X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden
    replied
    nba_4_life wrote: View Post

If players can be paid 20,30,40 million... then so can the best GM in the sport
    Considering that the average NBA franchise is currently worth $2.14 B and they’re talking about the next TV deal in 2025 to be ~ double the last deal, then $20m for a guy who creates as much enterprise value as Masai is literally peanuts in the grand scheme.

Leave a comment:

• Rudy Bargnani
    replied
    Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
    So...do you think Masai would run for political office in Canada? Election year, he's taking photos with our troops in Kuwait. Cozying up to JT. Obv I think he's too good for politics but I don't know what's up with this trip.
    By the way was I the only one who saw that clip and thought "Wait, we have Canadian troops in Kuwait still?" Bruh I honestly had no idea.

Leave a comment:

• Rudy Bargnani
    replied
    So...do you think Masai would run for political office in Canada? Election year, he's taking photos with our troops in Kuwait. Cozying up to JT. Obv I think he's too good for politics but I don't know what's up with this trip.
    Last edited by Rudy Bargnani; Wed Feb 12th, 2020, 09:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    Masai is also an official Canadian. He's one of us

There's making a commitment to a fan base, and then there's MAKING A COMMITMENT!

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    Zak24gege wrote: View Post
    It would be wise for the Raptors ownership to make sure Masai is content. The only question I would have at this point is the same one Grange posed in a recent piece. How much longer does Masai want to continue with the basketball gig. He's an ambitious guy with interests in areas beyond sports. Fortunately, his salary and position allows him the means to play a leadership role in some of these areas. Hard to match $'s in the public domain.
    Yeah, selfishly I'd like him to stay with the Raptors, but it's almost like Masai really should be doing something bigger than basketball as his full-time gig.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Masai is also an official Canadian. He's one of us

Leave a comment:

• The Claw Reborn
    replied
    Toronto Raptors president Masai Ujiri, speaking in Dakar, Senegal, calls Oakland police officer's civil lawsuit against him "malicious," says incident after championship-winning game is a reason he wants to win another title.
    This guy is not going anywhere, he will stay in Toronto.

the only time he quits the Raps:
    1. Silver steps down and he assume commish.

2. He will not win the chip again after another 5 years of trying

3. MLSE low ball him (total disrespect offer) and Washington DC Wizards blows his mind with a massive check/ a slice of Ownership / GOA funding.

Leave a comment:

• Zak24gege
    replied
    It would be wise for the Raptors ownership to make sure Masai is content. The only question I would have at this point is the same one Grange posed in a recent piece. How much longer does Masai want to continue with the basketball gig. He's an ambitious guy with interests in areas beyond sports. Fortunately, his salary and position allows him the means to play a leadership role in some of these areas. Hard to match $'s in the public domain.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    LJ2 wrote: View Post

There is some luck involved in that as well. If we didn't have a prior connection to Masai, does he leave Denver to take the job in Toronto? If not then his scouting team doesn't come with him either. I agree you need to invest it top tier management, but I imagine the pickings are slim. I mean Otis Smith, Isah Thomas, Billy King, Glen Grunwald (amongst others) were the top executives running NBA teams for how long? Grunwald is the CEO of Canada basketball from crying out loud. There aren't a tremendous number of quality choices out there which is baffling.
    This is true in every field. There aren't a lot of good, let alone great, leaders out there that command respect and loyalty and can deliver. For the most part, these guys are interchangeable (see your list above), so, if you find one of the good ones you pay him.

Leave a comment:

• LJ2
    replied
    Puffer wrote: View Post

This is a key to Raptors success. The money spent on staff is peanuts compared to the money spent on players. Accumulate the best staff and facilities possible, and you maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of your players. You wind up getting better draft picks, free agent acquisitions and undrafted signings. Then you turn those players into better players. Boost intangibles like culture and team identity. Then kick ass.
    There is some luck involved in that as well. If we didn't have a prior connection to Masai, does he leave Denver to take the job in Toronto? If not then his scouting team doesn't come with him either. I agree you need to invest it top tier management, but I imagine the pickings are slim. I mean Otis Smith, Isah Thomas, Billy King, Glen Grunwald (amongst others) were the top executives running NBA teams for how long? Grunwald is the CEO of Canada basketball from crying out loud. There aren't a tremendous number of quality choices out there which is baffling.

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    Truth Teller wrote: View Post

Completely different.

Front office salaries don’t affect the cap do they?

If not then I don’t care how much MLSE pays. Not my money and won’t affect the team moving forward.
    This is a key to Raptors success. The money spent on staff is peanuts compared to the money spent on players. Accumulate the best staff and facilities possible, and you maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of your players. You wind up getting better draft picks, free agent acquisitions and undrafted signings. Then you turn those players into better players. Boost intangibles like culture and team identity. Then kick ass.

Leave a comment:

• Truth Teller
    replied
    G__Deane wrote: View Post
    Just me, but similar to players, I wouldn't give an Executive a 10 year deal. The highs and lows are too tenuous is pro sports
    Completely different.

Front office salaries don’t affect the cap do they?

If not then I don’t care how much MLSE pays. Not my money and won’t affect the team moving forward.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    nba_4_life wrote: View Post

Bobby Webster is GM ....but....yah

Leave a comment:

• nba_4_life
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    $10M is too low. Pat Riley made $11M a year in 2016 from this article here:
    https://moneyinc.com/highest-paid-gms-in-the-nba/

MLSE needs to start the negotiations at $15M and look to get that into the $20M's if they have to. Masai should be the highest paid GM/President in the league, no question.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    $10M is too low. Pat Riley made $11M a year in 2016 from this article here:
    https://moneyinc.com/highest-paid-gms-in-the-nba/

MLSE needs to start the negotiations at $15M and look to get that into the $20M's if they have to. Masai should be the highest paid GM/President in the league, no question.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X