No announcement yet.

Grantland's Kirk Goldsberry on Tyler Hansbrough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it's okay, I will repeat what I wrote on the recent "Quick Reaction" thread: since the trade, the Raptors are 8-7 when Hansbrough does not play, and 15-5 when he plays 11 to 20 minutes. The first number includes the fourteen games he missed due to injury. He is a rhythm player and needs more minutes to be effective.

Hansbrough looks frustrated right now and is missing shots or on occasion getting literally tangled with other players because he is pressing too hard. Why? Because he somehow has lost the confidence of the coach. He needs the support of the coaching staff and his teammates, and the team needs him, especially in the playoffs. He has more recent playoff experience than anyone else, after going to the conference finals last year.

As for being a "heel," he just plays hard, old-school basketball, and does not throw elbows or punches or try to trip up other players. NBA players are just not used that any more.

Comment

RE: adapting to Casey's "way to plaY" ....I remember reading a piece sometime ago (hence no link) about the problems between Lowry & Casey last year on the way to play. I understand that Casey wanted him to take the ball into the paint/to the rim more often. Lowry disagreed and felt he would be more effective playing from the perimeter and maintain his defensive responsibilities much better. Clearly it looks like Lowry won out. Dont know if MU played a part in the "reconciliation" since a bit has been made of the confab at the beginning of this season between KL, TL, DC & MU.

Re T Hans. I cant say enough about his work ethic and willingness to play hard. I also notice he rarely complains to the refs. apart from removing his mouthpiece and mumbling... like he wants to hear himself. re his popularity via the piece...there is a large NC community out there who remember his ACC scoring record etc.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
        RE: adapting to Casey's "way to plaY" ....I remember reading a piece sometime ago (hence no link) about the problems between Lowry & Casey last year on the way to play. I understand that Casey wanted him to take the ball into the paint/to the rim more often. Lowry disagreed and felt he would be more effective playing from the perimeter and maintain his defensive responsibilities much better. Clearly it looks like Lowry won out. Dont know if MU played a part in the "reconciliation" since a bit has been made of the confab at the beginning of this season between KL, TL, DC & MU.

Re T Hans. I cant say enough about his work ethic and willingness to play hard. I also notice he rarely complains to the refs. apart from removing his mouthpiece and mumbling... like he wants to hear himself. re his popularity via the piece...there is a large NC community out there who remember his ACC scoring record etc.
        Yeah I've noticed that too, far too rare with players these days. Hans just dusts himself off and gets ready for the next melee
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I don't think Nurse and Bayno (and Masai who put them in) get enough credit for the improvements on the season offensively.

Comment

Grantland does give a lot of Raps coverage...hopefully to make up for the first 5 months of the season, where they got basically zero love. Simmons still hasnt watched a Raps game, and they are so into the Wizards, they skim the Raps talk. The idea of Lowry being a malcontent was laid out, and became canon with them. Hopefully being on ABC for a playoff series will open up some eyes to them.

Grantland influence most US basketball writers. Zach Lowe loved the Wiz, hence, everyone loved the Wiz.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              I don't think Nurse and Bayno (and Masai who put them in) get enough credit for the improvements on the season offensively.
              We are still pretty bad offensively though.
              I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
                Yeah, there's only 20 teams with a worse offensive rating. That is pretty bad.
                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
                  I think they are bad in crunch time.

Overall they are not bad, at least not statistically.

Personally though I hate their style of play and reliance on the long jumpers.

Comment

Demar seems too tentative in crunch time to drive lately, hence settling for those long twos. He's getting the calls, so I'd like to see him take it to the basket.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      I think they are bad in crunch time.

Overall they are not bad, at least not statistically.

Personally though I hate their style of play and reliance on the long jumpers.
                      That's true. The crunch time has bit us in the butt so many times now that I think that's all I remember.
                      I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Bad crunch-time/when it counts, but, overall the Raps are a pretty decent Offensive team.

Hell, we could be the Pacers offensively right now, bad all around, lol.

That being said, I do like what TH brings. I hope we can keep him for a good contract again. I can only imagine playing against him in practice would help our players grow a thicker skin, and learn to not picking up as many knicky-knacky fouls.

Comment

A guy like Hansborough could be very useful if we meet the Pacers or the Heat the playoffs. I hope Casey puts him in versus Bosh, Lebron and Hibbert and junk up their games. We always struggle against mobile, stronger players and should be looking to put them on 'tilt' as early as possible.

Comment

bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
                            A guy like Hansborough could be very useful if we meet the Pacers or the Heat the playoffs. I hope Casey puts him in versus Bosh, Lebron and Hibbert and junk up their games. We always struggle against mobile, stronger players and should be looking to put them on 'tilt' as early as possible.
                            I don't know if Hansborough could guard small-ball fours such as Lebron or Pierce, but I agree with your premise. I wanted Casey to give Tyler more minutes against the Heat on Monday. Maybe he could have taken away some of the Birdman's rebounds in the 4th. He has the most playoff experience on the roster (35 games), and brings an element of toughness and hustle off the bench that will be important come playoff time.
                            Last edited by Jack_Bauer; Thu Apr 3, 2014, 05:10 PM.

Comment

I wonder if last night's very good showing against Houston will be enough to get Hansbrough back on the court? Personally, I did not miss seeing Chuck Hayes.

After reading the comments here, I think it does make sense for him to pass the ball out after an offensive rebound when he is being guarded by a centre or finds himself in the middle of two or three players under the basket, as happened last night. Much of Hansbrough's time on the court this season has been to spell Valanciunas, so he is often guarding taller players.

Comment

Tyler had 2 assists, and should have had 1 or 2 more. Anyway, the last time Tyler had more than 1 assist in a game was 4 months ago today in the Warriors collapse game. 39 games, 12.5 minutes per, 6 assists total.

I love Hansbrough's energy and toughness, and he's one of the best offensive rebounders in the game. If he can involve his teammates more often he should get increased minutes a ndhopefully we'll see much less of Chuck (and I'm probably one of Hayes few defenders).
                                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Working...
                                X