No announcement yet.

Houston @ Toronto 7:00 SN1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a forum, not a bunch of guys sitting around in a room watching a game on a big screen TV. There is no catching tone or facial expression. Words have meanings, and we can't read minds. So if some guy says "This team is shit" I take that to mean he thinks the team is shit. If he had said "This team is playing like shit right now" then I take that to mean he hates the way the team is playing, but recognizes they are capable of better.

If somebody writes, "Why doesn't DeRozan ever drive to the hoop" then I have to assume the writer is blind, or wilfully ignorant because I see DeRozan take it to the hoop every game...not as frequently as I would like, or as frequently as most of us would like, but he does take it to the hoop.

I am not going to apologize for responding to someone who is either writing stuff that is demonstrably wrong, or something that is not what they really mean. On the other hand, if being clear is not important to you, then in future I will ignore this type of post. You can go ahead and keep being ignorant and uninformed...I mean writing as if you are ignorant and uninformed. See the difference?

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
      I think Ross has better handles than Demar too, so he should be driving more than him.

Sadly, Demar has a tendency to lose the ball when driving through traffic (off his own foot, or simply the ball just gets away from his hands somehow). So increasing his drives to the basket would also increase his turnovers and might not be a net positive. I'm sure it's something the Raptors analytics department looks at.
      This is very true. Way too often for my liking. I'm hoping he comes back next year with an improvement in his handles and also extends his range on his jumper. Those improvements would take him and this team to another level.

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
        This is very true. Way too often for my liking. I'm hoping he comes back next year with an improvement in his handles and also extends his range on his jumper. Those improvements would take him and this team to another level.
        Such a DeRozan hater! lol

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
          I personally don't think DD is able to do it all the time because of his limited handle and slow feet, which is why we see him settle for the 2 because it is the shot he knows he can get.

BUT

The philosophy of getting to the rim shouldn't be placed just on DD's shoulders. The team as a whole often settles for the mid range and I would like to see us improve our ability to get to the rim, as well as utilize our big's in the paint more because 1) they are efficient in there and 2) because they are all very good FT shooters and they will get contact/foul calls. The team as it stands is imbalanced and puts too much emphasis on perimeter guard play, DD is a large part for this because he is our leading scorer and his habits will rub off on the rest of the team. I think this is a must solve problem going forward as a team, and not just emphasis on one player, but it does start with DD.

3 future goals for continued building of the team:

1) More drive and kick
          2) better utilization of posts
          3) 3 point shooting to open lanes/stretch floor and knock down kicks from the post/drive
          I agree. People think DD can do it whenever he wants but you have to have better handles and first step than DD does if you want to get into the paint at will. DD at times can't even get passed a big man one on one so I know he doesn't have the first step to get to the rim at will.
          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Thats the thing. Thats my biggest issue with some of the posters on here. Some criticize DD for is consistency but don't criticize other players who should be doing the very things they expect from Demar (how often does Ross get to the line?). Demar is top 10 in scoring and free throw attempts/makes.....what more can you possibly want?

In all fairness, if you're going to critize someone (OldSkoolCool this is for you)

Demar's rookie season FTA 2.5 per game in 21 mins / Demar's second year his FTA rose to 4.9 per game at 35 mins

Ross's rookie season FTA 0.6 per game in 17 mins / Ross' second season rose to 1.1 FTA per game in 26.4 mins

Just take that in.... I wonder when you will start to criticize Ross.

Demar averages 7.9 FTA per game this season BTW.
            DD plays 9 more minutes on average looooool

So DD should get to the line more often also in DD second year he could take as many shots/drives he wanted because there was no high usage player on his team with him, Ross on the other hand plays 9 less minutes on average and has to play with a high usage player in DD
            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
              DD plays 9 more minutes on average looooool

So DD should get to the line more often also in DD second year he could take as many shots/drives he wanted because there was no high usage player on his team with him, Ross on the other hand plays 9 less minutes on average and has to play with a high usage player in DD
              Ross 2nd year USG: 18.7%
              Demar's 2nd year USG: 23.2%
              Demar = 24% more

Ross 2nd year MPG: 26.4
              Demar 2nd year MPG: 35
              Demar = 32% more

Ross's adjusted FTA (if he had same usage and mpg) is 1.1 x 1.32 x 1.24 = 1.8
              Demar's was 4.9

So he still sits well ahead of Ross on the FTA per game.

Not taking sides, just picking out inconsistencies, being a pain in the ass, which i love.
              Last edited by stooley; Thu Apr 3, 2014, 07:11 PM.
              "Bruno?
              Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Thats the thing. Thats my biggest issue with some of the posters on here. Some criticize DD for is consistency but don't criticize other players who should be doing the very things they expect from Demar (how often does Ross get to the line?). Demar is top 10 in scoring and free throw attempts/makes.....what more can you possibly want?

In all fairness, if you're going to critize someone (OldSkoolCool this is for you)

Demar's rookie season FTA 2.5 per game in 21 mins / Demar's second year his FTA rose to 4.9 per game at 35 mins

Ross's rookie season FTA 0.6 per game in 17 mins / Ross' second season rose to 1.1 FTA per game in 26.4 mins

Just take that in.... I wonder when you will start to criticize Ross.

Demar averages 7.9 FTA per game this season BTW.
                Dat rep

As I pointed out the TEAM as a whole needs to do a better job getting into the paint, whether by driving or kicking it into the post. Since DD is the main guy who RARELY ever passes into the post and who settles for the jumper he does take a ton of blame for this and rightly so.

