No announcement yet.

Offseason: Its contract extension time: What I would offer and why edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 years, $40 million is my max for Lowry. As dynamite as he's been this season, I just don't think you can give him $13-$14 million dollars a year based on one season essentially. I'd be fine if Ujiri gets creative with front loading his deal, but I think if you're paying KL big money in 2018 (or 2019 if he gets his fifth year) you're going to be regretting it.

$16 million over 4 years for 2Pat and something similar for Vasquez. They need to be value contracts going forward. I don't think you can pay the mid level or more for guys that should be bench pieces.

De Colo is nothing more than a minimum salary type and even then I'm not sure it's with the Raps. The team already has Stone and Buycks in the system for next year potentially and dedicating more cap room and a roster spot to De Colo doesn't make much sense to me.

Comment

It will take more than $10 million and 4 years to sign lowry. From Toronto, he wants a minimum of 5 year, 60 million.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        When you consider Holiday and Lawson they were 23 and 25 when they got their contracts.

You still have upside potential.

Lowry is finally showing what many thought he would do all along. The only problem is he is 28 at the start of next season.

If you're going to give Lowry more than $10M it should be less than 4 seasons.

If a team wants to give him $12-13M for l4 years, let them.

This is not about 2014-15. This is about 2016-17 onwards.
        There's the potential angle, but there's also actual performance angle. Lowry is considerably better than Lawson and especially than Holiday at the time of that signing.

I have a feeling that Ujiri would still sign him at 13 mil. It's a bit risky but there's no risk free way to get a star. It's basically identical to Nene situation, isn't it. A winning team, the best player having a career year, in late 20s, history of injuries. Ujiri gave him 5/65 and then traded him half a season later. It makes sense to go from 10 to 13 mil. At his best, Lowry is a max player and a star, and history tells us that it's harder to get a star than get rid of an overpaid not-quite-star.

Comment

themasao wrote: View Post
          Hey guys, shouldn't we pick up Salmons' $7,000,000 team option though?? He's a great glue guy!
          Of COURSE we should keep him! Vets win games after all.
          The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
            There's the potential angle, but there's also actual performance angle. Lowry is considerably better than Lawson and especially than Holiday at the time of that signing.

I have a feeling that Ujiri would still sign him at 13 mil. It's a bit risky but there's no risk free way to get a star. It's basically identical to Nene situation, isn't it. A winning team, the best player having a career year, in late 20s, history of injuries. Ujiri gave him 5/65 and then traded him half a season later. It makes sense to go from 10 to 13 mil. At his best, Lowry is a max player and a star, and history tells us that it's harder to get a star than get rid of an overpaid not-quite-star.
            There definitely is the potential angle. There is the potential:

1) Lowry gets out of shape again,
            2) Lowry gets injured again as per his career history,
            3) Lowry gets difficult to work with again as he has a guaranteed contract,
            4) Lowry had another in a long line of contract year performances.

I definitely want to think the best of him but there is a lot of potential for a return to the median. This season was the year so many had called for the previous 3 seasons. I will continue to #FearTheContractYear

Comment

Working...
            X