Duane Casey's coaching ability..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thead wrote: View Post
    FOR instance, last night against Boston, Salmons fouled the guy with 3 seconds to go before he got into the shooting motion, with a foul to give. This forced Boston into a terrible shot on their next play.
    And we all know how many times ross has fouled the shooter in crunch time moments. These little facets of the game go unnoticed by most, but not by the coaching staff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
      But we had essentially the same roster last year, when the defence was awful, compared to the year before, when it was good. If Casey is the reason for some kind of sweeping defensive culture change, how could have there been such a disparity between years 1 and 2? Given everything we think we know, shouldn't the defence only have got better?

Chewy I think you answered this question about defence already:
      Team is completely different. Majority of minutes going to Jose+Bargs really kills a defense. Val improved. Ross actually gets PT now. Gay is gone. Our bench is much, much better. We have someone playing SF.

thead wrote: View Post
      FOR instance, last night against Boston, Salmons fouled the guy with 3 seconds to go before he got into the shooting motion, with a foul to give. This forced Boston into a terrible shot on their next play.
      Yes...well never giving the young guys the chance to even make that play definitely means that they can't do it themselves....

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
        Yes...well never giving the young guys the chance to even make that play definitely means that they can't do it themselves....
        You don't GIVE young players the chance, you make them EARN it. That's what building a culture is all about. We are not tanking, so if they fuck up, yank them and let them think about it. This where Boston is actually doing it right. Sullinger and Olynyk both come off the bench. They are learning how to be competitive while still developing. Right or wrong Casey is a firm believer in making young guys earn the trust.
        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
          Our goal is not to win but to develop our players! That's what Masai Ujiri said himself!

If we win while developing that's just the icing on the cake.

But Casey is winning at at the cost of developing JV and Ross

Were not a contender in the slightest! So why play the vets all the younger players minutes?

The only way we are ever going to be considered a contender is if JV and Ross became good players and What DC is doing is making them sit on the bench in favor of getting maybe 5 extra wins in the season.

The only reason Casey is trying to win is because he's in his last year of his contract He is just winning as many games possible at the cost of not developing anyone.
          Don't worry this is not lost on UM. I predict DC will only be back next year if UM cannot get a big name to come here.

Comment

• JV and Ross are developing just fine
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

You don't GIVE young players the chance, you make them EARN it. That's what building a culture is all about. We are not tanking, so if they fuck up, yank them and let them think about it. This where Boston is actually doing it right. Sullinger and Olynyk both come off the bench. They are learning how to be competitive while still developing. Right or wrong Casey is a firm believer in making young guys earn the trust.
              Although Sullinger was also the one finishing the game and taking the last shot....So he is being given the chance to make mistakes. I think the way you're arguing is almost working against yourself. Guys earn things by being given a chance and making the most of it. You can't make the most out of nothing. You can't "earn it" in practice. You have to be willing to sacrifice something for the sake of some very valuable teaching moments.

And earning it has to apply to all players. Some of our vets have made their fair share of mistakes, but get continued opportunities down the stretch, whereas a young player can have a great game and not be rewarded. So what does he have to do to earn a late-game opportunity? If he can't be rewarded for his strong play earlier, and is never given late-game chances whether he's struggling or not, how does he earn anything? And yet a vet can make a costly mistake and see no real consequences.

Comment

• Another thing id like to add too. We're not at the practise. For all we know Chick Hayes is kicking JV ass on paratise. Same thing GV vs Ross. So what is Casey suppose to say to them. "Sorry guys you two are out playing these kids everyday at practise but, I can't play y'all cause their under 23." Than start preaching about winning basketball?

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                  Another thing id like to add too. We're not at the practise. For all we know Chick Hayes is kicking JV ass on paratise. Same thing GV vs Ross. So what is Casey suppose to say to them. "Sorry guys you two are out playing these kids everyday at practise but, I can't play y'all cause their under 23." Than start preaching about winning basketball?

Im pretty sure Vasquez would not be able to score on Ross or guard Ross in practice
                  "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• Sullinger earned it by tearing it up against us.

Comment

Sullinger earned it by tearing it up against us.
                      Well he was not tearing it up last night. So how did he earn it? He didn't. Based on previous performance? That shouldn't impact an in-game decision to play him when he's struggling.

JV or Ross can tear it up and still get benched down the stretch.

Comment

• fucking hell people. When it comes time for an extension tell me then Ross and JV weren't developed properly, until then, unless you have special access to practices, know the exact schemes, and thereby know when they are fucking it up etc, relax. Casey doesn't trust rookies...fantastic, they will have plenty of time to properly learn the game and develop their bodies/fundamentals. JV still doesn't properly block out all the time. He gets a lot of his rebounds by expending far more energy than intellect. Ross takes whole quarters off. So relax people, they are going to be just fine. Next season their workload will increase a bit more, and you will see strong fundamental players instead of the entire roster of los angeles rookies fucked up and signed to 1 year deals lakers

Comment

• Should also point out that under Casey, DeRozan matured and developed into an all star, Amir can shoot, Ed Davis was coming along quite nicely until banished to Memphis. JV has learned and shown flashes of an array of post moves, hooks, drop steps, mini fade and a baseline jumper. Ross has doubled his efforts on the defensive end, and no longer looks lost. I have questions about Casey as well, clock management, substitution patterns, but when it comes to development, and defensive principles, those are his strong suits, not his weak ones

Comment

• so shit on Casey all you want but do it for the things he actually fucks up, not because Ross and JV are at times exciting and fun to watch and you don't understand why they don't play more

Comment

so shit on Casey all you want but do it for the things he actually fucks up, not because Ross and JV are at times exciting and fun to watch and you don't understand why they don't play more
                              Also the only reason Casey is playing Ross is because Ujiri traded away the Black Hole
                              If Rudy was still here Ross would get his 10min of playing time
                              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

So you are saying that Ross didn't earn the opportunity to play late last night? Or JV?

thead wrote: View Post
                                Should also point out that under Casey, DeRozan matured and developed into an all star, Amir can shoot, Ed Davis was coming along quite nicely until banished to Memphis. JV has learned and shown flashes of an array of post moves, hooks, drop steps, mini fade and a baseline jumper. Ross has doubled his efforts on the defensive end, and no longer looks lost. I have questions about Casey as well, clock management, substitution patterns, but when it comes to development, and defensive principles, those are his strong suits, not his weak ones
                                Bill Bayno is mostly in charge of the player development within our team. So I would credit him before Casey. Also Ross showed this stuff last year, although very sporadically, but could never get off the bench due to what Mack said below

MACK11 wrote: View Post
                                Also the only reason Casey is playing Ross is because Ujiri traded away the Black Hole
                                If Rudy was still here Ross would get his 10min of playing time

Comment

Working...
                                X