X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer
    replied
    Fuchan wrote: View Post

I hope that's the case. The longer it goes on without an announcement the more I feel it's a lock for him to stay. If he was leaving for another franchise he would have wanted to be there calling the shots by now going into the draft. It will certainly be cause for celebration when we find out we are officially continuing the Masai era
    I have it at a very firm 0% chance Masai leaves us for another team this season. Not only is the draft tomorrow, free agency starts on Monday. He's not gonna let some other guy botch all those important decisions and come in after the fact. Masai and Bobby are working overtime right now for the draft, and Bobby said right after the draft on that night they'll go immediately into planning for free agency. Masai is busy as hell with Raptors business because he isn't going anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• Fuchan
    replied
    TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

they did the same thing with bobby where he had been signed for a while and then waited for the right time to announce.. same thing with nurse too
    I hope that's the case. The longer it goes on without an announcement the more I feel it's a lock for him to stay. If he was leaving for another franchise he would have wanted to be there calling the shots by now going into the draft. It will certainly be cause for celebration when we find out we are officially continuing the Masai era

Leave a comment:

• TrueTorontoFan
    replied

If MLSE is smart part of their offer to Masai is supporting his overseas endeavours in any way they can. It has worked out pretty well so far, and I believe Masai can do more for basketball in Africa while being the president of an NBA tean
    I think this has always been the play on both ends. They always have supported him with basketball without borders

Leave a comment:

• TrueTorontoFan
    replied

What makes you think that?
    they did the same thing with bobby where he had been signed for a while and then waited for the right time to announce.. same thing with nurse too

Leave a comment:

• Fuchan
    replied
    grindhouse wrote: View Post
    I think he signed already
    What makes you think that?

Leave a comment:

• grindhouse
    replied
    I think he signed already

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied

If MLSE is smart part of their offer to Masai is supporting his overseas endeavours in any way they can. It has worked out pretty well so far, and I believe Masai can do more for basketball in Africa while being the president of an NBA tean
    That's likely the hold up. Masai probably wants MLSE to make a non-trivial investment in BAL or another one of his causes, on his behalf.

Leave a comment:

• Fuchan
    replied
    saints91 wrote: View Post
    So it looks like Obama has become a strategic partner and minority owner in the BAL (NBA Africa). With this being Masai's passion, could we be loosing him to focusing on this full-time.

I'm not worried about him leaving another team, but losing him to oversee and grow another league...it almost sounds like his calling.

Leave a comment:

• saints91
    replied
    So it looks like Obama has become a strategic partner and minority owner in the BAL (NBA Africa). With this being Masai's passion, could we be loosing him to focusing on this full-time.

I'm not worried about him leaving another team, but losing him to oversee and grow another league...it almost sounds like his calling.

Leave a comment:

• Fuchan
    replied
    Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
    Masai Ujiru hasn't signed yet and draft, free agency is upon us, honestly wtf..If I'm free agent the first thing I ask is why isn't Masai signed and if he staying, bc he is part of selling 2 these free agents, if his not there and I'm free agent, no masai, no thank u. Me thinks, his not coming back, why drag this process, MLSE are giving the keys 2 the kingdom and your disrespecting them and the fans, make a decision. I don't get..
    I believe I read somewhere due to the messed up season (Covid and whatnot), executive contracts extended until the last day of July. If we roll into August with no announcement I will start to worry a bit, but if he was leaving I feel we would have heard something right now. It's just been business as usual, which leads to to believe it's just a matter of ironing out the finer details and making sure MLSE commits to enough of Masai's wants and needs before they announce his new deal

Leave a comment:

• Dr Hannibal Lecter
    replied
    Masai Ujiru hasn't signed yet and draft, free agency is upon us, honestly wtf..If I'm free agent the first thing I ask is why isn't Masai signed and if he staying, bc he is part of selling 2 these free agents, if his not there and I'm free agent, no masai, no thank u. Me thinks, his not coming back, why drag this process, MLSE are giving the keys 2 the kingdom and your disrespecting them and the fans, make a decision. I don't get..

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    It's a Grange article so always have to take anything he says with a grain of salt. But yeah this is what I figured all along. Masai is just trying to get every t crossed and i dotted, before he signs.. and he's not giving an inch... nor should he.

Hopefully MLSE just gives him what he wants. He deserves it.

Favourite quote of the piece:

“He was acting like the president of the Raptors at the combine and on a mission to win another title,” said another.

Leave a comment:

• Jclaw
    replied
    FWIW

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nba/article...-sign-raptors/

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Happy Birthday boss man!

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post

Yeah.. there are two positive signs for me anyway.

1. He got all his guys extended. If he was going somewhere else, he'd take his team with him.. not give them all new contracts.
    2. He's here working on the draft. Was scene recently at the combine watching Kuminga work out. If he was leaving, why help the Raptors with their draft pick?

My theory is that he's verbally committed to coming back, and they are just working on the fine print stuff before he signs on the dotted line. But I'd be pretty shocked if he actually left the team.
    #1 isn't that big of deal. If he was running the team and not giving people contracts in order to move them with him that would be a serious ethical breach and likely a contractual one as well. That's the kind of think that gets you in serious trouble.

#2 is the bigger issue. If he was leaving, especially for another job, I doubt the organization would want him around with his access.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X