2nd Unit upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puffer wrote: View Post
    More Fields immediately upgrades the bench, especially if we are talking about next year, when he will have another full off-season to work on repairing his shot.

I have finally gotten past my distaste for Carter and can see that he would be a big help if he is available for a reasonable salary. He may be willing to come for the victory lap blah blah blah, but would obviously add scoring punch and half decent defence.

With GV, Patterson, Fields and Carter you want a defencive center, because you have scoring. So any rim protector who is available meets the bill.

i agree with all this.

to add - no kaman please. i don't want him mentoring JV. I prefer a guy like Chuck Hayes, who had to work his ass off and learn all the nuances of the game to overcome his physical limitations. As opposed to Kaman who hasn't ever lived up to his potential because of what seems like an unwillingness to really give his all.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
      i agree with all this.

to add - no kaman please. i don't want him mentoring JV. I prefer a guy like Chuck Hayes, who had to work his ass off and learn all the nuances of the game to overcome his physical limitations. As opposed to Kaman who hasn't ever lived up to his potential because of what seems like an unwillingness to really give his all.
      Yeah. Kaman is not someone I want on this team at all. Him mentoring JV? More likely JV would have to mentor him.

Comment

Vince would be a solid veteran upgrade over Salmons. If we resign Lowry, we should serious look for a young point guard we can groom into a starter as Lowry exits his prime. GV is okay, but he is what he is, he can't defend at this level and will always be a liability.

Comment

Randy Foye and Nik Stauskas
          #BringBackUzoh

Comment

Unfortunately, the Raptors probably won't have a lot of flexibility this summer, which limits our options for upgrading the bench.

I could definitely see VCs return, and agree that he'd provide the veteran leadership and defense you look for off the bench while still contributing in other ways.

Ultimately, it'll be masai's draft day decisions that'll determine whether or not our bench meets or exceeds the level of production wr came to expect earlier in this season. The fact that there aren't any egregious deficiencies in our starting 5 probably plays in our favor, as Masai can thus focus on drafting the best player available who exhibits the kinds of qualities that seem to be associated with late draft gems like the Manimal, Chandler Parsons, Draymond Green, Jae Crowder, Sacre orformer Raptor and bearded wonder Quincy Acy.

These are generally low profile players with high basketball IQs, relentless motors, offensive and defensive fundamentals but generally lack explosive athleticism or offensive flare, or don't play a central role or for a major college program or in a big time conference. Given the chances of finding elite talent late in the first or in the second round, it definitely seems like you're better off looking for players who have lower ceilings and will probably never make an allstar team or win the 6th man award, but still have the kinds of skills that translate into a quality rotation player in the NBA.

Personally, I'd like to see the Raptors target:
            First Round
            KJ MacDaniels or Hollis-Jefferson at sf, then Montrezl Harrell or Adriane Payne at pf
            Second Round Sac Pick
            Deonte Burton or Shabazz Napier at pg, Bogdan Bogdanovich at sg/sf, or Chris Walker at pf
            Second Round OKC Pick
            Dwight Powell (Cdn) at pf or AJ Hammonds at C
            Being a Toronto Raptors fan is like being in an abusive relationship... Every time you've reached your breaking point after years of disappointment and neglect, they do just enough to give you hope for the future... Only to let you down again.

Here's hoping 2014-2015 breaks the cycle!!! #WeTheNorth

Comment

Abused Raptors Fan wrote: View Post
              Unfortunately, the Raptors probably won't have a lot of flexibility this summer, which limits our options for upgrading the bench.

I could definitely see VCs return, and agree that he'd provide the veteran leadership and defense you look for off the bench while still contributing in other ways.

Ultimately, it'll be masai's draft day decisions that'll determine whether or not our bench meets or exceeds the level of production wr came to expect earlier in this season. The fact that there aren't any egregious deficiencies in our starting 5 probably plays in our favor, as Masai can thus focus on drafting the best player available who exhibits the kinds of qualities that seem to be associated with late draft gems like the Manimal, Chandler Parsons, Draymond Green, Jae Crowder, Sacre orformer Raptor and bearded wonder Quincy Acy.

These are generally low profile players with high basketball IQs, relentless motors, offensive and defensive fundamentals but generally lack explosive athleticism or offensive flare, or don't play a central role or for a major college program or in a big time conference. Given the chances of finding elite talent late in the first or in the second round, it definitely seems like you're better off looking for players who have lower ceilings and will probably never make an allstar team or win the 6th man award, but still have the kinds of skills that translate into a quality rotation player in the NBA.

