Everything Kyle Lowry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackjitsu; wrote:
    saw this earlier on twitter. Thought it was funny so i'm re-posting it here:
    Awesooooooooome!

Comment

• So who will be giving Lowry the max in 1.5 years?

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
        538 has a really nice piece on Kyle's statistical impact:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...ls-dark-horse/
        This part was nice, and underscores just how elite Lowry has become.....

You’re only as good as your best player

It’s no secret that there’s a distinct relationship between a team’s championship probability and the quality of its best player, but it takes a truly exceptional player to make a run at a title. In the past, Lowry hasn’t been good enough to move that needle, but this season’s version is inching into the territory where small individual improvements can drastically upgrade a team’s chances of winning a championship.

We’d expect a team being led by Lowry at his previous career-high BPM of +5.9 to win the title about 5 percent of the time; at this season’s +7.2 mark, those odds are doubled, to 10 percent. (Not even Carter in his prime led Toronto with a BPM so high.) Add in a decent supporting cast — and it’s debatable as to whether Toronto has one of those, particularly with DeMarre Carroll on ice, but let’s entertain the notion anyway — and suddenly the idea of a championship parade down Bay Street doesn’t seem quite so pie-in-the-sky

Comment

• It's pretty remarkable how good Lowry is. You can't put him ahead of Carter (his 2000 and 2001 seasons were pretty epic), but one more season like this one, and I think he supplants Bosh as the 2nd most valuable Raptor ever.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
            It's pretty remarkable how good Lowry is. You can't put him ahead of Carter (his 2000 and 2001 seasons were pretty epic), but one more season like this one, and I think he supplants Bosh as the 2nd most valuable Raptor ever.
            I honestly think he might have already passed Bosh.

In all honesty; hope he finishes his career with us (as I think he will still be a valuable player even after he begins to decline). It'd be good to have a player who's jersey we could retire without controversy.
            "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
            "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
              I honestly think he might have already passed Bosh.

In all honesty; hope he finishes his career with us (as I think he will still be a valuable player even after he begins to decline). It'd be good to have a player who's jersey we could retire without controversy.
              Tough to punish Bosh for having to play with Bargnani, and the current bench talent that Masai assembles surpasses many of the starting lineups that Bosh had to work with. Masai is making a lot of people look good around here.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                Tough to punish Bosh for having to play with Bargnani, and the current bench talent that Masai assembles surpasses many of the starting lineups that Bosh had to work with. Masai is making a lot of people look good around here.
                I actually took that into account. Bosh never played with any good teams with us (more on BC than him). That's actually why I went with might (as well as him having more success outside of his Raptors days).

The funniest thing about it though is that I think, as currently constructed, this would be the perfect team for Bosh (I honestly do think that if we had Bosh as our starting 4; we'd be a legitimate title contender).
                Last edited by Just Is; Mon Jan 18, 2016, 11:27 AM.
                "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Don't know if this has already been posted elsewhere, but interesting article on Lowry's transformation this offseason.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14...ll-star-levels
                  If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• just is wrote: View Post
                    (i honestly do think that if we had bosh as our starting 4; we'd be a legitimate title contender).
                    what?

Comment

• A very similar player to Lowry has led a team to a championship before... his name is Chauncey Billups.

Oddly enough his sidekick Rip was pretty similar to DeMar.

Comparison dies there though lol. We ain't got no Sheed we ain't got no Big Ben. But maybe we can make it work in a different way.

Comment

• The story with Lowry and Billups is oddly similar.

Score first guards who didn't really get a real shot at running a team full-time until their mid-late 20s. Then blossomed into all-star in their late twenties. Billups went on to play at a star level until he was like 34. Maybe Lowry can do the same.

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
                          what?
                          He said he thinks if we had bosh as our starting 4 we'd be a legitimate title contender
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                            The story with Lowry and Billups is oddly similar.

Score first guards who didn't really get a real shot at running a team full-time until their mid-late 20s. Then blossomed into all-star in their late twenties. Billups went on to play at a star level until he was like 34. Maybe Lowry can do the same.
                            Rip and DD are somewhat similar as well. Maybe JV can approach big Ben for game impact (obv no defensively but overall). Carroll imo is better than tayshaun, we just need our 4, as everyone is well aware.
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
                              what?
                              From strictly a talent perspective, if you were to insert Bosh as our starting 4; we'd be NBA Finals Contenders. Bosh provides the additional spacing we would need in the Startling line up; is great defensively at both the 4 and 5 (which helps give us a lethal 4/5 combination with him and JV) and, most importantly, would help allow Lowry to be fresher in the post season.

The only thing that wouldn't make that team a title contender is Casey and I don't think even he could mess this one up.
                              Last edited by Just Is; Fri Jan 22, 2016, 02:15 PM.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                                Rip and DD are somewhat similar as well. Maybe JV can approach big Ben for game impact (obv no defensively but overall). Carroll imo is better than tayshaun, we just need our 4, as everyone is well aware.
                                Yeah JV is never touching Big Ben's impact unfortunately. He was basically the equivalent of Steph's offense but on the defensive end.

Rip and DD is oddly similar too. Both guys were pretty inefficient mid-range jumpshooters until Rip randomly got efficient at age 27, and DD is doing the same thing now at 26. They did it differently though. Rip just got absurdly good at shooting long 2s and added a respectable 3. DeRozan is doing it by attacking the paint more.

Comment

Working...
                                X