X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jclaw
    replied
    wallz wrote: View Post
    Good point to bring up. I'd like to see some sort of stat that shows how well the team executes in the last 2 minutes compared to the overall 4th quarter
    Since you asked.....
    Not really a stat but it's topical

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/...as-gone-wrong/

Leave a comment:

• white men can't jump
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post
    You don't run plays for Novak. He's a spot-up shooter. He needs to play with guys who draw doubles and require help for him to be effective (or you have to hit him in secondary transition). Toronto has/does none of the above most of the time.
    Yeah, and that's the problem. By run plays I just generally meant that he's a total afterthought in their offence, even as a secondary option. They don't need to run plays just to get him a shot (although I still think they might as well since they can basically use him in Ross' position in the same sets where they get him a corner 3). But the ball doesn't swing a lot at all, and often a couple of guys are left standing around with no role (one of them often being Novak). There's little done to collapse the D and make them scramble, which is often where you get open shots.

Common play with the bench unit: Vasquez or Salmons run the p'n'r at the wing, drive until they either shoot or kick it back out to the opposite wing, where either Vasquez or Salmons is open enough to shoot (hopefully, they take it even sometimes when it's a bad shot). We're lucky if 2 guys touch the ball, basically.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Don't forget Novak! Who we never run any plays for....
    You don't run plays for Novak. He's a spot-up shooter. He needs to play with guys who draw doubles and require help for him to be effective (or you have to hit him in secondary transition). Toronto has/does none of the above most of the time.

Leave a comment:

• white men can't jump
    replied
    Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    I'm no coach, and don't proclaim to know how one thinks or strategizes, but sometimes players like Novak are used as a threat to score and spread out a defense, but not intended to score the ball. It could be the case for why Novak is in games. More because of the threat he poses which opens up higher percentage shots in the paint, and less to actually shoot the ball himself.

As far as my opinion on Casey I think he's done a great job with the talent he has on the roster. I think people are getting ahead of themselves and think because we were in 3rd place that we have a great team or a lot of talent and thats not the case. Nobody on this roster besides Lowry really has a high basketball IQ or are what you could call a stud.
    Yeah, but he literally won't run any plays for Novak a lot of the time. To contrast, we actually have some sets that are designed to have Ross be the primary option to catch and shoot, especially for corner 3s, or plays where Lowry or Vasquez are the secondary options at the wing to take open 3s (usually off a DeMar or Salmons p'n'r). Novak is often left just standing around, with no real action to find him some space. If a guy is supposed to attract attention from his mere presence, well that will only work consistently if you actually utilize him a fair amount as well...

Leave a comment:

• Mediumcore
    replied
    I'm no coach, and don't proclaim to know how one thinks or strategizes, but sometimes players like Novak are used as a threat to score and spread out a defense, but not intended to score the ball. It could be the case for why Novak is in games. More because of the threat he poses which opens up higher percentage shots in the paint, and less to actually shoot the ball himself.

As far as my opinion on Casey I think he's done a great job with the talent he has on the roster. I think people are getting ahead of themselves and think because we were in 3rd place that we have a great team or a lot of talent and thats not the case. Nobody on this roster besides Lowry really has a high basketball IQ or are what you could call a stud.

Leave a comment:

• Mediumcore
    replied
    psrs1 wrote: View Post
    The players are to blame for not showing up but Casey failed to put players in the best position to be successful when it was 96-95 onwards.
    I don't know about that. If the players could have made their free throws it would be a completely different story.

Leave a comment:

• white men can't jump
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post
    Look at who he plays with as opposed to Lowry. Vasquez is out there with Hayes, Hansbrough, Salmons...... he has to score.
    Don't forget Novak! Who we never run any plays for....

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    MACK11 wrote: View Post
    Vasquez averages 14FGA per 36.
    Kyle Lowry averages 13 FGA per 36

That's ridiculous Casey needs to tell Vasquez your not a scorer and start passing the Fucking ball!