Personally, I'd like to see the Raptors target:
              First Round
              KJ MacDaniels or Hollis-Jefferson at sf, then Montrezl Harrell or Adriane Payne at pf
              Second Round Sac Pick
              Deonte Burton or Shabazz Napier at pg, Bogdan Bogdanovich at sg/sf, or Chris Walker at pf
              Second Round OKC Pick
              Dwight Powell (Cdn) at pf or AJ Hammonds at C
              I somewhat agree with you, to always take the best player available. And I'm soooo down to get Chris walker, dudes a athletic beast. Could actually make an all star team or win the dunk contest at the least. He just doesn't play because of his suspension. Low risk risk high reward player though especially in the second round
              I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Another option for a 3D vet at backup sf: how about Francisco Garcia?

Comment

The Chef wrote: View Post
                  Another option for a 3D vet at backup sf: how about Francisco Garcia?
                  I have continually said for the last 3 months, Raptors should be drafting Nick Staukas from Mississauga if we keep the pick at 20th or less.. he may not be a starter in this league but a more of JJ Reddick type of scorer off the bench.. I am pretty sure weWe have Fields on the books for one more year use him and Nick as your 2/3 off the bench.. Yes I have all in for vet big man who can teach Val, 2Pat and Amir.. if we can somehow package either Hansborough/Novak or our late 2nd round pick and Salmons $1 million buyout into a decent vet big + good SF who can teach then I am all in..

Comment

Idk, I don't see stauskas as being useful in the NBA. He's just one of those guys that just shoots. Kyle Korver took a while to finally find that niche and be comfortable in it, and he was drafted in the second round (pick 51) and has played for 11 years! I'd rather have Lavine than stauskas as Lavine is at least athletic and can play the one.
                    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
                      Idk, I don't see stauskas as being useful in the NBA. He's just one of those guys that just shoots. Kyle Korver took a while to finally find that niche and be comfortable in it, and he was drafted in the second round (pick 51) and has played for 11 years! I'd rather have Lavine than stauskas as Lavine is at least athletic and can play the one.
                      Have you even watched Satuskas play, I mean realy watch him. He is a good ball handler, better than DeMar or Ross, he is an underrated passer, and is not a bad athlete. Iam not saying he will be better or worse than anyone, but he is not Kyle Korver, different player all together.
                      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

feet85 wrote: View Post
                        Randy Foye and Nik Stauskas
                        Nik Stauskas will probably be taken at 12-16. But overall looking at some of his highlights , he looks pretty good. Randy Foye , I just don't want in the team because currently we have too many wing players . What we do need is a back up center like Okafor
                        Last edited by chch166; Mon Mar 31, 2014, 05:12 PM.
                        Nevermind what haters say,
                        ignore them ’til they fade away. - T.I

Comment

Our bench unit did pretty well in the second quarter last night.

Hmmm, the new players were Landry Fields and Nando de Colo. Maybe that's all the upgrade our bench unit needed ... was to play the guys who are sitting on the bench?

(Now I'm wondering what would happen if we threw Julyan Stone out there as well.)

Comment

chch166 wrote: View Post
                            I don't really want Nik Stauskas in the team. He's just a pure shooter, kinda of like Ross. We don't need wings anymore but what we do need is a true back up center like Okafor.
                            Which Okafor do you expect the Raps to draft this year, Emeka or Jahill? I'm no draft expert, but I guarantee it won't be either.
                            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Backup center (Emeka Okafor, Chris Kaman, Jordan Hill or a draft pick, etc.)

Backup wing (VC, Aminu or a draft pick, etc.)

3rd PG (De Colo or a draft pick, etc.)

I would not do anything else to improve this team this summer.

Valanciunas/Okafor/Hayes
                              Johnson/Patterson/Hansbrough
                              Ross/Aminu/Novak
                              DeRozan/Carter/Fields
                              Lowry/Vasquez/De Colo

Would you rather have this roster or having a rookie on the team?

Also, who would you switch for a rookie?

Another also: is this team possible?

Comment

Jordan Hill would be a great fit for Raps instead of Kaman, just because of his great defense.
                                Nevermind what haters say,
                                ignore them ’til they fade away. - T.I

Comment

Working...
                                X