Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you be happy with the Toronto Heat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you be happy with the Toronto Heat?

It crossed my mind last night as I watched the game that I don't want our team to win the way the Heat did.

I don't want to win the Finals with Kevin Durant, Rajon Rondo and Demarcus Cousins.

I find a home-grown product much more enjoyable.

I want a core that I can identify with. A core that we've seen struggle and stumble before finally achieving success.

It isn't that I'm opposed to all free agent signings (obviously), but I don't want to enter 2016 with one player left on our roster and build a brand new team to see them win the league that year.

I don't think I'd be happy with the Toronto Heat. Would you?
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

The preference is to see us win with players we draft and see grow up, but yes, I would absolutely be thrilled to win with free agents as well.

Comment

Man are you Crazy?

I dont care if we have 10 superstars on this team!

We have got out of the 1st round once!!!!!!!

If there is any chance for us to attract star players and build a dynasty Id do that in a heartbeat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

My hope is for Toronto to build a solid, young core through the draft.

Use RFA and Bird Rights to take advantage of owners deep pockets to pay luxury tax to keep the team that has been built through extensions (i.e. no Harden/OKC situations).

Before all those extensions are given out though, I pray for one big, significant free agent signing. Whoever it is is fine by me but I'd lose my mind for Durant.

I see your point on the Toronto HEAT angle. But ultimately the HEAT have done a great job of building a cast of role players around those three stars. There are many ways to build a team and no matter which way you choose the pieces have to fit and the chemistry has to be there.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
          It crossed my mind last night as I watched the game that I don't want our team to win the way the Heat did.

I don't want to win the Finals with Kevin Durant, Rajon Rondo and Tyson Chandler.

I find a home-grown product much more enjoyable.

I want a core that I can identify with. A core that we've seen struggle and stumble before finally achieving success.

It isn't that I'm opposed to all free agent signings (obviously), but I don't want to enter 2016 with one player left on our roster and build a brand new team to see them win the league that year.

I don't think I'd be happy with the Toronto Heat. Would you?
          Well that's part of the reason I find cause to be at least a bit optimistic. There are definitely question marks going forward, but the team could keep a solid core together, and have flexibility to make possibly even major moves in 2015 or 2016.

I do think this team is still just a middling playoff team, but considering that's with no major contracts on the books (DeMar's contract is really not major), it isn't locked into that. A lot depends on what happens with Lowry and if he re-signs, at what cost, but it's not a make or break thing. They'd still have a couple of years to find a decent starting PG.

And in 2016 there could be an excellent free agent crop, even ignoring superstars. They don't need to become the "Toronto Heat" type thing you talk about, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't try to add high-level players. I'd love for them to position themselves to have more than enough capspace to make a max-level offer to someone like KD, which would then also give them the space for if that fails, to pursue "consolation" prizes like Horford and Batum as they could maybe get both for about the same price as they'd spend on KD. I feel like those are the types of guys (professional, efficient 2-way players) I'd want without have a top star on the team.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

Use RFA and Bird Rights to take advantage of owners deep pockets to pay luxury tax to keep the team that has been built through extensions (i.e. no Harden/OKC situations).

Before all those extensions are given out though, I pray for one big, significant free agent signing. Whoever it is is fine by me but I'd lose my mind for Durant.

I see your point on the Toronto HEAT angle. But ultimately the HEAT have done a great job of building a cast of role players around those three stars. There are many ways to build a team and no matter which way you choose the pieces have to fit and the chemistry has to be there.
            I'd also like some level of this as well. If the Raps can land another couple of keepers in the next couple of drafts, that'd be great. Add them to JV and Ross and you basically have half of a solid rotation to start off with.

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
              Man are you Crazy?

I dont care if we have 10 superstars on this team!

We have got out of the 1st round once!!!!!!!

If there is any chance for us to attract star players and build a dynasty Id do that in a heartbeat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Yeah, but is anyone proud to be a Heat fan? I don't really think I'd be.

I completely agree on one big free agent signing.

But I see the Heat as a team of mercenaries. They were built overnight. They got no soul. At least the Lakers had Kobe and Phil.

The role players are generally guys past their prime, who made their real mark elsewhere. They're taking less money to try and win one final ring.

I do appreciate what the Heat have done with Greg Oden and Michael Beasley. I appreciate Spoelstra making James and Wade work, but that's about it.
              "Bruno?
              Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

In theory I'd like to win the Spurs way, having the same core intact and building year and year... but at the same time new high draft picks and splashy free agents are very exciting and bring an element of mystery which I think all fans love.

At the end of the day though I just want the Raptors to win a championship. We've been through enough hard years, we deserve one.

Comment

Would I prefer a homegrown Raptors team bringing an NBA championship to Canadian soil? Of course.

Would I complain if it happened after signing Durant in 2016? Ummm... nope.

I completely understand with the premise of the OP though. If I were a Heat fan, I'd savor the earlier championships more than the recent ones, when homegrown players like Mourning and Wade were the catalysts. However, I wouldn't enjoy the recent ones any less.

Comment

Guys, we've won 1 lowsy playoff round in our existence, and we're sitting here complaining about how to win a championship? Sheeeeeeeeit.

It's like the homeless guy under the Gardiner fantasizing about sending back his Filet Mignon for being a bit too pink.

Just win dammit! Any freakin' way possible.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      Guys, we've won 1 lowsy playoff round in our existence, and we're sitting here complaining about how to win a championship? Sheeeeeeeeit.

It's like the homeless guy under the Gardiner fantasizing about sending back his Filet Mignon for being a bit too pink.

Just win dammit! Any freakin' way possible.
                      And Willy tickles the twine for 2!

Comment

The Heat do have a player that they drafted and developed (Wade). It would be more like the Houston Rockets model, neither star was developed in Houston.

Anyway, I don't think I would care. I guess in theory it all makes sense but in practice that bond can happen quickly. Lowry is my favorite Raptor in a long time and I don't care how long he's been a Raptor. And when it comes to some players that bond just never happens.

I only ask that they are a real team, not a bunch of drama queens. I don't want Jailblazers, I don't want a team that points fingers at each other in the media, and I don't want players with Eric Gordon's "look at me, I'm a star, I'm above the city and above the team" disease. As long as the team is humble and a real team, I don't care how they get here.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                          The Heat do have a player that they drafted and developed (Wade). It would be more like the Houston Rockets model, neither star was developed in Houston.

Anyway, I don't think I would care. I guess in theory it all makes sense but in practice that bond can happen quickly. Lowry is my favorite Raptor in a long time and I don't care how long he's been a Raptor. And when it comes to some players that bond just never happens.

I only ask that they are a real team, not a bunch of drama queens. I don't want Jailblazers, I don't want a team that points fingers at each other in the media, and I don't want players with Eric Gordon's "look at me, I'm a star, I'm above the city and above the team" disease. As long as the team is humble and a real team, I don't care how they get here.
                          Remember when people were saying gordan is better than derozan will ever be
                          I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                            Remember when people were saying gordan is better than derozan will ever be
                            Yeah, I remember that. I could always understand people not liking DeMar's game....I could never understand some of the batshit crazy comparisons they'd make to suggest some total assclowns to be better.

Comment

Getting out of the first round can help us attract RFA and FA. That is why it is so crucial to get a matchup with the Wizards in the first round.

Comment

Working...
                              X