Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark
    replied
    Also, easy to forget just how good of a playmaker Calderon was. Sublime quarterbacking skills. This record took Lowry a long time.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    Congrats GROAT. Keep building that hall of fame resume!

Leave a comment:

• bertarapsfan
    replied

For those still unwilling to relinquish the GROAT crown to Lowry

Leave a comment:

• MixxAOR
    replied
    Congrats to Number 7

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    Groat!!

Leave a comment:

• GOLDBLUM
    replied
    S.R. wrote: View Post
    Or celebrities getting honorary degrees. The whole thing is fundamentally self-serving on the part of the college/university. They attach themselves to some high quality name recognition by handing out prizes that cost them nothing.
    For sure. That said, it’s my impression that Kyle credits a great deal of his talent, growth and skill as a basketball player and as a person to Jay Wright and the program at Villanova, and again, that’s perfectly legitimate that they should feel comfortable taking come credit in that, and subsequently celebrating/honouring him.

Maybe I’m wrong but I’m sensing some cynicism widely here on this...

Perhaps my glasses are rose coloured.

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    Or celebrities getting honorary degrees. The whole thing is fundamentally self-serving on the part of the college/university. They attach themselves to some high quality name recognition by handing out prizes that cost them nothing.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post

That's exactly what I'm saying...he's retired because of his post college contributions to the school, and his name recognition now after all his accomplishments. It has very little to do with his villanova athletic performance, where as it was said, randy foye was the better college player
    This is basically the equivalent of a very rich person giving a sizable charitable donation and getting a hospital wing named after them. Just think of it as "The Kyle Lowry Ob-Gyn Clinic."

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

Sure, that’s all well-documented. But the fact that the guy continues to be heavily interested and involved with the program, on top of now being an NBA Champion and the GROAT... I think it’s silly to call into question his legitimacy here.
    That's exactly what I'm saying...he's retired because of his post college contributions to the school, and his name recognition now after all his accomplishments. It has very little to do with his villanova athletic performance, where as it was said, randy foye was the better college player

Leave a comment:

• GOLDBLUM
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post

Ding ding ding, we have a winner

Sure, that’s all well-documented. But the fact that the guy continues to be heavily interested and involved with the program, on top of now being an NBA Champion and the GROAT... I think it’s silly to call into question his legitimacy here.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    chris wrote: View Post

it's great for kyle but strikes me as a little bit odd unless they're retiring all four of the guards that were the identity of those teams. kyle was a key contributor along with nardi, but foye and allen ray really did the heavy lifting.

they all had full careers there too while kyle left after his sophomore. i know kyle made other contributions like donate shitloads of money though.
    Ding ding ding, we have a winner

Leave a comment:

• chris
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    Heard this mentioned on the broadcast tonight.. and yeah they're right. Vilanova is retiring Kyle's college number:

it's great for kyle but strikes me as a little bit odd unless they're retiring all four of the guards that were the identity of those teams. kyle was a key contributor along with nardi, but foye and allen ray really did the heavy lifting.

they all had full careers there too while kyle left after his sophomore. i know kyle made other contributions like donate shitloads of money though.

Leave a comment:

• bertarapsfan
    replied
    Well deserved wont be the last time either... Villanova has had a long line of PGs making the nba in recent years and i think the success of kyle/ his financial contributions to the program and Jay wright ability to point to Kyle and say look what happens when you buy into the program has a had a huge impact

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Heard this mentioned on the broadcast tonight.. and yeah they're right. Vilanova is retiring Kyle's college number:

Leave a comment:

• Zak24gege
    replied
    inthepaint wrote: View Post

Yeah I've been hearing some variation of "Kyle Lowry will be on the decline soon" or the "the way he plays he gets injured too much and will decline soon" since he was 28. What came instead was 5 all-star games, olympic medals, an ECF, and an NBA championship instead.
    His scoring and assist rates are both close to his career highs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X