Game #70: Toronto Raptors VS Detroit Pistons - 17/03/19 - 4:00PM ET - TSN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game #70: Toronto Raptors VS Detroit Pistons - 17/03/19 - 4:00PM ET - TSN

After an easy victory over the Lakers, the Raptors head back to Little Caesars Arena to take on Detroit. The Pistons have had an odd stretch as of late: at the beginning of February, they were 22-28, and two games back of a playoff spot. Then, they went 12-3 over the next 5 weeks and had the best net rating in the NBA over that time. Their momentum has come to a screeching halt, however, as they were annihilated 103-75 by Brooklyn on Monday, and 108-74 by Miami on Wednesday. They scored just 25 points in the entire second half against the Heat, equalling their franchise-record for fewest points in a half in the shot clock era. Also, Reggie Jackson left the game injured, and it is unclear what his status is...Dwane Casey said he would be fine, so I'm keeping him in the projected lineup.

The good news for the Pistons is that they play the Lakers tonight.

PROJECTED LINEUPS

KEYS TO THE GAME:

1. Battle of the Bigs: Griffin and Drummond is a very imposing frontcourt, and the Raptors will be without Serge Ibaka for a second straight game. The play of Marc Gasol will be crucial, while Pascal Siakam, OG Anunoby and Chris Boucher will have to match up against some larger counterparts

2. Ball Movement: Despite scoring 111 points and winning the game by 13, the Raptors had 21 assists yesterday, three fewer than the Lakers. A lot of that has to do with Kyle Lowry being out, so if he's on the sidelines again on Sunday the Raptors will have to find a way to keep the ball humming

3. Beat Dwane: The Raptors are 0-2 against Detroit this season, with the buzzer-beating loss at home in November and the overtime loss on my birthday. This is our last regular season game against former coach Dwane Casey, and it would be nice if we could beat him once

LET'S GO RAPS!!!

• GLF
    replied
    Fred looks SOOOOOOOO much better coming back from injury than he ever did while he was playing before the injury. I definitely think he had a lot of nagging injuries before he took the time off that was slowing him down. Also we are using him better right now by always having him alongside another point guard and having him be the floor spacer. But even when he does run the pick and roll he's doing a much better job the last two games than he's ever done. I think having a big body to play alongside like Gasol helps everyone. Gives them more space. Kyle's played better as well. JV would have done the same thing but yea we see how they struggle a little more offensively when Serge is the screen setter.
    Last edited by GLF; Mon Mar 18th, 2019, 08:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

Dwane Casey burner account confirmed.

Butch, Wilkens and Smitch (first Raptor COTY) all had seasons with winning records. Casey didn't have a winning season until Masai showed up. If Colangelo hung around, he would have signed Rudy Gay to a max contract and axed Casey quickly for not being able to win with Gay as the face of the franchise. Masai has never experienced a losing season as the top basketball guy of the Toronto Raptors. Chew on that..... when you consider the length and depths of futility we have seen. And consider that we just lost Casey and have hardly missed a beat with a new coach who's playing in a sandbox half the time, by design.
    I'm not a Casey fan at all but it's true that he's the first coach in out history to have a Raps career winning percentage @ .573
    That is, until a certain Nick Nurse .... @ .700

https://www.basketball-reference.com...R/coaches.html

Leave a comment:

• GLF
    replied
    Damn this lineup is moving the ball right now. Beautiful basketball. Knicks are terrible but still lol

Leave a comment:

• GLF
    replied
    I truly never thought Kyle would still be this important to the team when Kawhi came here but he really is our MVP and Most important player. Our offence and defence just runs so much better when he's playing and on the floor. Like significantly better. You can just see it

Leave a comment:

• inthepaint
    replied
    G__Deane wrote: View Post

You're not going to find that here ..... it's dump-on-Nurse day, every day. Note the post on here earlier that said every contributor on RR could coach this team to no worse or a better record .... a 2nd place team in the entire NBA with all the injuries and trades and load management they've had.

And not one single person bothered to disagree.... that's the problem with the current hot takes after every loss. Poster here actually think they know better than an experienced Assistant or Coach that has made his way to the friggin' NBA over thousands of professional hopefuls

Armchair coaches making eye test ploclammations are actually pretty hillarious. The odds of the Raps making the NBA finals are X% and the odds of winning the NBA finlas are considerably less. But at least were all ready to blame the coach who's doing pretty damned well with the odds stacked against him.....jmo
    It's not dump on Nurse day everyday. He deserves credit for having a team with the 2nd best record on the league this late in the year, as a rookie coach, despite lots of injuries. A lot of it is sheer talent and adaptability by the players, but Nurse has shown he's got strenghts too (like smart ATO plays and ability to recognize player stregnths)

That said, he has also made questionable/bad decisions, including running black-hole all-bench lineups, or bench lineups anchored by Lowry or Siakam, but without them handling the ball. A lot of it is being chalked to experimentation, and that can have its benefits, but there's nothing wrong in questioning the drawbacks of that approach on a forum like this, especially given the playoffs are right around the corner, and the them achiles heel is cohesiveness/chemistry.

