Everything Kyle Lowry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
    Saw this on real gm. He leads the league in minutes per game now. Expect another shitty playoff performance?
    He's technically tied with LaVine, so yay?

I do think his minutes will come down a bit, we're just out of the worst schedule stretch of the season that we played without Patterson. Over the next few games we should see some garbage time (Casey definitely needs to initiate that sooner though) which should bring his average down a bit. Sadly, my dream of him not being in the top 10 in minutes appears to be dead, though you never know if maybe Wright can win some minutes (for example, if he is more effective with the DeMar+bench unit than Joseph is, you could see more minutes for that unit).
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
      Saw this on real gm. He leads the league in minutes per game now. Expect another shitty playoff performance?
      OG is our king

Comment

• Casey doesn't deserve a lot of the criticism he gets, but it's hard to sugar coat this one.
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
          Casey doesn't deserve a lot of the criticism he gets, but it's hard to sugar coat this one.
          Regular season Lowry gets Casey PAID and has given him relatively long-term NBA job security. People seem to forget about the personal livelihood aspect. Playoff success is a crap-shoot, but racking up regular season wins are an easy bird-in-hand for Casey with Lowry + the Raps overall talent depth. 90% of people would do exactly the same if they were in Casey's shoes.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
            Regular season Lowry gets Casey PAID and has given him relatively long-term NBA job security. People seem to forget about the personal livelihood aspect. Playoff success is a crap-shoot, but racking up regular season wins are an easy bird-in-hand for Casey with Lowry + the Raps overall talent depth. 90% of people would do exactly the same if they were in Casey's shoes.
            I don't think Casey has ulterior motives for playing Lowry heavy minutes. He's just trying to win games, and doesn't trust anyone else to close them out.

I mean, can we really blame Casey? This team operates much differently when Lowry's sitting.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
              I don't think Casey has ulterior motives for playing Lowry heavy minutes. He's just trying to win games, and doesn't trust anyone else to close them out.

I mean, can we really blame Casey? This team operates much differently when Lowry's sitting.
              ^This
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

If you asked the same question in previous years I'm sure you would be able to find a few people whom could. Fortunately, we've all come to realize what the head coach already knew. Go figure.

Comment

We can, yes. Lowry has not been healthy by the time the playoffs rolled around the past 2 seasons. And he's playing the heaviest minutes in the league. Is sitting Lowry vs any team maybe other than the Nets almost guarantee a loss? Maybe, maybe even probably. But other coaches do punt games to preserve their older stars. I'm not saying Casey is absolutely wrong in what he's doing, but it certainly is questionable.
                  If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• I think lowry will sit against some sad sack teams once wright is back.
                    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                      We can, yes. Lowry has not been healthy by the time the playoffs rolled around the past 2 seasons. And he's playing the heaviest minutes in the league. Is sitting Lowry vs any team maybe other than the Nets almost guarantee a loss? Maybe, maybe even probably. But other coaches do punt games to preserve their older stars. I'm not saying Casey is absolutely wrong in what he's doing, but it certainly is questionable.
                      In terms of Casey not punting games, that's a relatively new strategy made famous by Popovich over the past few years. It's not necessarily something that coaches were often doing before. But Casey seems old school, unwilling to let the schedule be an excuse for anything.

"Play Raptors ball regardless of who your opponent is. POUND THE ROCK!"
                      Last edited by Nilanka; Fri Jan 13, 2017, 03:35 PM.

Comment

In terms of Casey not punting games, that's a relatively new strategy made famous by Popovich over the past few years. It's not necessarily something that coaches were often doing before. But Casey seems old school, unwilling to let the schedule be an excuse for anything.

"Play Raptors ball regardless of who your opponent is. POUND THE ROCK!"
                        With greater recognition comes higher expectations. From Masai on down, everybody in the Raps organization is talking about getting to the next level - which means getting beyond ECF. Sure, we probably won't beat Lebron with a healthy Lowry, but we've got absolutely no chance with a burnt-out Lowry.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                          With greater recognition comes higher expectations. From Masai on down, everybody in the Raps organization is talking about getting to the next level - which means getting beyond ECF. Sure, we probably won't beat Lebron with a healthy Lowry, but we've got absolutely no chance with a burnt-out Lowry.
                          Devils advocate: sure, we probably wouldn't beat lebron with home court, but we've got absolutely no chance with 3 home games vs 4.

Also, there's no guarantee lowry does or doesn't burn out on 4 less minutes per game. More likely is Boston would catch us and itd be a real uphill battle

Comment

• Also: maybe we should stop blaming casey, and start realizing it's up to cojo and demar to a lesser extent ross to show that they're capable of being a net positive without him

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              Also: maybe we should stop blaming casey, and start realizing it's up to cojo and demar to a lesser extent ross to show that they're capable of being a net positive without him
                              Joseph's playing about 3 minutes less per game this year and, let's be honest, he has really struggled out there at times on both ends of the floor, which has forced Casey's hand. I recall that he had the flu (???) or some other illnesses early in the year, so maybe those have taken a toll on him physically early in the year and he hasn't fully recovered but he needs to be better.

Comment

Yep.

As much as people don't like it we need Lowry (and DeMar, but moreso Kyle) out there a lot to be able to secure victories. You start fiddling with his minutes and underplaying him and the margin of error to drop to the 3rd or 4th seed really isn't that big. People say it doesn't matter, but considering how dominant we were at home in the playoffs last year (8-3) and how terrible we were on the road (2-7) I wouldn't want to start gambling on not having homecourt advantage in the 2nd round or *shudder* playing fucking Cleveland in the 2nd round.

However I think if we gave Powell a chance in CoJo's role (will likely never happen) I honestly think we could play Lowry less because of the improvement backing him up. A lot of people are really against that for whatever reason though so idk.

Comment

Working...
                                X