Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game #74 - Raptors (51-22) vs Hornets (33-39); Sunday March 24th at 6pm EDT on TSN4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welp. We got fried by Bacon, burned by Bridges and silenced by Lamb.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      welp. We got fried by bacon, burned by bridges and silenced by lamb.
      hey-o!

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

there are relativey few plays to call to combat a shit house luck 60 foot half court heave....
        I meant when were up 2 and a chance to go up 4. He just let the play go and Kawhi takes a bad contested shot. In almost all other NBA teams the coach would have called a TO to set up a play. No?

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

Remember that beyond half court Jeremy Lamb buzzer beater you called? It was that. That did it.
          Yes, Yes...Given the way the Raptors got back in the game, it was a tough, b.s. way to lose. I will check out the TO situation and just ponder why every other NBA coach would have called a TO, no need to save it.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post

Nah even franchise players have off nights.

You have my vote (and my spot if it comes to it) for the playoff rotation.
            That’s very kind of you Scraps. I don’t know that I’d accept it however. Must respect the basketball gods.

My brand didn’t work last year... the universe is telling us it’s time to embrace change. I’ll do my work inside the game threads. Not to mention — your game threads are some of the all time greats.

(I can’t believe we just lost the hat game. Just goes to show, anything can happen in a Game #74 Hat Game.)

Comment

• Zak24gege wrote: View Post

Yes, Yes...Given the way the Raptors got back in the game, it was a tough, b.s. way to lose. I will check out the TO situation and just ponder why every other NBA coach would have called a TO, no need to save it.
              I mean, you may be right on the last Kawhi offensive play, for sure. Should have gotten a better shot than that, without a doubt. Hopefully that lesson sticks.

Comment

• Half court + heave is a bullchit way to lose but never should have been in that position against a mediocre team with a fully healthy Raps squad to oppose

Comment

• Game could have gone either way at the end, though didn't need to be that close. What I noticed:

--Big strides have been made in the way we start games. It used to be they start off sleeping and had to chase the whole game. Now Q1's are just beautiful and killer efficient basketball. Then the rotations start and kills it.

--As we strive to become a more assist-oriented team, more frequent passer, quicker passing in transition, and with wings handling the ball more (Siakam & Leonard), the turnovers are increasing exponentially.

--When Gasol is with the starters the offence flows nicely, but the rebounding suffers tremendously. I'm not sure if statistically the extra offensive efficiency he may bring offsets the rise second chance opportunities for the other team on the glass.

--When they decide to lock down on defence, it's a thing of beauty.

--Nurse had once again a non-reproducible lineup (outside reg season) of Lin-FVV-McCaw-OG-Ibaka. Needless to say it was a big negative, but I have a feeling NN knows this, and it's still using these last games as some sort of audition to see who the 9th man gonna be. The problem is it's hard to do that and build chemistry at the same time, and chemistry/consistency is more important right now than deciding who the 9th man is going to be.

--Lowry came back with only 3min left in the game. Most players in that situation will be coming in cold, and will need a minute to get in rhythm, at which point the game is pretty much over. To me if you wanna bring someone back to close the game, do it with 6min left at the most, or don't bring them in at all. Bringing them in cold with 3 min left is just an injury waiting to happen.

--For better or worse, the experimentation continues.
                  Last edited by inthepaint; Sun Mar 24, 2019, 10:46 PM.

Comment

• Here's a simple test:
                    Today
                    NBA Team 1 gets 93 FGA's
                    NBA Team 2 gets 77 FGA's
                    Who should win?

Let's check the last OKC game
                    NBA Team 1 gets 94 FGA's
                    NBA Team 2 gets 78 FGA's
                    Who should win?

Team 1 should and did win both games.

Just looking toward future playoff's. (1) The issues that have resulted in opponents getting the extra FGA's are turnovers and giving up offensive rebounds. These have been season long issues that certainly will also be a playoff problem when faced with amped up defensive pressure. (2) Our bench got beat badly again. McCaw -17 in 11 minutes, Ibaka -11 in 18 mins, JLin -8 in 6 mins and OG -7 in 15 mins. Only Norm had a positive +/-. Can't even say it was the starters beating up our bench unit. As CHA on bk-bk, they used a 10 deep roster with their bench getting more minutes than ours. Hopefully with a shorter bench and staggering rotations this deficiency can be addressed.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
                      Game could have gone either way at the end, though didn't need to be that close. What I noticed:

--Big strides have been made in the way we start games. It used to be they start off sleeping and had to chase the whole game. Now Q1's are just beautiful and killer efficient basketball. Then the rotations start and kills it.

--As we strive to become a more assist-oriented team, more frequent passer, quicker passing in transition, and with wings handling the ball more (Siakam & Leonard), the turnovers are increasing exponentially.

--When Gasol is with the starters the offence flows nicely, but the rebounding suffers tremendously. I'm not sure if statistically the extra offensive efficiency he may bring offsets the rise second chance opportunities for the other team on the glass.

--When they decide to lock down on defence, it's a thing of beauty.

--Nurse had once again a non-reproducible lineup (outside reg season) of Lin-FVV-McCaw-OG-Ibaka. Needless to say it was a big negative, but I have a feeling NN knows this, and it's still using these last games as some sort of audition to see who the 9th man gonna be. The problem is it's hard to do that and build chemistry at the same time, and chemistry/consistency is more important right now than deciding who the 9th man is going to be.

--Lowry came back with only 3min left in the game. Most players in that situation will be coming in cold, and will need a minute to get in rhythm, at which point the game is pretty much over. To me if you wanna bring someone back to close the game, do it with 6min left at the most, or don't bring them in at all. Bringing them in cold with 3 min left is just an injury waiting to happen.

--For better or worse, the experimentation continues.
                      I agree with your points. To me the turnover and rebounding issues combined are our Achilles heel. As I wrote earlier these translate into additional FGA's. For the last 2 games, the opponents had 20% more FGA's than the Raps..

Comment

• FVV had 2 more reb than Gasol (4 DREB)

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                          Half court + heave is a bullchit way to lose but never should have been in that position against a mediocre team with a fully healthy Raps squad to oppose
                          Agree 100%.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

I mean, you may be right on the last Kawhi offensive play, for sure. Should have gotten a better shot than that, without a doubt. Hopefully that lesson sticks.
                            It would be nicer to be learning lessons while winning

Comment

• Based on Nick's post game comments, he wanted to have a look at McCaw tonight. So how did he look in 11 mins: STATLINE: 11 mins, 2 Pts, 1-2 FG's, 0-1 3's, 0 Reb, 0 Ast, 0 Stl, 0 TO, 1 PF and he was -17. Nick you've seen the guy for 3 months, know his strength's etc, decide what his role will be and move on. Man can you not make a fucking decision?

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                                Half court + heave is a bullchit way to lose but never should have been in that position against a mediocre team with a fully healthy Raps squad to oppose
                                A team truly fighting for their playoff lives like Charlotte is, is better than the sum of it's parts. Charlotte was determined, and the basketball Gods rewarded them. After beating the Celtics the night before, Charlotte is making a helluva run at that final spot.

Comment

Working...
                                X