Game #70: Toronto Raptors VS Detroit Pistons - 17/03/19 - 4:00PM ET - TSN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game #70: Toronto Raptors VS Detroit Pistons - 17/03/19 - 4:00PM ET - TSN

After an easy victory over the Lakers, the Raptors head back to Little Caesars Arena to take on Detroit. The Pistons have had an odd stretch as of late: at the beginning of February, they were 22-28, and two games back of a playoff spot. Then, they went 12-3 over the next 5 weeks and had the best net rating in the NBA over that time. Their momentum has come to a screeching halt, however, as they were annihilated 103-75 by Brooklyn on Monday, and 108-74 by Miami on Wednesday. They scored just 25 points in the entire second half against the Heat, equalling their franchise-record for fewest points in a half in the shot clock era. Also, Reggie Jackson left the game injured, and it is unclear what his status is...Dwane Casey said he would be fine, so I'm keeping him in the projected lineup.

The good news for the Pistons is that they play the Lakers tonight.

PROJECTED LINEUPS

KEYS TO THE GAME:

1. Battle of the Bigs: Griffin and Drummond is a very imposing frontcourt, and the Raptors will be without Serge Ibaka for a second straight game. The play of Marc Gasol will be crucial, while Pascal Siakam, OG Anunoby and Chris Boucher will have to match up against some larger counterparts

2. Ball Movement: Despite scoring 111 points and winning the game by 13, the Raptors had 21 assists yesterday, three fewer than the Lakers. A lot of that has to do with Kyle Lowry being out, so if he's on the sidelines again on Sunday the Raptors will have to find a way to keep the ball humming

3. Beat Dwane: The Raptors are 0-2 against Detroit this season, with the buzzer-beating loss at home in November and the overtime loss on my birthday. This is our last regular season game against former coach Dwane Casey, and it would be nice if we could beat him once

LET'S GO RAPS!!!
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Did I expect such a nice thread?

no mr. Bond. I expect you to win!

back to the matter at hand. Fuck u dwane Casey u bitter old head. We're so sorry for paying you millions, and launching your career to the stratosphere.

dwane Casey is NOT I repeat NOT an nba coach today without bryan colangelo and later masai ujiri and mlse. So again, kindly, fuck you.

let's pummel him for once.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post

back to the matter at hand. Fuck u dwane Casey u bitter old head. We're so sorry for paying you millions, and launching your career to the stratosphere.

dwane Casey is NOT I repeat NOT an nba coach today without bryan colangelo and later masai ujiri and mlse. So again, kindly, fuck you.

It's been pretty clear since he was fired that Casey has wanted to fire both barrels at the Raptors organization but he's mostly kept it to more subtle shots at Nurse and management. It's a bit of a microcosm of Casey's approach to a lot of things in that he rarely if ever comes right out and say exactly what he thinks as a matter of self-preservation (you can never really pin him down, so he can always adapt to new events) but there's always been one line here or there that gives you clues.

Once Casey is retired my guess is that we'll hear all about his side of the story (i.e. blaming everyone but himself) but until then he will play good company man in Detroit just like he did here to keep the checks rolling in.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post

It's been pretty clear since he was fired that Casey has wanted to fire both barrels at the Raptors organization but he's mostly kept it to more subtle shots at Nurse and management. It's a bit of a microcosm of Casey's approach to a lot of things in that he rarely if ever comes right out and say exactly what he thinks as a matter of self-preservation (you can never really pin him down, so he can always adapt to new events) but there's always been one line here or there that gives you clues.

Once Casey is retired my guess is that we'll hear all about his side of the story (i.e. blaming everyone but himself) but until then he will play good company man in Detroit just like he did here to keep the checks rolling in.
        He had every opportunity (and reason) to just be gracious. "Thank the Raptors, MLSE and Ujiri for the opportunity. We tried and didn't get there, now it's on to new things." But no. He feels wronged, slighted, screwed.

Now, Casey is a smart man. He also understands the business of pro sports quite well. So, if he's smart and he understands sports, and he still feels wronged, that would mean he's selfish. Would I be upset too? Hell yeah, of course, that's natural. But he clearly can't come to grips with it because his own head is in the way.

This is a team that hired him when no else would. Kept him through a regime change. An embarrassing first round sweep. Multiple dissapointing exits. Kept him, backed him, RESIGNED him to lucrative money, all the way through conference finals and coach of the year. Those 2 achievements ensured he was kept around in coaching conversations until the day he chooses to retire.

