Raptors pre-playoff musings about Rounds 1 & 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stooley wrote: View Post
    Maybe the nets are playing mind games with us and actually intend to win, get the fifth seed and secure a second round match up with the Pacers.

Maybe they're "leaking" all this info to trick us into falling into the fourth seed.

I'll take however the chips fall.
    I'd still prefer to look ahead to the 2nd round, figuring that the Raptors are capable of beating any of their potential 1st round opponents, as long as they play their game with intensity for 48 minutes.

Dropping to 4th place:
    - still get home court advantage in round #1
    - would likely play Indy instead of Miami in round #2
    - move up one spot in draft, from #20 to #19 (doesn't sound huge, but every little bit helps, be it for drafting or trading)

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      I'd still prefer to look ahead to the 2nd round, figuring that the Raptors are capable of beating any of their potential 1st round opponents, as long as they play their game with intensity for 48 minutes.

Dropping to 4th place:
      - move up one spot in draft, from #20 to #19 (doesn't sound huge, but every little bit helps, be it for drafting or trading)
      Does a coach/franchise indicate a lack of belief in his players by playing the match ups too much? Can this be distracting to players and affect their ability to perform at the highest level?

I think it can and does, especially when you're dealing with a bunch of really young players.

I still think that all the emphasis in the locker room should be on playing well, every game.

You gotta beat the best to be the best, so why be scared of the matchups?

We're still developing, so it's not like we're the Nets, making one last desperate grab at success.

Plus, getting whooped by LBJ in the playoffs might just drive some guys to work harder over the summer.
      "Bruno?
      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

Dropping to 4th place:
        Like I said earlier it's a tough one for me , we can definitely take out Washington but New Jersey will go to the final game and could go either way.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Comment

• Raps76 wrote: View Post
          Like I said earlier it's a tough one for me , we can definitely take out Washington but New Jersey will go to the final game and could go either way.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
          I'd also weigh the potential experience of winning a playoff series, versus losing in the first round.

I think you want to guarantee that you get that first round victory. Whatever happens after is just gravy. This is the first step up the mountain, lets pace ourselves.
          "Bruno?
          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
            Does a coach/franchise indicate a lack of belief in his players by playing the match ups too much? Can this be distracting to players and affect their ability to perform at the highest level?

I think it can and does, especially when you're dealing with a bunch of really young players.

I still think that all the emphasis in the locker room should be on playing well, every game.

You gotta beat the best to be the best, so why be scared of the matchups?

We're still developing, so it's not like we're the Nets, making one last desperate grab at success.

Plus, getting whooped by LBJ in the playoffs might just drive some guys to work harder over the summer.
            I don't see anything wrong with employing a little strategy. Thinking ahead to the second round would show confidence in the players, and I'm sure they're smart enough to understand the success they've had this season against Indy (compared to the long losing streak against Miami).

Plus, it could easily be camouflaged as giving the key guys some much deserved rest, especially when guys like Johnson, Lowry and Patterson have been dealing with injuries.

The team still needs to go through Miami to get to the NBA Finals, regardless. I just don't have an issue with a #3/4 seed looking ahead to the 2nd round, especially with them expected to be favourites in round 1.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
              Guess you didn't see the news but Brooklyn is apparently resting their 6 top players in an effort to lose their final 2 games to drop to the 6 seed and play us in the 1st round.
              The Nets know how to tank. They allowed Uzoh to get a triple double on them when the Raptors were hoping to lose. Wouldn't be surprised at all if they lose their next 2.

They might be looking at the brackets. Miami is guaranteed 2nd seed. Brooklyn are 4-0 against them this season. I'd assume that as a team they are looking passed the first round and are hoping they get Miami in the 2nd round. Whether that first round matchup is against Toronto or Chicago I don't think they care.

Comment

• Brooklyn mini tank wanting to finish 6th and play Toronto?

There has been speculation today that Brooklyn may rest starters next two games aiming to finish 6th to play Toronto. Miami did the same last night in an effort to play Charlotte in first round. Your thoughts?

