Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Masai Ujiri

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • So it looks like Obama has become a strategic partner and minority owner in the BAL (NBA Africa). With this being Masai's passion, could we be loosing him to focusing on this full-time.

    I'm not worried about him leaving another team, but losing him to oversee and grow another league...it almost sounds like his calling.

    Comment


    • saints91 wrote: View Post
      So it looks like Obama has become a strategic partner and minority owner in the BAL (NBA Africa). With this being Masai's passion, could we be loosing him to focusing on this full-time.

      I'm not worried about him leaving another team, but losing him to oversee and grow another league...it almost sounds like his calling.
      If MLSE is smart part of their offer to Masai is supporting his overseas endeavours in any way they can. It has worked out pretty well so far, and I believe Masai can do more for basketball in Africa while being the president of an NBA tean

      Comment


      • Fuchan wrote: View Post

        If MLSE is smart part of their offer to Masai is supporting his overseas endeavours in any way they can. It has worked out pretty well so far, and I believe Masai can do more for basketball in Africa while being the president of an NBA tean
        That's likely the hold up. Masai probably wants MLSE to make a non-trivial investment in BAL or another one of his causes, on his behalf.

        Comment


        • I think he signed already

          Comment


          • grindhouse wrote: View Post
            I think he signed already
            What makes you think that?

            Comment


            • Fuchan wrote: View Post

              What makes you think that?
              they did the same thing with bobby where he had been signed for a while and then waited for the right time to announce.. same thing with nurse too

              Comment


              • Fuchan wrote: View Post

                If MLSE is smart part of their offer to Masai is supporting his overseas endeavours in any way they can. It has worked out pretty well so far, and I believe Masai can do more for basketball in Africa while being the president of an NBA tean
                I think this has always been the play on both ends. They always have supported him with basketball without borders

                Comment


                • TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

                  they did the same thing with bobby where he had been signed for a while and then waited for the right time to announce.. same thing with nurse too
                  I hope that's the case. The longer it goes on without an announcement the more I feel it's a lock for him to stay. If he was leaving for another franchise he would have wanted to be there calling the shots by now going into the draft. It will certainly be cause for celebration when we find out we are officially continuing the Masai era

                  Comment


                  • Fuchan wrote: View Post

                    I hope that's the case. The longer it goes on without an announcement the more I feel it's a lock for him to stay. If he was leaving for another franchise he would have wanted to be there calling the shots by now going into the draft. It will certainly be cause for celebration when we find out we are officially continuing the Masai era
                    I have it at a very firm 0% chance Masai leaves us for another team this season. Not only is the draft tomorrow, free agency starts on Monday. He's not gonna let some other guy botch all those important decisions and come in after the fact. Masai and Bobby are working overtime right now for the draft, and Bobby said right after the draft on that night they'll go immediately into planning for free agency. Masai is busy as hell with Raptors business because he isn't going anywhere.

                    Comment


                    • I don’t think we will lose Masai to another NBA team, but I think there is a chance we lose him to another opportunity.

                      the longer this goes on the more I feel like he is helping us through this offseason, then moving on. Just making the transition easier. I hope I’m wrong, but this is dragging on to long to be good.

                      Comment


                      • Primer wrote: View Post

                        I have it at a very firm 0% chance Masai leaves us for another team this season. Not only is the draft tomorrow, free agency starts on Monday. He's not gonna let some other guy botch all those important decisions and come in after the fact. Masai and Bobby are working overtime right now for the draft, and Bobby said right after the draft on that night they'll go immediately into planning for free agency. Masai is busy as hell with Raptors business because he isn't going anywhere.
                        What if Masai NOT leaves for another team but to....NBA Africa Basketball?? Obama is there now...

                        Comment


                        • Eric Montross 00 wrote: View Post

                          What if Masai NOT leaves for another team but to....NBA Africa Basketball?? Obama is there now...
                          I mean, Obama isn't there, he invested some money. Not like he moved to Africa. Masai has always been heavily involved in NBA Africa as well as other Africa basketball programs and I don't expect that to change, I'd expect MLSE to start putting some more money behind it to keep Masai happy. I'm fairly certain Masai is still the director of Basketball Without Borders Africa program. There's a reason we have the inside track on guys like Siakam who went through the African basketball programs. I think Masai passed off a lot of responsibilities to Weltman and then Bobby Webster so he could focus more on the Africa stuff, but ultimately he can make a much larger difference there by still being the President of an NBA team and wielding the resources and money available to him as an NBA President.

                          Comment


                          • I keep repeating this on these boards and I'll say it again: Masai is first and foremost an athlete, competitor, sports guy. Journeyman semi pro player turned youth coach turned volunteer scout turned GM turned President. He LOVES being involved in the playing of the game. Then he is a philanthropist, businessman, political figure etc second. Running basketball Africa sounds important, but it can't replace the competitive juices of running an NBA team, if basketball competition is your first love. Most of these GMs have their dream job already, they don't want Adam Silvers job.
                            Last edited by KeonClark; Thu Jul 29, 2021, 05:34 PM.
                            It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                            Comment


                            • Eric Montross 00 wrote: View Post

                              What if Masai NOT leaves for another team but to....NBA Africa Basketball?? Obama is there now...
                              This makes no sense. NBA Africa is a tiny platform in relation to running any NBA team. It's basically a startup. If Masai leaves the Raptors, it's for a bigger platform, either within the NBA or outside of it. That's why Masai playing footsie with the Knicks actually made a lot of sense. Wizards... meh, but it's still in Washington so who knows?

                              Comment


                              • He stay tonight

                                https://www.instagram.com/p/CR7dYdIM...dium=copy_link
                                Last edited by Jclaw; Thu Jul 29, 2021, 08:00 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X