If we fired him after the Wizards sweep, bro would be Sam Mitchell. Maybe take an assistant gig, maybe analyze hilights on NBA TV. No 30 million guaranteed a week after his firing. BELIEEE DAT

Comment

He had every opportunity (and reason) to just be gracious. "Thank the Raptors, MLSE and Ujiri for the opportunity. We tried and didn't get there, now it's on to new things." But no. He feels wronged, slighted, screwed.

Now, Casey is a smart man. He also understands the business of pro sports quite well. So, if he's smart and he understands sports, and he still feels wronged, that would mean he's selfish. Would I be upset too? Hell yeah, of course, that's natural. But he clearly can't come to grips with it because his own head is in the way.

This is a team that hired him when no else would. Kept him through a regime change. An embarrassing first round sweep. Multiple dissapointing exits. Kept him, backed him, RESIGNED him to lucrative money, all the way through conference finals and coach of the year. Those 2 achievements ensured he was kept around in coaching conversations until the day he chooses to retire.

If we fired him after the Wizards sweep, bro would be Sam Mitchell. Maybe take an assistant gig, maybe analyze hilights on NBA TV. No 30 million guaranteed a week after his firing. BELIEEE DAT
          But he did thank the Raptors, MLSE, and the front office.

Did you not read his farewell letter?

https://www.thestar.com/sports/rapto...thank-you.html

Comment

Well a loss tonight to the Lebrons... and a win by the Raps on Sunday ... puts the Pistons on the slippery slope heading due south.. That would be 4 losses in a row and push Caseys team from 6th to 7th with the Heat a half game back for 8th and the Orlando Magic lurking only 2.5 back with a sched as soft as a Justin Trudeau promise. ....

If the Raps have any malice for Dwane... beating him at home with the post season on the line would be a way to express it...
            Last edited by Demographic Shift; Fri Mar 15, 2019, 04:08 PM.
            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
            - TGO

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post

But he did thank the Raptors, MLSE, and the front office.

Did you not read his farewell letter?

https://www.thestar.com/sports/rapto...thank-you.html
              Yeah yeah, that was the required thing. The fluff. I should have said, he could have LEFT IT at that.

Isn't he cute how he never mentions Masai Ujiri? The one who kept him on through many opportunities to not do that, and resigned him and went to bat for him every offseason

Comment

Yeah yeah, that was the required thing. The fluff. I should have said, he could have LEFT IT at that.

Isn't he cute how he never mentions Masai Ujiri? The one who kept him on through many opportunities to not do that, and resigned him and went to bat for him every offseason
                You sound more bitter than Dwane to be honest. Like who cares? He's totally irrelevant to us now. His team is bad, if we face them in the playoffs we'll crush them.

I can honestly say I've thought about Dwane Casey like three times this season and I'm happy that that is the case.

Comment

Not gonna lie, deep down I’m hoping the Raptors lose this, Casey talks more shit and the Raptors sweep the fuck out of them in the Playoffs.

Comment

Nah, I think about him rarely too. Just wanted to kick start the game thread

Comment

He thanks the Tanenbaums, the board and ownerships - the guys who sign his cheques. Casey is a savant at seeking out the right asses to kiss.... blindfolded in a cave. He's a career survivor. Reminds me of a few smooth pandering corporate middle management types I've come across.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

He thanks the Tanenbaums, the board and ownerships - the guys who sign his cheques. Casey is a savant at seeking out the right asses to kiss.... blindfolded in a cave. He's a career survivor. Reminds me of a few smooth pandering corporate middle management types I've come across.
                        The irony is rich that he keeps taking shots at his "assistant coach over there" "whatever his name is" who uses "all the same plays" as when I was there....the same guy who wore his assistant coach ring to a press conference gloating about HE'S the champion

Comment

After the Mavs won the Championship, Casey was a HOT commodity. So I'm not sure this is true at all. If we didn't hire him, someone else would have. He's a capable coach (despite what many here say), and I don't think BC is the only one able to figure that out. That all said, I'm glad he's gone. But I'm also glad he found a new gig.

Comment

First game of a b2b. - Pistons and the Knicks The right move here is for Kawhi to play in Detroit because 1. they're a better team than the Knicks and because 2. they're 2-0 against us this year. But great players like Kawhi loves to play in NY, so we'll see.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

BREAKING News!!! Kawhi is on the set of how hungry are you!! he's stay!! don't know how to link it this new forum so you'll have to believe me
                              To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

Working...
                              X