I don't think anyone is purporting to be a better coach than Nurse (if anyone was they wouldn't be writing here they'd be actually coaching a big league), but this forum has lot of people that have been watching ball for a long time, some of which have also played & coached before. Sure you get the odd troll now and them, the ever present bias for/against certain players, and it gets toxic sometimes right after a loss, but at the end of the day this forum is pretty knowledgeable overall and has picked up/anticipated stuff that ended up materializing on the court (and in off-seasons). I really like this team and the way it's constructed, and will always cheer for the Raps no matter what, but when something feels off I'll call it too...

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post

Raptor fans have never liked a coach in the history of the franchise, we're not about to start now damnit
    I liked Malone. Got a lot of somethin' out of nuthin'. And refused to lose on purpose.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied

He's talking about career record with Raptors, not single season. But I mostly agree with the rest.

The 2 MVP's of the We The North era are Masai Ujiri and Kyle Lowry and I'm not willing to debate facts
    Ok, and not debating KLo + Masai at all. Pretty sure if Masai had brought in a Nate McMillan or Mike Brown type of coach, we would have seen the same 7 year run. They are basically Casey doppelgangers.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

Butch, Wilkens and Smitch (first Raptor COTY) all had seasons with winning records. Casey didn't have a winning season until Masai showed up. If Colangelo hung around, he would have signed Rudy Gay to a max contract and axed Casey quickly for not being able to win with Gay as the face of the franchise. Masai has never experienced a losing season as the top basketball guy of the Toronto Raptors. Chew on that..... when you consider the length and depths of futility we have seen. And consider that we just lost Casey and have hardly missed a beat with a new coach who's playing in a sandbox half the time, by design.
    He's talking about career record with Raptors, not single season. But I mostly agree with the rest.

The 2 MVP's of the We The North era are Masai Ujiri and Kyle Lowry and I'm not willing to debate facts

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    G__Deane wrote: View Post

Some like Smitch (and still do) ..... which I've never understood

I still have a bit of a soft spot for Butch Carter . It's worth noting that we never had a single winning% coach until Casey, a run of 7 head coaches before him.....

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied

Raptor fans have never liked a coach in the history of the franchise, we're not about to start now damnit
    Some like Smitch (and still do) ..... which I've never understood

I still have a bit of a soft spot for Butch Carter . It's worth noting that we never had a single winning% coach until Casey, a run of 7 head coaches before him.....

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    We saw a short leash on Lin yesterday. You'll see 9-10 guys in round 1, 8-9 guys in round 2, and maybe 7-8 guys in the ECF and Finals. Ibaka, Gasol, Siakam, Kawhi, Green, Lowry, FVV & OG is the likely 8-man playoff rotation. Powell "might" get a shot at a regular spot, but will be banished to the bench quickly if he doesn't perform reliably. Everybody else is situational depth (foul trouble, injuries, matchups, energy, etc...)

Leave a comment:

• GLF
    replied

Yeah, playoffs will save Nurse from himself

Bench:
    1. Fred
    2. Serge
    3. OG
    4. Situational/whoevers rolling at the time out of Powell, Lin, McCaw
    He did say this in the post game interview so I'm glad to hear that. He also said there will be the starters and then Serge. So that means he's finally settled in on Marc starting which is great.

Leave a comment:

• GLF
    replied
    He did and I completely understand his logic behind it but I find he's experimenting with lineups that don't make any sense and obviously wouldn't work. I want to see him experiment with more logical lineups and lineups that we may actually see in the playoffs. Why bother at this point in the season running an all bench unit when you won't be playing that in the playoffs? Like I don't get it. Why continue to have players do things they aren't good at when you have more than half the season of proof that says they can't do it? If Fred can't run a pick and roll now he for damn sure won't be able to do it in the playoffs so why are we still wasting time doing that for example? That's more my frustration. I understand giving a guy like Fred that freedom in the beginning of the season even mid season but not now. Let's experiment with more of the transitional lineups (mix of starters and bench players). That to me is productive. Not these all bench lineups.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    Yeah, playoffs will save Nurse from himself

Bench:
    1. Fred
    2. Serge
    3. OG
    4. Situational/whoevers rolling at the time out of Powell, Lin, McCaw

Leave a comment:

Working...
X