ESPN head office rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN head office rankings

The Raptors aren't out yet, but we know they aren't in the bottom five!

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...ffice-rankings

Where do people expect us to fall? I'm thinking around 10 - right around where our power rankings always seem to fall these days.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

TL & MU are still new and shiny, with high hopes for the future, first playoffs in years, and an upcoming all-star game... definitely top-10!

Comment

Got to be top 5, no? It's a combination of ownership, GM and coach. Most teams are strong in one or two areas but not all three. For example OKC will be hurt by their cheap ownership, Jazz have good ownership and GM but their coach sucks, and so on.

The Raptors' ownership is great. They are willing to spend (100 mil on some soccer players?) but they also let the GM do his job and don't meddle like James Dolan.

The GM is one the very best.

The coach might be the weakest spot but.. Casey is considered a strong 2014 coach of the year candidate by a lot of media members, from what I see.

So basically I'd be surprised if they aren't top 5.

Comment

I'm guessing middle of the pack. The biggest plus we have is Leiweke. The new MLSE ownership group is much better than the OTPP ownership. MU has shown the ability to break down, but can he build a consistent winner? I'm guessing Casey is viewed less harshly by outsiders who aren't judging him from a micromanagement perspective.

I do know the old MLSE/BC combo should have been bottom 5.
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

We got 13th..

Comment

13th seems a little disappointing!

I'd like to see more about their ranking, and where we fall in each category.

The low ranking could be a result of our historical ineptitude though
            "Bruno?
            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

I wonder if they'll give explanations or if it's another one of those "we'll post random tweets" things.

Comment

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...-front-offices

Comment

They're coming out with the individual rankings for each of the 3 categories soon. Once again I'd say we're pretty middle pack for each, except in front office where we'll rank really well.

Comment

I wouldn't get too bent out of shape. Most of these people might have seen one game in last 3 years and only know toronto as the team not in the US.

To say recent history (3 years?) and success/failure does not influence ratings is naive. For example, do you think they are rating Bell/Rogers for last year and a half or are they rating OTPP as well?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      I wouldn't get too bent out of shape. Most of these people might have seen one game in last 3 years and only know toronto as the team not in the US.

To say recent history (3 years?) and success/failure does not influence ratings is naive. For example, do you think they are rating Bell/Rogers for last year and a half or are they rating OTPP as well?
                      You're 1 game in 3 years is pure hyperbole. The biggest reason we're puzzled is because we're even less of an expert than the panel to rate other teams FO's. The 11-14 rated teams have almost identical scores. Why should we be higher and which teams in the Top 10 should be behind us?
                      Last edited by 3inthekeon; Tue Apr 1, 2014, 03:04 PM. Reason: spelling
                      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

I believe this is the reason for a lower than expected ranking...

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                          The 11-14 rated teams have almost identical scores. Why should we be higher and which teams in the Top 10 should be behind us?
                          Looking at the Organizations rated higher, it's hard to argue.

Comment

Owners ranking:
                            http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...ankings-owners

The Raptors ownership more than a point below Clay Bennett, the owner who was too cheap to keep James Harden despite the team showing significant profits.

I guess it could've been expected -- who really follows MLSE realities and ownership structure, probably not most of these journalists. Yet it's very questionable, considering high ambitions since the sale, readiness to spend on MLSE teams and Leiweke being basically ownership impersonated right now.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                              Owners ranking:
                              http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...ankings-owners

The Raptors ownership more than a point below Clay Bennett, the owner who was too cheap to keep James Harden despite the team showing significant profits.

I guess it could've been expected -- who really follows MLSE realities and ownership structure, probably not most of these journalists. Yet it's very questionable, considering high ambitions since the sale, readiness to spend on MLSE teams and Leiweke being basically ownership impersonated right now.
                              I expected better from ESPN, but they screwed the pooch on this one. They still have Richard Peddie in charge of MLSE!!! He retired over 2 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X