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                  There has been speculation today that Brooklyn may rest starters next two games aiming to finish 6th to play Toronto. Miami did the same last night in an effort to play Charlotte in first round. Your thoughts?
                  I don't know if Miami's resting players had anything to do with wanting to play Charlotte. I don't see how a hot Charlotte team is easier than still vying for that 1st spot to get a beat up Atlanta team that's been struggling a bit for the last month or two.

But in regards to Brooklyn, I also don't know how much I buy it as a mini-tank. They play either us or Chicago, and have less power over what happens than either team. If we rest our guys against the Knicks and drop, and Chicago plays to win and beats Charlotte, they still end up matched up against Chicago.

My 2 theories for why they're resting guys:
                  -The Nets combined age is oh, about 3,454,237,293,093 years old, and they need rest before their bones spontaneously turn to dust and they all collapse and die.
                  -Jason Kidd is an idiot who doesn't realize that tanking a game or two could have literally no impact in terms of them trying to force a favourable matchup.

Comment

• Off topic but I think we have a new primo pasta and sauce

Everybody go on pizza pizza website...it looks so awkward
                    I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                      I think it's smart of Brooklyn to try this. If they get to the 6th seed.. and beat the 3rd seed they'll be facing Miami in the 2nd round. Each of the 4 games against Miami have been close but they are 4-0 against them.

They would also be facing Toronto (as of now) who are basically a playoff virgin.

Washington is 1.5 games back. They have to win their last game, and Brooklyn has to lose both of theirs (Washington has won their series 3-0 and so has the tie breaker). Washington is playing Boston who should be an easy win and need to win that game to maintain the 5th seed as a Charlotte win / Washington loss will take them to the 6th seed (Charlotte owns that tie breaker).

Personally I say play to win and let the pieces fall where they fall. Toronto can still beat Brooklyn in a best of 7 with home court advantage. It would suck to play Miami in the 2nd round, but the Raptors aren't winning the title anyways so who cares who they play and when? If the Raptors lose in the first round and are semi embarrassed well it could mean more changes are needed and I personally think more changes are required to get this team to champion contention anyway.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                        I think it's smart of Brooklyn to try this. If they get to the 6th seed.. and beat the 3rd seed they'll be facing Miami in the 2nd round. Each of the 4 games against Miami have been close but they are 4-0 against them.

They would also be facing Toronto (as of now) who are basically a playoff virgin.

Washington is 1.5 games back. They have to win their last game, and Brooklyn has to lose both of theirs (Washington has won their series 3-0 and so has the tie breaker). Washington is playing Boston who should be an easy win and need to win that game to maintain the 5th seed as a Charlotte win / Washington loss will take them to the 6th seed (Charlotte owns that tie breaker).

Personally I say play to win and let the pieces fall where they fall. Toronto can still beat Brooklyn in a best of 7 with home court advantage. It would suck to play Miami in the 2nd round, but the Raptors aren't winning the title anyways so who cares who they play and when? If the Raptors lose in the first round and are semi embarrassed well it could mean more changes are needed and I personally think more changes are required to get this team to champion contention anyway.
                        Wouldn't Washington also tank the last game, I think they would rather play Toronto over chi town also

Comment

• Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                          Wouldn't Washington also tank the last game, I think they would rather play Toronto over chi town also
                          They can't afford to. They could fall to 7th and play Miami.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Apr 15, 2014, 07:42 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Sorry got the seeding wrong in my post.. A Washington loss / Charlotte win would mean the Bobcats get the 6th seed and the Wizards the 7th (and a matchup against Miami in the first round).

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                              Sorry got the seeding wrong in my post.. A Washington loss / Charlotte win would mean the Bobcats get the 6th seed and the Wizards the 7th (and a matchup against Miami in the first round).
                              I don't know, I think we should play all the starters limited minutes against the Knicks and let the pieces fall where they may. It's up to the basketball gods now

Comment

I don't know, I think we should play all the starters limited minutes against the Knicks and let the pieces fall where they may. It's up to the basketball gods now
                                Yup, I agree with this. Don't want to tire them out, but want them to get some game action even if it's just for 20-25 minutes. I'd lean toward 25+ minutes but try to make sure nobody hits 30.

*Except for Amir. I'd sit him firmly at 20ish at most. He seems to be the guy hurting the most and we need him as healthy as possible for the playoffs.
                                Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Apr 15, 2014, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X