Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 66 of 82: Toronto Raptors @ New Orleans Pelicans, Friday March 8th, 8 PM Eastern on Sportsnet ONE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MixxAOR
    replied
    No Jrue tomorrow

Leave a comment:

• Zak24gege
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    Lewenberg (on twitter):

Nurse said that the C position remains fluid between Ibaka and Gasol but he'd like to settle on a starter at some point before the playoffs. "It may get solidified shortly."

A bit surprised because I still think it should come down to match ups and shouldn't be written in stone. I'd hate to see Serge play against Drummond or Vucevic all night for example. Or to have Gasol play against Horford instead of Baynes.

I suspect when the playoff match-ups solidify i.e. Raptors 1st round opponent, Nurse will settle on the line-up with the C based on opponents C.

Leave a comment:

• Jclaw
    replied
    http://<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Raptors in NOLA tomorrow. <a href="https://t.co/iJMzbTe0td">https://t.co/iJMzbTe0td</a></p>&mdash; Josh Lewenberg (@JLew1050) <a href="https://twitter.com/JLew1050/status/1103778238759763968?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 7, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

in other words for the post raptors republic world...Jrue out for Friday

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Lewenberg (on twitter):

Nurse said that the C position remains fluid between Ibaka and Gasol but he'd like to settle on a starter at some point before the playoffs. "It may get solidified shortly."

A bit surprised because I still think it should come down to match ups and shouldn't be written in stone. I'd hate to see Serge play against Drummond or Vucevic all night for example. Or to have Gasol play against Horford instead of Baynes.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    Mitchell Duong wrote: View Post

The main reason Toronto has gotten away with it is Kawhi missed most of last season. The Raptors can say this rest is all about his recovery from last season. When he signs a new deal. He will likely play more, because the league does hate "load management" and doesn't want a trend where stars miss 15 games a season and talk about how little the season matters.
    Can't imagine why the league wouldn't want that....

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    I hope we get to see Kawhi defend the best player on the other side when the playoffs start. I want to see that version of Kawhi sometime as a Raptor. Feels like we've only gotten glimpses this year.. and it's usually in crunch time. Like that steal against DeMar.

Leave a comment:

• Demographic Shift
    replied
    Kinda hoping that Nick finds a way to get some rest for Serge during the next couple of weeks.
    Pre Gasol when JV went down in December ...Serge really carried the mail for the Raps for a couple of months.

He played really really well....but he played a lot for a big. Getting him some downtime might kickstart his game back to that stretch where he was lighting it up on both ends of the floor.

They have done well with Danny Green and Leonard. Green had that serious groin injury last year and Nurse/McKecknie didn’t wear him out this year by using minutes management. He looks spry for a guy closing in on mid 30s. Kyle had a stretch where by default he got downtime as he rested up a combination of thigh, back, leg or whatever he had ....for a what I think was a 20 day stretch. Kyle just likes to play..and it’s unlikely he sits too much down the stretch.

The kids ..Siakam, OG, Norm are tireless. Freddy will need to play to get into game shape when he gets cleared.

All in all... the team should be ready to go come April.

Leave a comment:

• Mitchell Duong
    replied
    LJ2 wrote: View Post
    Well for his part, Kawhi sure talks like he has another gear saved for the playoffs.

I'm still waiting to see what Nurse plans to do with Gasol. Start him or don't but give him his defined role and let him build chemistry. It's too late in the season for this juggling act. If you want this team to be playing at it's peak going into the playoffs then you need to start nailing down the playoff roster.
    If I were Nurse, (I know I'm not) I might be tempted to do it the same way. Serge doesn't deserve to just lose his spot as the starter, but I don't really trust Serge either, and I think its important that both big men get a chance to play with everyone.

I think Serge is going to lose his starters role in the playoffs, and we want to make sure Gasol has experience playing with the starters. These are the ego management challenges head coaches have.