How can Vas shoot more per 36 then KLOW7???
    Look at who he plays with as opposed to Lowry. Vasquez is out there with Hayes, Hansbrough, Salmons...... he has to score.

Leave a comment:

• JawsGT
    replied
    psrs1 wrote: View Post
    The players are to blame for not showing up but Casey failed to put players in the best position to be successful when it was 96-95 onwards.
    I disagree, they executed poorly down the stretch...players fault. And if they had to show up to play, then they should have been blowing out the Cavs and resting for most of the 4th. Like Casey said, the game was lost in the 1st.

Leave a comment:

• MACK11
    replied
    Vasquez averages 14FGA per 36.
    Kyle Lowry averages 13 FGA per 36

That's ridiculous Casey needs to tell Vasquez your not a scorer and start passing the Fucking ball!

How can Vas shoot more per 36 then KLOW7???

Leave a comment:

• JimiCliff
    replied
    wallz wrote: View Post
    Is he really that bad? I feel like the consensus here is that he can't manage substitutions and late game situations, making him a terrible coach...

BUT...

is it possible to say that this team, with this current roster, isn't well coached? (considering their over-achieving record and improvement of young players)

I feel like I'll get ripped apart for saying this, but Casey has been a good coach this year. He managed to coach this team to relevancy for the first time in years, and is in the running for COY. Rip apart his coaching schemes all you want, but they have made this team the best 4th quarter team in the league (which means they execute when it matters), and a record well above .500 with a very young core group of players

and he STILL gets all the blame for MOST losses. Obviously some of his decisions frustrate me as well (e.g., Lowry not getting last shot in Cleveland), but is it really fair to blame the guy that arguably is one of the biggest reasons the Raptors are where they are now?

EDIT: Misspelt his name in the title, please fix mods lol
    Everything in bold is a really interesting issue. I remember hearing Chuck Klosterman on a Simmons podcast bringing up an excellent point along the same lines as what you're talking about. The point was:

How much is coaching about what the players are being taught when they aren't playing games, and how much is about in-game strategy?

All we ever see is in-game strategy, so that's what we make our assessments on. But there's definitely more going on.

I get the feeling that Casey's an excellent coach away from the games. However, it seems clear to me that he's severely limited as an in-game coach.

And that, to me, suggests he's better suited to being a lead assistant.

Leave a comment:

• MACK11
    replied
    MACK11 wrote: View Post
    The one thing about Casey that makes me extremely angry is his infatuation with veteran players. He will always play the vet for no reason at all and that in itself has cost of some games
    an example of this was yesterday's game against the Cavs

He subbed in Steve Novak for Terrence Ross which made no sense because both a great shooters. Terrence was 4-9 from 3 in the game and Novak was 1-5

So why sub in Novak for someone who was already warm and making 3's during the game?

Novak came off the bench and he was cold so the only reason the substitution happened was because Novak is a Vet and Terrence is a second year player.

I just don't understand Casey's love for Vets when they are not gonna help us win more than the younger guy will

Leave a comment:

• MACK11
    replied
    The one thing about Casey that makes me extremely angry is his infatuation with veteran players. He will always play the vet for no reason at all and that in itself has cost of some games

Leave a comment:

• psrs1
    replied
    jacobdr4 wrote: View Post
    I feel like casey is a good out of game coach. He can run sets in practice and get the guys to know how to play and how to get ready. Seems like when things go bad he can't adjust very well.

He also struggles with in game plays and lineups. Seems like the type of coach who is a great guy to have a practice but you don't want running the show during the game. Probably why he makes such a great assistant.
    Good assessment.

Leave a comment:

• psrs1
    replied
    JawsGT wrote: View Post
    The Cleveland loss had absolutely nothing to do with Casey's coaching ability...it was all on the players for shitting the bed through 2-1/2 Q's.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X