Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Look at your avatar. That's an athlete.

Now show me the Curling equivalent.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/th...215036291.html

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
      Debate settled. I love Curling!

Comment

I think we all agree/understand that the Raptors will be number 3 or 4 in terms of priority for broadcasting: behind the Leafs and other Cdn Teams, and the Jays which is mostly what sportsnet covers. What we are all pissed about is these networks showing Raptors games on their secondary channels (TSN2, Sportsnet1) when the Leafs/CdnTeams or the Jays aren't playing and they're showing "sports" like curling, darts, poker, golf or nas fucking car on their main channels!!!

Not everyone or I should say most of us only have basic cable TV so only the main sports channels are available to us. This of course affects the so-called TV-ratings since we can't watch the games, most of us resolve to watching live stream games on the Internet.

We Raptors fans already suffer the TSN SportsCentre syndrome wherein the Raptors win a huge game on their network, but they would first cover what happens to John Tortorella, or why did this Team USA hockey player got snubbed, or focus more on how the Leafs missed the playoffs instead on how the Raptors are making the playoffs. They show all the hockey highlights, then a 10-sec or less Raptors highlights, then it's back to the Hockey Panel w/ Bob Mackenzie and those dudes. This is similar to how my Yankee friends who are hockey fans complain on how they only get 10 seconds of hockey then it's all about Lebron on ESPN.

If they do prioritize these shows, why not show Raptors game on their websites for free? Similar to how they do with Tennis matches. And yeah, even players like Raonic or Genie Bouchard who's carrying Canadian tennis today barely get coverage from the main networks.

Comment

Hahaha yes!
          There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
            Well there's a lot of fucking championship games lol and besides you, I've never met anyone under the age of 70 who actually watches any of these events
            Lol so that means no one under 70 is watching? These general blanket statements are hilarious. What if someone of the baby boomer generation were to say "I've never met anyone over 30 that watches the Raptors"? Does that make it true? The networks are playing to the demographics. They're essentially selling a product just like any other business. The popularity of the alternatives is obviously higher than Raptors games at the moment. It sucks, but it is what it is.

@clericalbeats

Comment

RobertArchibald wrote: View Post
              Lol so that means no one under 70 is watching? These general blanket statements are hilarious. What if someone of the baby boomer generation were to say "I've never met anyone over 30 that watches the Raptors"? Does that make it true? The networks are playing to the demographics. They're essentially selling a product just like any other business. The popularity of the alternatives is obviously higher than Raptors games at the moment. It sucks, but it is what it is.
              I would bet thousands of dollars if I could that the majority of the Curling event viewers are over 60. Just because I made a blanket statement doesn't mean that I'm not right lol
              And if someone of the baby boomer generation said they never met anyone over thirty who watches the Raptors I would say that's probably because they're old as shit and don't get out and therefor don't meet that many people lol
              You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                I would bet thousands of dollars if I could that the majority of the Curling event viewers are over 60. Just because I made a blanket statement doesn't mean that I'm not right lol
                And if someone of the baby boomer generation said they never met anyone over thirty who watches the Raptors I would say that's probably because they're old as shit and don't get out and therefor don't meet that many people lol
                Another Raptor fan that knows it all. You and Nilanka must be the same person!

@clericalbeats

Comment

Maybe they show curling because their fans actually buy the products they advertise (except beer, fans of superb athletes like basketballers consume vast quantities of beer - no irony there).
                  If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                    Maybe they show curling because their fans actually buy the products they advertise (except beer, fans of superb athletes like basketballers consume vast quantities of beer - no irony there).
                    Well curling does get strong viewership...and in terms of demographics, it's probably a generally affluent crowd, so sponsors want to target these people with money to blow

Comment

It's sad the treatment that basketball gets in Canadian media (speaking specifically to showing games and hi-lights). I am constantly frustrated that TSN will show hilights of 6 hockey games (including the battles of Columbus vs Carolina) before they show Raps game coverage. Heck, even Leafs practices on non-game days often get in ahead of the Raps game hi-lights.

I agree with Nilanka's view that curling is not a sport. It's a game. Sports involve both skill and athleticism, while games are skill based. I also put golf in this category. Games can be very difficult to master (like golf and curling), but that doesn't make them a sport. TSN should focus on sports. TSN2 (like the ESPN model previously mentioned) can show the games when applicable.
                      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I'm sure the folks at TSN constantly struggle over this dilemma. What's more important:

a) delineating between what is a game and what is a sport
                        or
                        b) making money

It's an agonizing decision.
                        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                          I'm sure the folks at TSN constantly struggle over this dilemma. What's more important:

a) delineating between what is a game and what is a sport
                          or
                          b) making money

It's an agonizing decision.
                          I don't think anyone's debating why TSN does what it does.

For me, it's more a question of "why do viewers give TSN a reason to do what they do"?

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            I don't think anyone's debating why TSN does what it does.

For me, it's more a question of "why do viewers give TSN a reason to do what they do"?
                            Agreed. No one is questioning the motives of TSN. Perhaps their integrity, credibility, and core function, but never their motive.
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Dang, I was hoping to see the response for a picture of a curler doing something athletic..

Thanks for the alternative though. LOL
                              your pal,
                              ebrian

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                                It's sad the treatment that basketball gets in Canadian media (speaking specifically to showing games and hi-lights). I am constantly frustrated that TSN will show hilights of 6 hockey games (including the battles of Columbus vs Carolina) before they show Raps game coverage. Heck, even Leafs practices on non-game days often get in ahead of the Raps game hi-lights.

I agree with Nilanka's view that curling is not a sport. It's a game. Sports involve both skill and athleticism, while games are skill based. I also put golf in this category. Games can be very difficult to master (like golf and curling), but that doesn't make them a sport. TSN should focus on sports. TSN2 (like the ESPN model previously mentioned) can show the games when applicable.
                                All sports are games. Don't kid yourself. Golf might be the MOST athletic sport there is. The body control and timing needed is one of the most difficult physical movements possible. A golf swing moves faster than any other movement in all of sports. But it's just a skill with no athleticism? Try something before you make judgements.

@clericalbeats

Comment

Working...
                                X