KD what the Raptors need: Kelly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KD what the Raptors need: Kelly

To the title of the article I say: no sh!t - he is what about 29 franchises in the league need outside Miami.

As for the article, Kelly takes a frequently whispered and tossed about idea from the deepest, inner sanctums of the world wide web and throws it in to the mainstream (be sure to click link).

He sent ripples through the city last year when he told radio host Dan Patrick that he grew up a Raptors fan. Patrick, caught off guard, injected an entire league’s worth of derision into the incredulous follow-up: “Why?”

He doubled down on that sentiment Friday.

“(I)’ve always been a big Toronto fan. I was definitely a fan (an upward tilt of the head and a small smile) but I play for Oklahoma City now.”
    Raptors GM Masai Ujiri does his evaluation in small chunks, normally, six games at a time. The larger MLSE apparatus thinks longer term. The most ambitious of those macro ambitions involves luring Durant to Toronto.

He is under contract to OKC for two more seasons — which is likely their championship window. If they can’t do it with this group, they won’t ever.
    On the night and given the goal, the eye was drawn to Drake’s courtside seats. He wasn’t in them (a couple of his bagmen were, in throwback gear).

Kevin Durant is Drake’s Manhattan Project. Luring the second-best player in basketball would allow him to retire as a volunteer recruiter and start owning a chunk of this thing. Durant in two years is Drake’s finish line.
    In all likelihood, Lowry will be fully functional and under contract. DeMar DeRozan will be in the middle of his prime. Jonas Valanciunas and Terrence Ross will be in the midst of arriving as something more than sporadic stars. Most tantalizing: Durant fits with that group. His stretch ability pulls everything apart for the perimeter players and slashers. His post-play frees Valanciunas from a duty he’ll never be suited to. That is a championship-calibre contingent.

Will it happen? Impossible to say. Durant is one of the few big stars who, when he says that his goal is to make history, you tend to believe. He won’t do that in New York or L.A. He could in Toronto.

He’ll have to leave some money on the table, but after the first $100 million it’s just notations in a bank book. Could be he gets that.

So will it happen? Maybe. Less than 50/50.

But is that the long-term goal for this newly ambitious Raptors franchise? 100 per cent.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...ed_kelly.html#

So are the Raptors on the KD train?
    Fav team growing up - check
    high school teammate and PG - check
    books clear for 2016 - check
    high profile management with a history of luring big stars - check
    ownership willing to spend - check
    major performing artist who KD is a fan of - check
    *bonus marks* friends with said performing artiest - check
    chilling with Landry Fields over the holidays - check

So what say ye? Is this for realsies?

Make it happen!
    We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

I'm sure TL and MU will do everything in their power, but Durrant, much like a Tim Duncan seems like a pretty loyal guy that I could see as being an OKC lifer (minus Seattle stint). I don't think I ever seen a simple statement by a player be as overblown on this site as the "I was a Raptor fan growing up" quote by Durrant. Says a lot for the the new expectations under TL and that is a really good thing.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        ...So what say ye? Is this for realsies?
        I've seen the signed letter of intent and the commitment contract. I just can't show them to you because that would be in violation of the

NBA's "Fan Revelation Regulations".

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
          I'm sure TL and MU will do everything in their power, but Durrant, much like a Tim Duncan seems like a pretty loyal guy that I could see as being an OKC lifer (minus Seattle stint). I don't think I ever seen a simple statement by a player be as overblown on this site as the "I was a Raptor fan growing up" quote by Durrant. Says a lot for the the new expectations under TL and that is a really good thing.
          Duncan was oh so close to going to Orlando earlier in his career. Orlando ended up signing grant hill instead (and t-Mac)

Comment

To the title of the article I say: no sh!t - he is what about 29 franchises in the league need outside Miami.

As for the article, Kelly takes a frequently whispered and tossed about idea from the deepest, inner sanctums of the world wide web and throws it in to the mainstream (be sure to click link).

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...ed_kelly.html#

So are the Raptors on the KD train?
            Fav team growing up - check
            high school teammate and PG - check
            books clear for 2016 - check
            high profile management with a history of luring big stars - check
            ownership willing to spend - check
            major performing artist who KD is a fan of - check
            *bonus marks* friends with said performing artiest - check
            chilling with Landry Fields over the holidays - check

So what say ye? Is this for realsies?
            I guess all that is left is to bring back his childhood hero in to the fold.... And prepare fan base with Wince specials.

Comment

Rocwell is daydreaming.

Bye

Comment

It'll be like him pulling a Lebron. I don't think he wants to follow in those footsteps. Besides, why leave a team contending for a championship for a team who just got in it this year with no experience? I can see him leaving if Westbrook leaves for L.A.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                  I don't think I ever seen a simple statement by a player be as overblown on this site as the "I was a Raptor fan growing up" quote by Durrant.

This IS Toronto, so it's not really surprising.

Comment

Jordan Evans wrote: View Post
                    It'll be like him pulling a Lebron. I don't think he wants to follow in those footsteps. Besides, why leave a team contending for a championship for a team who just got in it this year with no experience? I can see him leaving if Westbrook leaves for L.A.
                    I don't think it would be like him pulling a Lebron.

Lebron had ownership willing to spend to win; Durant does not.
                    Cleveland never let an all-NBA talent walk for what turned out to be little; OKC did.
                    Lebron left for a desired market; Toronto is not in that category among NBA players.

What might make the comparison similar?

If Durant gives no indication to his intentions and blindsides ownership/management (technically his right as an UFA though).
                    If KD holds an ESPN 1-hour special to announce his intentions.
                    If KD joins forces with 3 all-stars.
                    If he bolts to NY, LA, or Miami, i.e. the glamorous markets.

Westbrook expires one year after Durant. I don't think that plays in to his decision as he will be making a decision a year earlier.

FWIW, Brooklyn is the team I would be weary of if I was an OKC fan. They will have cap space in 2016.

Comment

I don't think it would be like him pulling a Lebron.

Lebron had ownership willing to spend to win; Durant does not.
                      Cleveland never let an all-NBA talent walk for what turned out to be little; OKC did.
                      Lebron left for a desired market; Toronto is not in that category among NBA players.

What might make the comparison similar?

If Durant gives no indication to his intentions and blindsides ownership/management (technically his right as an UFA though).
                      If KD holds an ESPN 1-hour special to announce his intentions.
                      If KD joins forces with 3 all-stars.
                      If he bolts to NY, LA, or Miami, i.e. the glamorous markets.

Westbrook expires one year after Durant. I don't think that plays in to his decision as he will be making a decision a year earlier.

FWIW, Brooklyn is the team I would be weary of if I was an OKC fan. They will have cap space in 2016.
                      Yeah I think the biggest thing that could make Durant leave is the fact the ownership isn't willing to spend. If they demonstrate that further the next couple of years, and they don't win the championship, then he might possibly leave.

I'll be cheering against Durant from now on though just so he wants to come to the Raptors

Comment

I'm not sure but with Lebron already coming here.... wont a line up or lowry, DD, KD, LBJ and JV be pretty decent?

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                          I'm not sure but with Lebron already coming here.... wont a line up or lowry, DD, KD, LBJ and JV be pretty decent?
                          yup, pretty decent. All 5 east all-star starters would come from one team.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                            To get both LeBron and KD, DD and KL will not be here.

Unfortunate, but the cost of striving for greatness.

Comment

To get both LeBron and KD, DD and KL will not be here.....
                              Then let's not do it. It wouldn't be loyal to our guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X