X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

I'm mixed race from West Indies and have medium-dark skin and I'm really deflated that we still need to have these "conversations" in 2020. I grew up in the 70s & 80s and remember my parents driving by a police car and then cops doing a 180 and pulling us over. 2 suburban parents and 4 kids on the way to family picnic or just going home. It happened multiple times.

Fortunately, nothing deadly ever happened and things are definitely better now, but to this day I still get a feeling of panic whenever a see a police car in my rear view mirror.... like I'm guilty of something for no reason. That feeling absolutely sucks. Any of my Caucasian brothers & sisters out there get that same feeling when you see a cop? Or do you feel more protected?

F*ck conversations, just starting doing. It's really quite simple:

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. "
    I'm caucasian and I do feel the same way, more paranoid than protected.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    S.R. wrote: View Post

"The conversation can no longer be avoided because it is hard. We have to have it. Now."
    I'm mixed race from West Indies and have medium-dark skin and I'm really deflated that we still need to have these "conversations" in 2020. I grew up in the 70s & 80s and remember my parents driving by a police car and then cops doing a 180 and pulling us over. 2 suburban parents and 4 kids on the way to family picnic or just going home. It happened multiple times.

Fortunately, nothing deadly ever happened and things are definitely better now, but to this day I still get a feeling of panic whenever a see a police car in my rear view mirror.... like I'm guilty of something for no reason. That feeling absolutely sucks. Any of my Caucasian brothers & sisters out there get that same feeling when you see a cop? Or do you feel more protected?

F*ck conversations, just starting doing. It's really quite simple:

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. "

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    The Great One wrote: View Post
    Masai Ujiri coming to Toronto has got to be one of the best things to ever happen in Canadian sports history. This guy is the most important figure in Raptors franchise history. Jerry Krause has a banner hanging from the rafters at the the UC. Masai deserves to have his own banner one day and a statue outside of ACC.

"The conversation can no longer be avoided because it is hard. We have to have it. Now."

Leave a comment:

• MixxAOR
    replied
    Preach!

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied
    Masai Ujiri coming to Toronto has got to be one of the best things to ever happen in Canadian sports history. This guy is the most important figure in Raptors franchise history. Jerry Krause has a banner hanging from the rafters at the the UC. Masai deserves to have his own banner one day and a statue outside of ACC.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    inthepaint wrote: View Post

I also think that if we had lost to Philly in that second round and had Kawhi bolt right after, we'd be rebuilding right now and musing about what long term assets we could have got for our all-star in Derozan. So I think Masai was great for taking the risk, but also very lucky given the way it all turned out.
    100%
    Sometimes only 20/20 hindsight proves a trade fantastic or disastrous. Personally, I would have done the trade even if Philly had bounced us with Kawhi....because they sure would have with DeMar.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    inthepaint wrote: View Post

All that is true, but also a lot easier to say now, after knowing Kawhi was able to play a full playoff run (albeit with a lot of load management in the regular season), and be the best player on the team that went on to win the title. It seems like eons ago, but at the time of the trade, Kawhi was seen as a disgruntled player with an unknown chronic injury, hadn't played in a year, had some locker room friction with some of his teammates, and would be a rental desperate to go to LA.

So teams weren't necessarily lining up to give a guys like Klay Thompson, Donovan Mitchel, Beal, Tatum, Jokic, Butler or even a Ben Simmons for a player in those circumstances. Matter of fact if the Spurs had put their foot down asking for Siakam in the deal we may have balked as well. So I think the Spurs actually ended up the getting the best package they could get for an injured rental that didn't want to play there or anywhere else other than LA long term.

Of course if teams (including the Spurs) knew then what they know now, then the offers would have been a lot different and we probably wouldn't have got him. I also think that if we had lost to Philly in that second round and had Kawhi bolt right after, we'd be rebuilding right now and musing about what long term assets we could have got for our all-star in Derozan. So I think Masai was great for taking the risk, but also very lucky given the way it all turned out.
    I dunno, if you're asking me (and many others) on the day of the trade, I was suprised we got him that cheap and there wasnt more bidders. Sure there were many unknowns, but I knew he was better than harden, better than Westbrook and them, potentially the best player in the world. It was always a risk worth taking. I was willing to give them OG and another pick too

Leave a comment:

• bertarapsfan
    replied
    I dunno. The spurs could have had ball and Ingram plus maybe hart or kuzma. But pop doesnt do deals with L.A and wanted to keep making the playoffs. Ingram is now probably just as good as demar and has youth and room for improvement. If I'm a spurs fans I definitely am second guessing g the deal

Leave a comment:

• inthepaint
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Today's reminder that even the great Spurs are no match for Masai. The list is long of embarrassed front offices.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/5...-anthony-davis
    All that is true, but also a lot easier to say now, after knowing Kawhi was able to play a full playoff run (albeit with a lot of load management in the regular season), and be the best player on the team that went on to win the title. It seems like eons ago, but at the time of the trade, Kawhi was seen as a disgruntled player with an unknown chronic injury, hadn't played in a year, had some locker room friction with some of his teammates, and would be a rental desperate to go to LA.

So teams weren't necessarily lining up to give a guys like Klay Thompson, Donovan Mitchel, Beal, Tatum, Jokic, Butler or even a Ben Simmons for a player in those circumstances. Matter of fact if the Spurs had put their foot down asking for Siakam in the deal we may have balked as well. So I think the Spurs actually ended up the getting the best package they could get for an injured rental that didn't want to play there or anywhere else other than LA long term.

Of course if teams (including the Spurs) knew then what they know now, then the offers would have been a lot different and we probably wouldn't have got him. I also think that if we had lost to Philly in that second round and had Kawhi bolt right after, we'd be rebuilding right now and musing about what long term assets we could have got for our all-star in Derozan. So I think Masai was great for taking the risk, but also very lucky given the way it all turned out.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    Today's reminder that even the great Spurs are no match for Masai. The list is long of embarrassed front offices.

Kawhi Leonard to the Raptors

The Spurs’ haul: DeMar DeRozan, Jakob Poeltl, a 2019 protected first-round pick (conveyed at no. 29, Keldon Johnson). (The Spurs also gave up Danny Green in the deal.)

The broader takeaway: Focusing on the short term can be devastating.

There are cautionary tales, and then there’s this: a catastrophic blunder made by one of the most accomplished franchises in all of professional sports. It defies logic to this day. Even with all of the extenuating circumstances involved (Kawhi’s injury, Kawhi’s free agency, Kawhi’s reportedly icy relations with the Spurs ...), there isn’t any justification for downgrading this significantly without adjusting course. Teams can more easily work out mutually beneficial deals when their goals are misaligned—say, when one team is looking to contend and the other to rebuild. San Antonio instead chose to chase a lesser version of what it already had, and accepted one of the stranger return packages for a superstar in modern NBA history.

Through great scouting and even better developmental processes, the Spurs found a generational superstar to succeed Tim Duncan. Then, they traded him without getting so much as a single blue-chip prospect in return—Spurs contrarianism pushed well beyond its limit. If this deal teaches us anything, it’s that teams with great, available talent can sometimes behave counterintuitively. Best interests are impressionistic. What seems right for a franchise might not seem right to its star, its coach, its general manager, or its owner. There is a balance of those viewpoints that can be healthy. Miscalculate, however, and a storied franchise can have its worst season in 23 years.
    https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/5...-anthony-davis

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    This gets weirder and weirder lol Masai Ujiri alleges he was assaulted by deputy at NBA Finals

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball...suit-1.5521218

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    Not directly about Masai, but related to the growth of basketball in Africa, a good article from SI about the exploitation of young African prospects who are looking to live their dream.

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/03/27/nb...rs-trafficking

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    G__Deane wrote: View Post

I'd give Masai the unlimited power to spend before any in our current government
    At least he has demonstrated incredible competence in a significant position. Have many federal or provincial leaders done the same? None come to mind.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    Puffer wrote: View Post
    If this pandemic thing starts looking like it isn't being brought to a significant close, we're going to have to put Masai in charge of the Canadian effort. He's not a virus expert, but he IS a systems guy and pattern recognition expert with excellent management skills. He's not afraid to make big trades and is attracted to talent. This may mean that some of the country's top players will be moved, just to open up some flexibility. But sometimes, that's what has to be done.
    I'd give Masai the unlimited power to spend before any in our current government

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    If this pandemic thing starts looking like it isn't being brought to a significant close, we're going to have to put Masai in charge of the Canadian effort. He's not a virus expert, but he IS a systems guy and pattern recognition expert with excellent management skills. He's not afraid to make big trades and is attracted to talent. This may mean that some of the country's top players will be moved, just to open up some flexibility. But sometimes, that's what has to be done.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X