Raptors - under the radar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors - under the radar?

This is inspired by the most recent MVP rankings on NBA.com, which suggests that Raps are under the radar considering the resurgence of the Nets, the improbable success of the Bulls, and of course, the dominance of the Pacers and Heat.

If we were to extend this "under the radar" characterization league wide, would you consider the Raptors to be the most under the radar team in the league?

We all know we are at a disadvantage up here regarding media exposure, but is this simply the only reason we could be considered "under the radar"? We are good, but get little recognition south of the border and are thus under the radar? Or are we under the radar because the team is possibly better than our record indicates, and the Raps are possibly a sleeper team? Or does it have something to do with the Eastern conference, because I would not consider any team in the West to be under the radar? Is under the radar the same as under-rated? What about WAS and CHA, where do they fit in?

I get the sense that if any other team in the league had a turnaround like the Raps have had, they would be getting a lot more recognition and media coverage and subsequently wouldn't be 'under the radar'. So, please, can someone tell me that this idea of under the radar is not a result of the lack of media coverage in the US?

JawsGT wrote: View Post
    This is inspired by the most recent MVP rankings on NBA.com, which suggests that Raps are under the radar considering the resurgence of the Nets, the improbable success of the Bulls, and of course, the dominance of the Pacers and Heat.

If we were to extend this "under the radar" characterization league wide, would you consider the Raptors to be the most under the radar team in the league?

We all know we are at a disadvantage up here regarding media exposure, but is this simply the only reason we could be considered "under the radar"? We are good, but get little recognition south of the border and are thus under the radar? Or are we under the radar because the team is possibly better than our record indicates, and the Raps are possibly a sleeper team? Or does it have something to do with the Eastern conference, because I would not consider any team in the West to be under the radar? Is under the radar the same as under-rated? What about WAS and CHA, where do they fit in?

I get the sense that if any other team in the league had a turnaround like the Raps have had, they would be getting a lot more recognition and media coverage and subsequently wouldn't be 'under the radar'. So, please, can someone tell me that this idea of under the radar is not a result of the lack of media coverage in the US?
    I think it's a combination of things:

-the team appears to be over-achieving in some respect (nobody knows if this is sustainable)
    -lack of starpower (Derozan and Lowry haven't been known stars in the league very long)
    -lack of experience (hard to take the team serious when they don't have much playoff experience)

Meanwhile, the Nets are already looking like contenders in the eyes of the US media since they are on fire and they have star players with tons of experience. The Bulls also have more experience and are more well known (because of their playoff success in recent years).

-If the Raps continue winning for a few years with constant star power, they will get the attention they deserve

Comment

It's frustrating for us as fans to remember that Brooklyn, NYC, and LA get the most coverage simply because they have more people and drive more business to the media companies.

As much as we like to think that there is some sort of unbiased ideal driving the stories, the truth is, there is simply more money in getting people in Brooklyn to watch the Nets then there is for NBA.com or ESPN to drive American viewers towards the Raptors.

Bottom line: this doesn't really have to do with basketball.

The best thing for us to do is keep winning, and that our fan base is known as one of the best in the league (which we are, despite our crankiness and the whole 100 point pizza fiasco)

Comment

Under the radar? Yes. Why? Cause the league and the media like their stars. And the Raptors dont have any. If one looks at the leader teams of each of the 6 divisions (sometimes 2 teams) each will have at least a well known star/superstar player. Team pedigree/history as well accounts for it. In NBA historical terms the Raptors have none. Hope this year will contribute something positive to that.

Comment

So are we the only under-the-radar team in the league?

Comment

I think so. Memphis maybe...they've silently cruised up to seventh in the loaded west.

Comment

So are we the only under-the-radar team in the league?
              The EC is so bad you'd need sonar, not a radar.

As for the WC, I think Memphis and Dallas are both somewhat under the radar. The top-6 teams (OKC, SA, LAC, GS, Houston, Portland) get most of the attention, but Memphis and Dallas are teams that I could see doing unexpectedly well in the playoffs. Memphis is finally healthy and improved their depth at the deadline, while Dallas is a veteran team whose slow, grinding style often works well come playoff time.