I think I understand what the Raptors are doing, but its tough as a fan, as so many games are so aggravating to watch. I realize that's on me, so I'm doing load management too. I'll save all the anxiety and stress of watching the teams when its playoffs time.

Leave a comment:

• RandomGuy
    replied
    The Great One wrote: View Post

Lol he was GARBAGE when he played here. That's why he was the 11th man.

He was supposed to be Lowry's backup last year but he was so bad that an undrafted PG completely passed him in the depth chart.

It's EASY to talk shit and play well when you're playing for a bad team that is not going anywhere like Memphis. No pressure. We know how Delon plays under pressure. Good riddance.
    Wow you're so easy to get offended, don't take it so personally, he's right, he's not 11th man so is JV not a backup big. Why get salty, be more rational.

Leave a comment:

• LJ2
    replied
    Well for his part, Kawhi sure talks like he has another gear saved for the playoffs.

I'm still waiting to see what Nurse plans to do with Gasol. Start him or don't but give him his defined role and let him build chemistry. It's too late in the season for this juggling act. If you want this team to be playing at it's peak going into the playoffs then you need to start nailing down the playoff roster.

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    Mitchell Duong wrote: View Post

The main reason Toronto has gotten away with it is Kawhi missed most of last season. The Raptors can say this rest is all about his recovery from last season. When he signs a new deal. He will likely play more, because the league does hate "load management" and doesn't want a trend where stars miss 15 games a season and talk about how little the season matters.
    I don't love it as a fan either, understand a bit of it but it seems like too much sitting/resting/undervaluing of the regular 82. I want to watch 6-7 months of basketball, not 5 months of practice and 1-2 months of real basketball.

Only positive I can take out of it is that hopefully this is finally a Raptors team that has a playoff switch. They've settled into the 2nd seed, they're making sure Kawhi is healthy, they're giving lots of different guys run. Please let all this be for the purpose of cranking it up and performing at the next level as soon as we hit round 1 game 1.

Leave a comment:

• Mitchell Duong
    replied
    Joey wrote: View Post

Doesn't the NBA have a rule against resting players for Nationally Televised games? So I assume part of the reason we are allowed to do this, is because we have so few Nationally Broadcast games? Which again, I assume is maybe unique to Toronto?

Leave a comment:

• Zak24gege
    replied
    I should have added 3P shot too.

Leave a comment:

• Zak24gege
    replied
    bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

ya probably not intentional tanking his value but from delon and his agent prepective he might not have gotten a fair shot at showcasing him self. I mean i think delon deserved some more burn earlier in the year. their were game he was doing great and out playing FVV but nurse would give freddy more mins. I mean he benched delon for a game and gave miles and Mccaw who was relatively new to the team his minutes. This year was very important to a dude who is coming off his rookie deal and is actually pretty old. If i was in delon spot before the deadline i think i would have quietly asked out and it seem to be what happened.
    What hurt Delon was lack of a jump shot. If he had developed a simple pull-up jump shot, he would've played ahead of FVV as he has a good handle, length and quickness.

Leave a comment:

• bertarapsfan
    replied
    G__Deane wrote: View Post

Honestly, there's not a chance in hell that a coach (especially a rookie coach on the hot seat) would hold back a talented player from minutes just to hold back his value in (R)FA. Nurse is in win now mode and Masai sure is. Wright showed flashes but really isn't that good. Oddly enough with FVV injured, he would have got his chance to further show his stuff in regular minutes here.
    ya probably not intentional tanking his value but from delon and his agent prepective he might not have gotten a fair shot at showcasing him self. I mean i think delon deserved some more burn earlier in the year. their were game he was doing great and out playing FVV but nurse would give freddy more mins. I mean he benched delon for a game and gave miles and Mccaw who was relatively new to the team his minutes. This year was very important to a dude who is coming off his rookie deal and is actually pretty old. If i was in delon spot before the deadline i think i would have quietly asked out and it seem to be what happened.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X