DD just plays a certain style of basketball that does not fit my philosophies of how a team should operate, hence why I do not want him in a Raptors jersey come next season. It also explain why I don't think he is that good, because he is not good at what I would like from his position on the court.

Puffer wrote: View Post
                This is a forum, not a bunch of guys sitting around in a room watching a game on a big screen TV. There is no catching tone or facial expression. Words have meanings, and we can't read minds. So if some guy says "This team is shit" I take that to mean he thinks the team is shit. If he had said "This team is playing like shit right now" then I take that to mean he hates the way the team is playing, but recognizes they are capable of better.

If somebody writes, "Why doesn't DeRozan ever drive to the hoop" then I have to assume the writer is blind, or wilfully ignorant because I see DeRozan take it to the hoop every game...not as frequently as I would like, or as frequently as most of us would like, but he does take it to the hoop.

I am not going to apologize for responding to someone who is either writing stuff that is demonstrably wrong, or something that is not what they really mean. On the other hand, if being clear is not important to you, then in future I will ignore this type of post. You can go ahead and keep being ignorant and uninformed...I mean writing as if you are ignorant and uninformed. See the difference?
                I think you are also a part of the issue. As a reader you need to envision it if a person were saying it because forums are designed as tools to converse between people who are unable to due to distance/anonymity. It is your job as the reader to interpret and apply context/emotion to what you are reading. The world is full of a ton of grey so you should stop reading things as black and white.

For example "Why doesn't DD ever drive to the hoop?" - means why doesn't he use that as his main weapon? not "he has never done it before in his life!!??"

Add a little grey

GLF wrote: View Post
                I agree. People think DD can do it whenever he wants but you have to have better handles and first step than DD does if you want to get into the paint at will. DD at times can't even get passed a big man one on one so I know he doesn't have the first step to get to the rim at will.
                Thx for describing the slow feet, is a really good example of it.

Comment

• for everyone complaining about demar and lack of driving to the hoop:

http://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingD...&sortOrder=DES

demar is 12th in the league in amount of drives.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                    Ross 2nd year USG: 18.7%
                    Demar's 2nd year USG: 23.2%
                    Demar = 24% more

Ross 2nd year MPG: 26.4
                    Demar 2nd year MPG: 35
                    Demar = 32% more

Ross's adjusted FTA (if he had same usage and mpg) is 1.1 x 1.32 x 1.24 = 1.8
                    Demar's was 4.9

So he still sits well ahead of Ross on the FTA per game.

Not taking sides, just picking out inconsistencies, being a pain in the ass, which i love.
                    Cool.

And Ross is on target for making like 33 times the amount of threes. Wow. Much difference.

Completely irrelevant, but I like being annoying as well.

Or,..or...or... Maybe they just complement each other well..nah, surely not.

Comment

• Anyone watching the spurs and thunder game? This is an example of playoff officiating. The refs aren't bailing anyone out.
                      We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
                        for everyone complaining about demar and lack of driving to the hoop:

http://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingD...&sortOrder=DES

demar is 12th in the league in amount of drives.
                        Well I'm not surprised. He averages a ton of minutes and the ball goes through him on almost every possession. 12th is not good enough in my opinion in comparison to being in top 5, which he's easily capable of. Don't set your standards low. Its like saying my girlfriend only goes down on me once a month. Its not good enough lol
                        We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                          ...I think you are also a part of the issue. As a reader you need to envision it if a person were saying it because forums are designed as tools to converse between people who are unable to due to distance/anonymity. It is your job as the reader to interpret and apply context/emotion to what you are reading. The world is full of a ton of grey so you should stop reading things as black and white.

For example "Why doesn't DD ever drive to the hoop?" - means why doesn't he use that as his main weapon? not "he has never done it before in his life!!??" Add a little grey...
                          Guilty as charged. Good coaching coach.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                            Guilty as charged. Good coaching coach.
                            Wow I think were having a breakthrough lol

Comment

• Ambidextrious wrote: View Post
                              Well I'm not surprised. He averages a ton of minutes and the ball goes through him on almost every possession. 12th is not good enough in my opinion in comparison to being in top 5, which he's easily capable of. Don't set your standards low. Its like saying my girlfriend only goes down on me once a month. Its not good enough lol
                              obviously you're surprised and are just trying to backpedal with your response. top 12 isn't good enough for you? who do you think he is? lebron? oh wait, lebron is 13th in # of drives.

all of those top players 'average tons of minutes' per game.

demar plays on average 38.6 minutes a game. there are 5 players who play > 38 and they are:

james harden
                              carmelo anthony
                              kevin durant
                              jimmy butler
                              demar derozan

guess who drives more than all of them? demar.

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
                                obviously you're surprised and are just trying to backpedal with your response. top 12 isn't good enough for you? who do you think he is? lebron? oh wait, lebron is 13th in # of drives.

all of those top players 'average tons of minutes' per game.

demar plays on average 38.6 minutes a game. there are 5 players who play > 38 and they are:

james harden
                                carmelo anthony
                                kevin durant
                                jimmy butler
                                demar derozan

guess who drives more than all of them? demar.
                                WOW you did a REALLY good job finding that stat. That's crazy that he's 12th. I would never have believed that otherwise. Is that stat based on how much he drives period (whether it's to pass or score) or based off of how much he scores from driving?
                                I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Working...
                                X