Team before all - deep heaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team before all - deep heaves

I recall last summer a conversation on this topic. There were a number of posters here who felt the half court heaves were meaningless and players were right not to let it fly. In this OKC article they take a quote from Casey:

So to consistently fire it up is to willingly take an automatic dip in your field goal percentage. And in a league that is so statistically driven, it also means a dip in your perceived value, however slight.

Reggie Jackson provides a great example. The Thunder’s third-year guard loves those shots, even searches them out. He has taken nine of them this season, more than half of the Thunder’s total (16) and more than Durant in his entire seven-year career (five).

But he’s missed all nine. And because of that, Jackson’s current 3-point percentage is at 32 instead of 34. Sounds minuscule, but for a guy who is nearing contract negotiation time and holds a ‘Can he consistently shoot 3s?’ label, it could play an important role.

“There's a lot of things being measured now, and guys know it,” Raptors coach Dwane Casey said, while also noting it’s a ploy that’s always been around in the NBA. “They know that their contracts probably can be based on that. So I'm sure there are some thoughts on that.”

But in the same light, some decision-makers could view the willingness to heave as a positive. Casey went as far as to call them “true winners that don't care and they'll still hoist it up there.”

Because however low the conversion percentage is for individuals, it’s still better than the alternative for their teams. This season alone, 51 points have resulted from halfcourt prayers.

“A shot not taken is a field goal missed,” Caron Butler said.

http://newsok.com/okc-thunder-buzzer...rticle/3946344

And every now and then a buzzer beater matters:

Usually we bring you the video of these half-court buzzer beaters just because they are fun shots to watch, they rarely have a big impact on the game itself.

But this one from the Clippers’ Jamal Crawford at the end of the third quarter did.

Crawford’s shot took a 2 point lead and jacked it up to 5. Fast forward to the end of the game and the Clippers won by just two (and got lucky at that as both Nikola Pekovic and Kevin Love missed point blank shots off offensive rebounds to tie the game and send it to OT). The difference ended up being this shot.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...matters-video/

Anyone ever notice DD often waits until after the buzzer?

Anyone ever notice Lowry does not?

haha, I remember this debate. Some felt that since the stars like Durant do it, that it's ok for Demar and Co. to do it as well.

I think in the end, we agreed that it's likely a generational thing and us old dudes simply cannot fathom the logic.

I don't buy the stats thing as being a real concern. If we (the fans) can track ridiculously detailed stats (like how many drives to the hoop that started from 20 feet or further out a player has per game), then I'm quite sure the men paid to evaluate players can quite easily track how many "buzzer heaves" a player took in a season and adjust the stats accordingly.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I'm on the fence on this issue.

From a team perspective, you want half-court heaves. Even a slight chance of making the shot is better than none.

But from a player's perspective, there are still some front offices who may not have fully embraced the analytics movement yet, and therefore would simply look at a player's FG% when making personnel decisions.

Comment

I've noticed specifically that lowry never gets it up in time. He never seems like he's in a hurry. I don't know if he is thinking about his average or just has no timing but he's always throwing something up after the clock is already done.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          I'm on the fence on this issue.

From a team perspective, you want half-court heaves. Even a slight chance of making the shot is better than none.

But from a player's perspective, there are still some front offices who may not have fully embraced the analytics movement yet, and therefore would simply look at a player's FG% when making personnel decisions.
          If a player is very concerned about though, then they could easily get their agent to do the analytic work and present it at negotiations.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

jacobdr4 wrote: View Post
            I've noticed specifically that lowry never gets it up in time. He never seems like he's in a hurry. I don't know if he is thinking about his average or just has no timing but he's always throwing something up after the clock is already done.
            Hmmmm

I could be wrong then.

I always thought he got them off.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Hmmmm

I could be wrong then.

I always thought he got them off.
              For the most part he does, but DeMar syndrome sometimes gets the best of him.
              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

One thing I hate about Derozan is he never does the half court heave at the end of quarters, he waits to hear the horn go off and then he heaves it, he's too fucking worried about his FG%, it pisses me off so much.

Comment

I read an article a few years ago about how the Rockets actually tracked these kinds of shots and re-calculated a player's percentages. If a front office is so stupid it's basing it's evaluation of a player without doing advanced due diligence to account for variable like this then that's a front office that doesn't have a clue what it is doing....

Comment

we wouldn't have won that game in brooklyn if lowry didn't heave it at half time for the 3 extra points.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                      we wouldn't have won that game in brooklyn if lowry didn't heave it at half time for the 3 extra points.
                      Well in fairness to the non-heavers, basketball, and life in general, doesn't actually turn out that way. 3 points at one point of the game is actually different from 3 points at another point. A missed layup in the 2nd quarter doesn't mean you would've won the game you lost by 1-point.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                        Well in fairness to the non-heavers, basketball, and life in general, doesn't actually turn out that way. 3 points at one point of the game is actually different from 3 points at another point. A missed layup in the 2nd quarter doesn't mean you would've won the game you lost by 1-point.
                        oh totally. i was just speaking of the score. if we didnt have that extra 3 points we would have still lost by 1 even with the ppat steal and bucket at the end. i'm sure a lot of other tangibles/intangibles would have been altered/different plays executed etc etc if that hadn't have happened of course. either way, he did heave it before the buzzer.
                        Last edited by iblastoff; Mon Mar 24, 2014, 10:23 AM.

Comment

The Raps have taken 10 heaves past half court and made 2.

3 attempts each by Lowry and Ross, 2 by Vasquez and 1 each by DD and Hayes. Lowry and Ross have the makes.
                          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

I find it funny that guys would be concerned about their stats by taking shots like that.. where was your head when you decided to take a 19 foot 2 point shot with more than 15 seconds left in the shot clock?

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                              The Raps have taken 10 heaves past half court and made 2.

3 attempts each by Lowry and Ross, 2 by Vasquez and 1 each by DD and Hayes. Lowry and Ross have the makes.
                              are they all heaves attempted before the clock ran out?

Comment

Working...
                              X