With the top-8 teams in the league so clearly visible (6 WC & 2 EC) and much of the league so obviously horrible, I think the few 2nd-tier decent teams are ironically standing out this season.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                The EC is so bad you'd need sonar, not a radar.

As for the WC, I think Memphis and Dallas are both somewhat under the radar. The top-6 teams (OKC, SA, LAC, GS, Houston, Portland) get most of the attention, but Memphis and Dallas are teams that I could see doing unexpectedly well in the playoffs. Memphis is finally healthy and improved their depth at the deadline, while Dallas is a veteran team whose slow, grinding style often works well come playoff time.

With the top-8 teams in the league so clearly visible (6 WC & 2 EC) and much of the league so obviously horrible, I think the few 2nd-tier decent teams are ironically standing out this season.
                The Pacers aren't doing that bad, I think you can add them as the 3rd EC team .

Comment

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
                  The best thing for us to do is keep winning, and that our fan base is known as one of the best in the league (which we are, despite our crankiness and the whole 100 point pizza fiasco)
                  Agreed. And while other team's give away stuff (ie. taco bell & mcdonald's) at the 100 mark, I would much rather have our fans excited for a special dunk by the Raptors amazing mascot at the 100 mark.

Comment

Not related, but I'm still amazed that Vazquez nearly put Josh Smith on a poster.

Maybe this would have put Toronto on the map..

'Air Vazquez"

Comment

Overheard in the crowd at the Nets/Raptors game: "Shouldn't we be killing the Raptors by now?"

Comment

allintheeyes wrote: View Post
                        Overheard in the crowd at the Nets/Raptors game: "Shouldn't we be killing the Raptors by now?"
                        Wow, Nets fans aren't even aware of how well we are playing and they are chasing us for the division. They must be very casual fans indeed...at least I hope!

Comment

The Raptors been one of the worst teams in the league for the past 20 years. Respect is earned, and the Raptors have not earned it yet. Not even a 3rd seed or a division title will do that. If they can repeat this accomplishment for the next 3-4 years and within that span become legit contenders (as Phil Jackson put it "win 40 games before they lose 20").. then they will probably get noticed.

So yes they are under the radar.. and most guys watching the league will probably continue to treat the Raptors as underdogs even if they get home court in the first round. But I think this team will be fine with that label. Easier to be an underdog than a favourite.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                            The Raptors been one of the worst teams in the league for the past 20 years. Respect is earned, and the Raptors have not earned it yet. Not even a 3rd seed or a division title will do that. If they can repeat this accomplishment for the next 3-4 years and within that span become legit contenders (as Phil Jackson put it "win 40 games before they lose 20").. then they will probably get noticed.

So yes they are under the radar.. and most guys watching the league will probably continue to treat the Raptors as underdogs even if they get home court in the first round. But I think this team will be fine with that label. Easier to be an underdog than a favourite.
                            I agree with this 100%

Weird comparison, but the jays have a a lot of respect of the MLB media and i think it's because we won 2 championships.

a 5 or 6 year stretch as a top 5 team in the east wil get us where we need to be

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                              Respect is earned, and the Raptors have not earned it yet. Not even a 3rd seed or a division title will do that.
                              I agree with this 100%

Look at even this year. There have been a few times when Toronto was starting to really put it together, and when all eyes seemed to be turning to them, a big game, and challenge would be there and they would lose. that kills attention fast. look at the brooklyn game, ESPN, CNNSI, Nba.com, they were all over that game, it was one to watch in their eyes, and Brooklyn seized that opportunity, not Toronto. Brooklyn was already starting to get the attention, now they have cemented it. Toronto is again, an afterthought because they simply cannot do it when it counts.

The Raps gotta put it together and win the bigs games.... the little ones count just as much in the standings, but the big ones...they count EVERYWHERE else.

Gotta bring it if ya want um to sing it

Comment

Working...
                              X