Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Is It Better That We Have Vasquez and Not Augustin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Is It Better That We Have Vasquez and Not Augustin?

When we got waived Augustin and eventually eventually made Grevis our backup, I thought that we would be in a better position, mostly because Vasquez is taller and thus less of a defensive liability.

I'm watching the Bulls-Rockets right now, and thinking about what we've seen from Vasquez so far, and I'm just wondering if we would not have been better off with Augustin. Vasquez is just as much of a defensive liability because...well...he sucks. And Augustin is a far superior offensive player

Maybe Augustin would have been better in the post Gay trade?

I'm afraid vasquez will give me a heart attack in the playoffs...

Augustin would have been better, in my opinion. Vasquez believes he's going to start in this league again. But as far as next year for a backup point guard, I want Kirk Hinrich.

Comment

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
      When we got waived Augustin and eventually eventually made Grevis our backup, I thought that we would be in a better position, mostly because Vasquez is taller and thus less of a defensive liability.

I'm watching the Bulls-Rockets right now, and thinking about what we've seen from Vasquez so far, and I'm just wondering if we would not have been better off with Augustin. Vasquez is just as much of a defensive liability because...well...he sucks. And Augustin is a far superior offensive player

Maybe Augustin would have been better in the post Gay trade?

I'm afraid vasquez will give me a heart attack in the playoffs...
      With the way Vasquez plays I guarantee you this will happen
      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

yea i'm curious to see how dj would've played post rudy gay. On the other hand, having two small point guards would've been a problem as casey constantly uses a 2 pg lineup.

Comment

Not sure if one is better than the other, or if that was part of the equation. The Raps needed to move a player. To make a trade work they had to get a return of 4 players while giving up 3 players. That meant taking on an extra contract.

From the outside it looks like they like Buycks potential, and want to develop him. So the choice was between Stone and DJ. Stone is longer and can play multiple positions. DJ wasn't getting the minutes on the floor that a vet would need to improve his value for future contracts, and was under-sized to play the 2 as explained by R4F.

Vasquez had a more difficult contract to buy out and can play on the floor and play some 2. That fits the coach's system. Yes, they could have kept him, but what type of player do you want at the end of the Rap bench? a young player with potential to grow? Or, a player who would be better served getting minutes on a team that needs his services? Hasn't this worked out for both teams, and players? I never saw this as either or.

A team can't keep all it's assets, let players be miserable at the end o the bench and expect free agents to sign contracts, or expect that the locker room won't be effected by the players' bitterness. Sometimes, the best move is to let a player play elsewhere.

Comment

DJ never seemed to get settled in TO and he never had the same type of opportunity he is getting in CHI. He needs a longer leash to be effective, and probably more minutes than he was getting here. I think he needs more freedom than he got in TO with the ball. I don't think Casey wanted or needed him to be a scorer, and that's what he is. Based on how he is playing now, he looks better than Vasquez, but CHI needs him to be a scorer more than we do, so ultimately I think it has worked out for everyone.

Comment

Every single player in the NBA has talent.... EVERY SINGLE ONE.

You don't reach the best league in the world without being dominant at some point along the way.

Often the difference between a successful career and getting bounced from the league for the majority of players (read: role players) is chance.

Opportunity, chemistry, and fit matter more to most NBA players than talent and skill, in my opinion.

Augustin had opportunities here.

It wasn't a fit.

For whatever reason what Casey wanted, Augustin couldn't deliver.

That is not a knock on Casey. THat is not a knock on AUgustin.

Augustin played well in Charlotte and Chicago.
              He did not play well in Indiana or Toronto.

Comment

Augustin didn't make the best of his opportunities.

But on the other hand, not sure what Casey was thinking splitting backup minutes between Augustin, Buycks and Stone. One is a proven NBA point guard, while the other 2 are D-Leaguers.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post

But on the other hand, not sure what Casey was thinking splitting backup minutes between Augustin, Buycks and Stone. One is a proven NBA point guard, while the other 2 are D-Leaguers.
                  That was my thought

I know everyone has talent, but Augustin was never given the 9 man rotation spot that vasquez has, and like I said, I don't think we would have been any worse off defensively.

Comment

That Chicago offense seems to be built for point guards to succeed. This is arguably the best DJ has looked his entire career similar to Nate Robinson in Chicago last year. As Matt already mentioned, DJ just didn't fit into the Raptors offense, and I'm not sure he would if you put him in this line up now either. Keep in mind he would be playing with the bench, not with the starting line up.

Comment

The point guard spot is difficult off the bench. Most backup PG's are tasked to shoulder quite a responsibility by having to get inferior players in better scoring positions and/or make a jump shot (when they themselves are cold coming off the bench). Even Lowry struggled off the bench when Jose was starting last year. GV averaged 9 apg when he played in NO as a starter.

I think DJ relishes his role in Chicago because he gets to play with the starting line up. His job becomes so much easier.

I'm happy for him. His play with the Bulls will most likely keep him in the league now at least for his next contract. What ticked me off was that MU waived him instead of traded him. For such an important piece in Chicago's line up - I'm sure they would have been willing to give us at least a 2nd rounder for him. Perhaps MU felt bad for the veteran and let him find a team of his choosing? Maybe he just wanted to do a solid for him and his agent perhaps... but it would have been nice to get an asset back after seeing what's he's been doing there in Chicago.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post

Don't forget guys, the backup spot was DJ's to lose at the beginning of the year. He wasn't delivering. He forced Casey to try out Dwight and Stone. DJ was also pretty terrible in Indiana last year, so it wasn't like he just got bad in TO.

Also, Thibs.
                        Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

How can people use the Rudy gay trade as an excuse? August in was getting like 14 min a night with the 2nd unit. It didn't work, nobody here thought t was working or would work. Move on.
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
                            Don't forget guys, the backup spot was DJ's to lose at the beginning of the year. He wasn't delivering. He forced Casey to try out Dwight and Stone. DJ was also pretty terrible in Indiana last year, so it wasn't like he just got bad in TO.

Also, Thibs.
                            But that's my question. What did he not deliver that vasquez is delivering? Why isn't vasquez in a 3 man platoon with Dwight and Stone?

Comment

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
                              But that's my question. What did he not deliver that vasquez is delivering? Why isn't vasquez in a 3 man platoon with Dwight and Stone?
                              Because he's better lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X