Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vasquez averages 14FGA per 36.
    Kyle Lowry averages 13 FGA per 36

That's ridiculous Casey needs to tell Vasquez your not a scorer and start passing the Fucking ball!

How can Vas shoot more per 36 then KLOW7???
    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
      The players are to blame for not showing up but Casey failed to put players in the best position to be successful when it was 96-95 onwards.
      I disagree, they executed poorly down the stretch...players fault. And if they had to show up to play, then they should have been blowing out the Cavs and resting for most of the 4th. Like Casey said, the game was lost in the 1st.

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
        Vasquez averages 14FGA per 36.
        Kyle Lowry averages 13 FGA per 36

That's ridiculous Casey needs to tell Vasquez your not a scorer and start passing the Fucking ball!

How can Vas shoot more per 36 then KLOW7???
        Look at who he plays with as opposed to Lowry. Vasquez is out there with Hayes, Hansbrough, Salmons...... he has to score.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
          Look at who he plays with as opposed to Lowry. Vasquez is out there with Hayes, Hansbrough, Salmons...... he has to score.
          Don't forget Novak! Who we never run any plays for....

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
            The players are to blame for not showing up but Casey failed to put players in the best position to be successful when it was 96-95 onwards.
            I don't know about that. If the players could have made their free throws it would be a completely different story.

Comment

I'm no coach, and don't proclaim to know how one thinks or strategizes, but sometimes players like Novak are used as a threat to score and spread out a defense, but not intended to score the ball. It could be the case for why Novak is in games. More because of the threat he poses which opens up higher percentage shots in the paint, and less to actually shoot the ball himself.

As far as my opinion on Casey I think he's done a great job with the talent he has on the roster. I think people are getting ahead of themselves and think because we were in 3rd place that we have a great team or a lot of talent and thats not the case. Nobody on this roster besides Lowry really has a high basketball IQ or are what you could call a stud.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                I'm no coach, and don't proclaim to know how one thinks or strategizes, but sometimes players like Novak are used as a threat to score and spread out a defense, but not intended to score the ball. It could be the case for why Novak is in games. More because of the threat he poses which opens up higher percentage shots in the paint, and less to actually shoot the ball himself.

As far as my opinion on Casey I think he's done a great job with the talent he has on the roster. I think people are getting ahead of themselves and think because we were in 3rd place that we have a great team or a lot of talent and thats not the case. Nobody on this roster besides Lowry really has a high basketball IQ or are what you could call a stud.
                Yeah, but he literally won't run any plays for Novak a lot of the time. To contrast, we actually have some sets that are designed to have Ross be the primary option to catch and shoot, especially for corner 3s, or plays where Lowry or Vasquez are the secondary options at the wing to take open 3s (usually off a DeMar or Salmons p'n'r). Novak is often left just standing around, with no real action to find him some space. If a guy is supposed to attract attention from his mere presence, well that will only work consistently if you actually utilize him a fair amount as well...

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  Don't forget Novak! Who we never run any plays for....
                  You don't run plays for Novak. He's a spot-up shooter. He needs to play with guys who draw doubles and require help for him to be effective (or you have to hit him in secondary transition). Toronto has/does none of the above most of the time.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                    You don't run plays for Novak. He's a spot-up shooter. He needs to play with guys who draw doubles and require help for him to be effective (or you have to hit him in secondary transition). Toronto has/does none of the above most of the time.
                    Yeah, and that's the problem. By run plays I just generally meant that he's a total afterthought in their offence, even as a secondary option. They don't need to run plays just to get him a shot (although I still think they might as well since they can basically use him in Ross' position in the same sets where they get him a corner 3). But the ball doesn't swing a lot at all, and often a couple of guys are left standing around with no role (one of them often being Novak). There's little done to collapse the D and make them scramble, which is often where you get open shots.

Common play with the bench unit: Vasquez or Salmons run the p'n'r at the wing, drive until they either shoot or kick it back out to the opposite wing, where either Vasquez or Salmons is open enough to shoot (hopefully, they take it even sometimes when it's a bad shot). We're lucky if 2 guys touch the ball, basically.

Comment

wallz wrote: View Post
                      Good point to bring up. I'd like to see some sort of stat that shows how well the team executes in the last 2 minutes compared to the overall 4th quarter
                      Since you asked.....
                      Not really a stat but it's topical

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/...as-gone-wrong/

Comment

Casey: We are only down 2 on the road let's go for the tie.
                        Bayno: We have 12 seconds Dwane, wouldn't it make sense to make a set play?
                        Casey: Did you go to the All-Star game this year?
                        Bayno: No
                        Casey: Well, it's DeMar for 2 then okay?
                        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Casey has great defensive philosophies for sure.
                          He's a good locker room guy, and he can get his young guys working on defense.
                          He likes fundamentals, and pushes his guys on D.

He's a unbelievable guy to have as a assistant coach (like in Dallas) but he is too stubborn and plays inefficient guys.
                          He does not run up real offensive sets down the stretch and in many games, I see us bricking jump shot after jump shot in crunch time.

Personally, I think Stan Van Gundy or Jeff Van Gundy (we can throw the money at either this summer) or George Karl would be better options.

Casey's rotations are horrible. He is refusing to play Landry Fields at all, even when John Salmons is being shitted on. In the OKC game, I was begging Casey to put Fields on Durant because Fields at least plays legitimate defense.

Plus, we had gay shit like Amir Johnson shooting 3s for a stretch and him taking a 3 for the last shot?
                          JV not playing consistent minutes
                          Rudy Gay Isolations
                          Playing Alan Anderson heavy minutes and not the young guys

Comment

Dwayne's an alright guy.

Comment

I love the numbers, so keep in mind how the Raps plays in crunch-time. (Both in the last 5 minutes of a game, and the last 2 minutes of a game when truly trying to evaluate whether DC is elite or just good)

- The Dinos are 11th best when there's a 5pt difference with 5 minutes to go.
                              - However, they're 23rd overall when there's a 3pt difference with 2 minutes to go (29th in turnovers in the same time frame)
                              http://stats.nba.com/leagueTeamClutc...&sortOrder=DES

(Obviously our success comes from avoiding the latter scenario of tight games with less than 2mins to go.)

Because of this, I tend to lean more towards DC being a good coach, but not that next level coach.
                              - Players may fail to run plays properly, but it's still your job to make the right substitutions for matchups that are most likely to get you a 'W', specifically in the 4th quarter.

Comment

Coach Casey is ok. He has improved over the seasons and it is shown by the team's record every year. This season has been up and down for him. During the terrible start with Gay, he had many questionable decisions (timeouts/no timeouts, rotations, disorganized possessions right after calling a timeout, iso-dependent offense, etc.), but once Gay was traded and the Raps got it rolling, I saw improvement as well in his in game decisions. He now calls timely timeouts, he has better after timeout plays, better rotations, better offense overall. He still has a lot to improve on tho to be considered one of the elite coaches. I think next season is the best measure if he's really a great coach, as for sure other teams in the atlantic will improve. And hopefully, this season won't be a fluke like the 2006 season.

He's also a very classy guy imo, not resorting to embarrassing players by name in the media *cough Carlyle... He seems like a great motivator too as seen in the open court episodes. I think he is a much much better coach than the overrated Sam Mitchell, and has a chance of surpassing his record for the franchise's most coaching victories.

How does he compare tho to Lenny Wilkins and Butch Carter (the other coaches who guided the Raps to the playoffs during the VC era)? I often read/hear that Butch Carter was the greatest Raptor coach ever.

Comment

Working...
                                X