Grantland's Kirk Goldsberry on Tyler Hansbrough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grantland's Kirk Goldsberry on Tyler Hansbrough

Just an article confirming what we all know: Tyler Hansbrough draws A LOT of fouls.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ty...lays-the-heel/

Plus some excellent examples of fouls he draws.

If they accounted for fouls drawn + fouls given I'm sure he'd be #1 in the NBA.

And yet he rots on the bench for Lame Casey. Chuck Hayes getting outworked and out-heighted by Birdman while Hansbrough just sat had me head shaking, to say the least.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Tyler is the Energizer Bunny.
      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Grantland's Kirk Goldsberry on Tyler Hansbrough

I love Grantland. They give by far the most coverage to Raps, and certainly more than they warrant based on roster talent and success, but hey, I'm not going to complain!

I was going to post some of the text, but the truth is, the article has a bunch of amazing Tyler GIFs, (including last year's take down of JV) so be sure to click.

"Tyler, the Enrager: The Raptors Forward Plays the Heel"
        Link
        "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I love what Hansbrough has brought to this team and would really like to see him get more minutes (over Chuck Hayes). While he may not have the same defensive prowess, like the article says, he does a lot of things that benefits the team as a whole well beyond the box scores.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Just saw that I was beaten to this article... Mods please merge
            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Its funny, if you look at the comments on the article everyone seems to love psycho. Didnt know there were any tbro fans that weren't raptors and pacers fans.

Comment

yup...Psycho T should not a bench warmer, he's a hustler, board banger, defensive pest that's offensively capable around the bucket...he should be getting ALL of chuck hayes minutes...Casey's unwarranted loyalty of Hayes & Salmons is ridiculous...

Comment

Anyone notice that lately when Hansborough does play, if he gets an offensive rebound he has kicked it out....he is best when he takes that strong back up and gets fouled or the bucket. Casey trying to nuder yet another good player....

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                    Anyone notice that lately when Hansborough does play, if he gets an offensive rebound he has kicked it out....he is best when he takes that strong back up and gets fouled or the bucket. Casey trying to nuder yet another good player....
                    why? how?

any negative is back to casey.

the casey hate (and i don't like that word but it's appopriate here) on this board is almost laughable at times.
                    "Bruno?
                    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                      why? how?

the casey hate (and i don't like that word but it's appopriate here) on this board is almost laughable at times.
                      I don't know about hate but this is my view on Casey:

1) he has a firm belief in how the game should be played - "right" being his way,
                      2) he doesn't adapt to his players strengths and skillsets, he expects players to adapt to his beliefs on the "right" way to play.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                        why? how?

It is true though. Psycho T is at his best when he snatches a board, bowls over 2 guys and puts it back in and/ or draws a foul. I've also noticed lately he's been kicking it back out once he gets a board. Whether it's coincidence or instruction I'm not sure.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

1) he has a firm belief in how the game should be played - "right" being his way,
                          2) he doesn't adapt to his players strengths and skillsets, he expects players to adapt to his beliefs on the "right" way to play.
                          I'm not sure that your second point is correct.

It mostly applies to Ross and JV, but I think that's part of the development process. They literally are still learning the right way to play.

I see Novak exclusively spot up on the 3 point line. I see Hansbrough playing within himself. I see DD doing what he loves (long twos?).

Amir and 2Pat aren't funnelled into the same style.
                          Vasquez and Lowry play very differently.
                          Salmons doesn't fill the same role as DD.

I see very little evidence of there being a strict D'Antoni style system in place.

Are you referring to him enforcing certain fundamentals like getting back on defense, passing with both hands, etc? If so, I think that's a very good quality for a coach to have, especially when he's grooming a bunch of guys who are new in the league.
                          Last edited by stooley; Wed Apr 2, 2014, 11:32 AM.
                          "Bruno?
                          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

I'm not sure I agree with #2. Offensively, the sets have been adjusted this year to get Derozan into his sweet spots more often (a return to some of the stuff Triano ran for him). There are plays for Ross to get the threes from his spot on the wing. They've gone screen and roll with Amir in key situations playing to his stength as the roll man and Vasquez and Lowry clearly have the green light to get their own shots. Defensively, they've been far less aggressive on screen and roll coverage to help out JV, in particular, and they've double-teamed bigger wings and guards when needed.

The bottom line is that Casey will have to answer for his personnel decisions to the GM and if Ujiri doesn't like they way he uses the players then Casey won't be around next year. Having said that, he doesn't have a lot of great options on the bench: Vasquez is inconsistent, Salmons is too old, Hayes is too limited, Novak is too one-dimensional, Hansbrough is too inconsistent, and Fields hasn't played all year, so it's difficult to incorporate a new guy at this point.

Comment

BigCamB wrote: View Post
                              It is true though. Psycho T is at his best when he snatches a board, bowls over 2 guys and puts it back in and/ or draws a foul. I've also noticed lately he's been kicking it back out once he gets a board. Whether it's coincidence or instruction I'm not sure.
                              Ya I don't know if there is a correlation...but for a player suddenly to lose his PT and shortly thereafter start playing a different way is a pretty compelling painting for a coaching philosophy to me.

slaw wrote: View Post
                              I'm not sure I agree with #2. Offensively, the sets have been adjusted this year to get Derozan into his sweet spots more often (a return to some of the stuff Triano ran for him). There are plays for Ross to get the threes from his spot on the wing. They've gone screen and roll with Amir in key situations playing to his stength as the roll man and Vasquez and Lowry clearly have the green light to get their own shots. Defensively, they've been far less aggressive on screen and roll coverage to help out JV, in particular, and they've double-teamed bigger wings and guards when needed.
                              These are all very controlled plays...and fits Casey (ie trying to control Lowry). The way TH is effective is out of control and just let him crash the boards, which is not to how Casey want the game played and could be an explanation why Tyler has seen a decline in minutes and he is trying to adapt his game to appease Casey so he can play.

Comment

Working...
                              X