• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grindhouse wrote: View Post

Sell your own equipment and rent the infrastructure
    he gave it up

Comment

• Look at Masai Ujiri's free agent signings as the GM/Prez of the team. This is pretty pathetic actually.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...jirima99x.html

I'm not going to list them all obviously but here are some notable names:

Hansbrough
      Augustin
      James Johnson
      Bebe
      Carroll
      Joseph
      Biyombo
      Scola
      Bennett
      Sullinger
      Miller
      McKinnie
      Miles
      Monroe
      Boucher
      McCaw
      Lin
      Meeks
      Moreland
      Stanley
      RHJ
      Thomas
      Baynes
      Bembry
      Len
      Svi
      Watanabe

Biyombo and Boucher(I guess?) are the only ones that worked out. Hansbrough had his moments. The rest are all scrubs.

The reason this team is so bad is because they don't have a bench. They don't have a scorer off the bench and they don't have a backup PG.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
        Look at Masai Ujiri's free agent signings as the GM/Prez of the team. This is pretty pathetic actually.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...jirima99x.html

I'm not going to list them all obviously but here are some notable names:

Hansbrough
        Augustin
        James Johnson
        Bebe
        Carroll
        Joseph
        Biyombo
        Scola
        Bennett
        Sullinger
        Miller
        McKinnie
        Miles
        Monroe
        Boucher
        McCaw
        Lin
        Meeks
        Moreland
        Stanley
        RHJ
        Thomas
        Baynes
        Bembry
        Len
        Svi
        Watanabe

Biyombo and Boucher(I guess?) are the only ones that worked out. Hansbrough had his moments. The rest are all scrubs.

The reason this team is so bad is because they don't have a bench. They don't have a scorer off the bench and they don't have a backup PG.
        When it comes to free agents, teams/front offices don't actually have much control at the end of the day. It's really up to the players. It's designed that way, you go through a period of contracts after getting drafted, then you're free to go. If PJ Tucker chooses to take less money to go to Houston to do worse there (while the Raptors win a title), that's on PJ Tucker, not Masai.

The only thing FO's can actually control is draft, trade, and setting up the right culture/environment within the org. I think he's done very well on those, aside from a miss here and there. If I were to name a gripe, I would say passing on better players on draft night (like passing on Desmond bane to draft Flynn for example), but then again every team does that almost every draft, no one has a crystal ball no matter how good the scouting is.

Control draft and trade as best you can, free agency is really up to the players. Prime example is Kawhi: Masai offered the maximum money with choice of term, had the team win a title with him as final MVP, had an elite medical staff to manage/load manage his pre-existing injury beautifully, even had his kid be friends with Kawhi's kid, and the guy still left to go home. What else can you do? Just gotta control what you can control.
        2019 NBA Champions. Glad to have doubted the doubters.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

When it comes to free agents, teams/front offices don't actually have much control at the end of the day. It's really up to the players. It's designed that way, you go through a period of contracts after getting drafted, then you're free to go. If PJ Tucker chooses to take less money to go to Houston to do worse there (while the Raptors win a title), that's on PJ Tucker, not Masai.

The only thing FO's can actually control is draft, trade, and setting up the right culture/environment within the org. I think he's done very well on those, aside from a miss here and there. If I were to name a gripe, I would say passing on better players on draft night (like passing on Desmond bane to draft Flynn for example), but then again every team does that almost every draft, no one has a crystal ball no matter how good the scouting is.

Control draft and trade as best you can, free agency is really up to the players. Prime example is Kawhi: Masai offered the maximum money with choice of term, had the team win a title with him as final MVP, had an elite medical staff to manage/load manage his pre-existing injury beautifully, even had his kid be friends with Kawhi's kid, and the guy still left to go home. What else can you do? Just gotta control what you can control.
          There's a reason those free agents chose to go where they want to go.
          Pat Riley has always been a big factor, same with Jerry West.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

What has Pat Riley and Jerry West done as executives that Masai hasn't? Kawhi went to the clips because he wanted to go to LA, not because of jerry west.

Players look at 5 things in free agency;
            --money
            --term
            --winning
            --development minutes and playing time/role (if at the beginning of career)
            --situation/non-basket ball factors (like Kawhi wanting to be home for example)

Executives are mostly just the guys their agents will negotiate their deals with.
            Last edited by inthepaint; Sat Jan 15, 2022, 04:39 PM.

Comment

What has Pat Riley and Jerry West done as executives that Masai hasn't? Kawhi went to the clips because he wanted to go to LA, not because of jerry west.
              Attract big name free agents.
              Which big name free agent has Masai signed?

Comment

What big name did Toronto attract?
                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

sure of course they are ... but are we really going to ignore south beach weather?

I mean Toronto is super great 3 ish seasons of the year. Or at the very least late spring to late fall. The sport of basketball primarily happens fall and winter for the bulk of the season. When it's -17 outside and the city isn't the same since the beginning of the pandemic (regardless of how you feel) Florida will trump all.

Then there is cali. I am not a big fan but there is a ton of people who like so cal because of the weather and connection to other high profile celebs.

Sure the staff factors in but you have either florida with warm weather and low taxes vs toronto.

Cali vs Florida is a better comparison. Cali has expensive taxes but way more opportunities to get into different things after basketball by comparison. You can elevate your brand there.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

What big name did Toronto attract?
                    Demarreeeeee

Comment

The attraction wasn't the executive in of itself, it was the market. If Masai is in La or Miami, there are free agents falling on his lap too, you can bet

Comment

The attraction wasn't the executive in of itself, it was the market. If Masai is in La or Miami, there are free agents falling on his lap too, you can bet
                        Toronto is a nice market too.

idk about you, but if I'm someone that wants to win I'd choose an exec that has solid background.
                        I don't think these free agents think highly of Masai. Some of them even put an asterisk next to our lone championship.
                        Last edited by Kagemusha; Sat Jan 15, 2022, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Toronto is a nice market too.

idk about you, but if I'm someone that wants to win I'd choose an exec that has solid background.
                          I don't think these free agents think highly of Masai. Some of them even put an asterisk next to our lone championship.
                          idk about you but if I'm a player the exec the last thing I look at in free agency. I'll look at the contract (money and term), minutes, current winning potential, coach, teammates, exposure in the market, overall quality of life in the city, my family desires, their development program, medical staff etc... There's literally a dozen things more important than the exec itself. The exec is just the guy my agent is going to negotiate the deal with.

Comment

idk about you but if I'm a player the exec the last thing I look at in free agency. I'll look at the contract (money and term), minutes, current winning potential, coach, teammates, exposure in the market, overall quality of life in the city, my family desires, their development program, medical staff etc... There's literally a dozen things more important than the exec itself. The exec is just the guy my agent is going to negotiate the deal with.
                            Lol.
                            You do realize that it's the exec that makes many of those things happen.

Comment

Lol.
                              You do realize that it's the exec that makes many of those things happen.
                              Can Masai turn up the heat in the city? it's -20
                              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Can Masai turn up the heat in the city? it's -20
                                I mean according to climate change scientists by 2035 Toronto is going to become a Mediterranean climate region.

Comment

Working...
                                X