Everything Masai Ujiri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.I wrote: View Post
    Vice Chairman means he is only second to Larry Tanenbaum no? Vice Chairman of MLSE and President of the Raptors, that is a big promotion. He deserves it with everything he has done for the Raptors and Toronto. Nothing but respect.
    Wow. I think I read the title the same way you do: he sits on the board of MLSE, who are the ones who approve (or not) the massive money decisions. No operational duties (*other than the President role). Just at the table for the big decisions. And presumably some equity to boot. Brilliant negotiating by him.

And it explains the delay: MLSE wouldn't have wanted to give this up easily. It's one thing for the board to hire a President to run the Raptors, reporting to the board. It's another thing to make that President the vice chair of the board itself!!!

Comment

• Looking closer at this, the MLSE board is: Larry, 3 Bell people, 3 Rogers people, their lawyer ... and now Masai. That's a hell of a lot more influence than the Leafs have, for instance. I cannot stress enough how impressive this is.

Comment

• Kuh wrote: View Post
        Looking closer at this, the MLSE board is: Larry, 3 Bell people, 3 Rogers people, their lawyer ... and now Masai. That's a hell of a lot more influence than the Leafs have, for instance. I cannot stress enough how impressive this is.
        Larry was the only one that cared about winning and don't get me started on Bell & Roger or that awful teachers pension fund in the past.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

Larry was the only one that cared about winning and don't get me started on Bell & Roger or that awful teachers pension fund in the past.
          Them giving Masai this deal shows they care about winning. They could have easily gone the cheap option and hired someone else and kept their power to themselves.

Comment

Them giving Masai this deal shows they care about winning. They could have easily gone the cheap option and hired someone else and kept their power to themselves.
            It aint only about winning.

Its an image thing and right now Masai is gold.

Comment

They're smart enough to see the dollar signs masai has brought in. Raptors in the last 2 or 3 years are more culturally relevant than ever before, I'd say they passed the blue Jays in relevancy and far surpassed the Vince Carter "glory days".

You can't let a mediocre GM run this team, it's too hard, nobody signs here, and the stars leave. Masai is the only guy who convinced stars to stay because of the winning but still nobody wants to come from outside.
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

They're smart enough to see the dollar signs masai has brought in. Raptors in the last 2 or 3 years are more culturally relevant than ever before, I'd say they passed the blue Jays in relevancy and far surpassed the Vince Carter "glory days".

You can't let a mediocre GM run this team, it's too hard, nobody signs here, and the stars leave. Masai is the only guy who convinced stars to stay because of the winning but still nobody wants to come from outside.
                Its always about money, but winning brings in more money, I think winning a championship and the millions of people at the parade made MLSE realize that.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

It aint only about winning.

Its an image thing and right now Masai is gold.
                  Yeah, Masai helps provide a halo effect for all involved. The positive for us is he's all about winning another championship and should be able to hold MLSE's feet to the fire. I've come to recognize that a lot of sports teams don't actually prioritize winning championships, and we're lucky that the raps do.

Comment

• Letssss fucking go!!!!
                    Biggest F.A signing in raptors history
                    To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• Great Promotion, well deserved !

Vice Chairman is a huge deal

Comment

• All I want to know is will Masai be able to influence cable providers so we can watch every Raptor game without having to subscribe to multiple packages? If he wants to grow the Raptors brand he's gotta make access to the games easier. Competing with Curling for airtime is bullshit.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                          All I want to know is will Masai be able to influence cable providers so we can watch every Raptor game without having to subscribe to multiple packages? If he wants to grow the Raptors brand he's gotta make access to the games easier. Competing with Curling for airtime is bullshit.
                          Agreed, this is very frustrating. Or at least a Canadian league pass with better picture quality that has all games including the playoffs. It's 2021, I'd love to see an all 4k season streaming, I'd pay extra for that.

Glad he resigned, really would have benefitted the team if he had done this a couple of weeks ago.
                          So for all the "I'm all about Toronto" there must have been some consideration of elsewhere.

Comment

• Dvdvideo wrote: View Post

Agreed, this is very frustrating. Or at least a Canadian league pass with better picture quality that has all games including the playoffs. It's 2021, I'd love to see an all 4k season streaming, I'd pay extra for that.

Glad he resigned, really would have benefitted the team if he had done this a couple of weeks ago.
                            So for all the "I'm all about Toronto" there must have been some consideration of elsewhere.
                            I'm guessing that the delay in signing was that Vice Chair of the Board title - both getting it agreed, and then getting Bell and Rogers management (or boards?) to sign off on it as they would have needed to.

And now that Masai is on the board, he will be sitting with Bell and Rogers every month or so, and can bring up exactly that topic, about how they need to monetize their property and properly make money off of showing Raptors over curling. Without the Vice Chair title, he is reporting to them, not talking with them as colleagues.

Comment

• big boi wrote: View Post

Yeah, Masai helps provide a halo effect for all involved. The positive for us is he's all about winning another championship and should be able to hold MLSE's feet to the fire. I've come to recognize that a lot of sports teams don't actually prioritize winning championships, and we're lucky that the raps do.
                              Youd be surprised that most teams would really love to win a championship, they just really suck at it. In a league of 30 front offices, if you're not in the top 12 or 15 best and brightest, you're gonna look incompetent, when really you just werent as good as the next guy at decision making. That's how you end up with Charlotte's and Sacramentos perennially drafting absolute duds in the first round while golden state and Toronto make away with the latest good rotation piece with the 27th pick
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Youd be surprised that most teams would really love to win a championship, they just really suck at it. In a league of 30 front offices, if you're not in the top 12 or 15 best and brightest, you're gonna look incompetent, when really you just werent as good as the next guy at decision making. That's how you end up with Charlotte's and Sacramentos perennially drafting absolute duds in the first round while golden state and Toronto make away with the latest good rotation piece with the 27th pick
                                "Why not just be the best organization in your field?" we underrate how hard that is and how easy it is to have mediocrity at any level - even when lots of dollars are involved. I mean it's all relative in a field like this, you can have a bunch of brilliant basketball people but a dozen orgs are even better so you suck now, congratulations and enjoy the memes.

Like Zach Lowe is a bright guy and he thinks Sacramento's owner is a really bright guy and keeps waiting for the breakthrough but Sacramento still sucks, here we are. 20-ish organizations are just better at this than you are.
                                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Working...
                                X