Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great One
    replied
    And I know some here will bring up Kareem's stats again. And this will be the last that I'm going to talk about this. He won 5 championships in LA, all of them as Magic's sidekick. These are just facts. "Showtime Lakers" was Magic's team. They called it Showtime because of Magic lol.

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied
    It's an idiotic argument. Just like MJ, Wayne Gretzky never speaks on social issues. Ever. Evander Kane on the other hand is pretty active about this situation that is going on right now. Is Kane now the NHL GOAT? some people here seriously need to use their brain man.

Roberto Clemente is a legend, great humanitarian just like Kareem. MLB even named an award for him. Great baseball player but GOAT? better than Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb? Willie Mays? Ted Williams? Mickey Mantle? no.

Is Jaylen Brown in the GOAT debate now too? Brown > MJ?

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    S.R. wrote: View Post

He's got a video and a statement up on his Twitter account - http://twitter.com/Jumpman23

Politics & social engagement have never been in his wheelhouse, he won basketball games and sold shoes and Gatorade.

Players are different. This is a general statement and not directed at you golden, but I get uncomfortable with the shift to an expectation for everybody to make statements and to make certain kinds of statements. The social pressure means you can trust anybody's authenticity after that point. Who's saying what they mean and who's had PR help to avoid brand damage? You can't know anymore once you demand everybody say something. Even Fox News is releasing statements at this point.
    With great power comes great responsibility. Sorry MJ... that's the deal.

The world has just finished fellating MJ for the past month or so. After decades of doing already doing that. The least MJ could do is take even a lukewarm stand and call out the cops. You know, like offend somebody who deserves to be offended. Show that you really care. Like, just for once, MJ. The world has given you love and billions. It's the least you can do.

I do get what you're saying.... MJ is just being authentic, as always with boilerplate platitudes. And that authenticity continues to reveal his true character.... which looks a lot like shallowness, greed and petty ego.

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post
    Kareem is still the GOAT and it ain't even close. Has MJ even said anything yet?

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...ed-to-the-edge
    When we're talkin about "GOAT" we're talkin about "basketball" GOAT right? just checkin.

If you're talkin about SPORTS HUMANITARIAN GOAT - and I think that's what you're talking about here then it's Muhammad Ali.

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    Kareem is still the GOAT and it ain't even close. Has MJ even said anything yet?

He's got a video and a statement up on his Twitter account - http://twitter.com/Jumpman23

Politics & social engagement have never been in his wheelhouse, he won basketball games and sold shoes and Gatorade.

Players are different. This is a general statement and not directed at you golden, but I get uncomfortable with the shift to an expectation for everybody to make statements and to make certain kinds of statements. The social pressure means you can trust anybody's authenticity after that point. Who's saying what they mean and who's had PR help to avoid brand damage? You can't know anymore once you demand everybody say something. Even Fox News is releasing statements at this point.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    "Murderous cops buy sneakers too"

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Masai was also interviewed by CTV News:
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/time-f...ests-1.4964715

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied

Greg Oden in high school looked like a 20 yr NBA vet.

KeonClark wrote: View Post

To be fair, lebron DID look 35 and 250 lbs in 12th grade

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    S.R. wrote: View Post

There are some interesting psychology studies of how people respond to persons of various ethnicities. One of the details I remember is a study where whites consistently overestimate the age and size of black males. It's consistent and measurable, so people speculate a 160 lbs 16 year old kid is a 200 lbs 20 year old. Stuff like that.
    ​​​​​
    To be fair, lebron DID look 35 and 250 lbs in 12th grade

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    Puffer wrote: View Post

I am absolutely certain that I have never in my life had anything remotely like the feeling that people of colour have had to feel on a regular basis. I don't understand what goes on in a police officers head when they see a person of colour. I'm not judging, I just can't comprehend what it is. They do searches and take downs of skinheads, bikers, drug operations and domestic beating calls, and it seems like white people don't wind up getting shot. I find it hard to believe that any police officer gets up in the morning and looks for an opportunity to shoot down a person of colour, but it keeps happening. Calling police racist doesn't explain what is going on. Prejudice doesn't explain whatis goin on. I wish I could look into a shooter cops head. There is something broken in there. Until we can determine exactly what it is, and stop hiring cops that are broken that way, this shit will keep happening. All the sensitivity training in the world isn't going to change it. They need a better filter.
    There are some interesting psychology studies of how people respond to persons of various ethnicities. One of the details I remember is a study where whites consistently overestimate the age and size of black males. It's consistent and measurable, so people speculate a 160 lbs 16 year old kid is a 200 lbs 20 year old. Stuff like that.
    ​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied

Just knowing you from your posts, Keon, I get the feeling that you probably should be pulled over and searched. j/k.

I will say this: I don't know why everybody has been so anxious to shut down all the political talk here on RR. It's probably one of the best discussion boards going right now. Yeah sure, there are a few offensive words and subjects that get tossed out there from time-to-time, but it's well worth the lack of censorship to push the boundaries and get informed from different viewpoints.

This group is generally respectful and self-moderating for the most part, which is next to impossible to find on the internet, and that's all we need to do in real life.
    I think this generally is a very respectful forum in the overall scheme of things, especially now that the only source of conversations revolve around non-sports.

Regarding the deleted pages experienced here, I can almost guarantee some posters complained about the recent strange "communist" talk (I believe that poster was banned?) and wouldn't be surprised if someone else complained about Goldblum's and my differing opinions on the looting/rioting/demonstrating where at least one person sees everything in the world as racist these days.

I see other forums where the language (everything was f-bomb all the time around here awhile ago too) and personal attacks are brutal. But you have to imagine that out of every 100 posters, 10 are just teens or losers who like nothing better then to flame everything for the sport.

We have it pretty good here, all things considered but sports can't come back soon enough to level things out.

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    ... Any of my Caucasian brothers & sisters out there get that same feeling when you see a cop? Or do you feel more protected?

F*ck conversations, just starting doing. It's really quite simple:

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. "
    I am absolutely certain that I have never in my life had anything remotely like the feeling that people of colour have had to feel on a regular basis. I don't understand what goes on in a police officers head when they see a person of colour. I'm not judging, I just can't comprehend what it is. They do searches and take downs of skinheads, bikers, drug operations and domestic beating calls, and it seems like white people don't wind up getting shot. I find it hard to believe that any police officer gets up in the morning and looks for an opportunity to shoot down a person of colour, but it keeps happening. Calling police racist doesn't explain what is going on. Prejudice doesn't explain whatis goin on. I wish I could look into a shooter cops head. There is something broken in there. Until we can determine exactly what it is, and stop hiring cops that are broken that way, this shit will keep happening. All the sensitivity training in the world isn't going to change it. They need a better filter.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post

I'm old enough to remember Obama wanting to have difficult conversations...…

Wouldn't a more effective line be "we need to stop talking and start implement difficult solutions to the problems and here are my specific suggestions"?
    +1000000 likes
    Last edited by golden; Mon Jun 1st, 2020, 03:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post

I'm old enough to remember Obama wanting to have difficult conversations...…

Wouldn't a more effective line be "we need to stop talking and start implement difficult solutions to the problems and here are my specific suggestions"?
    It starts and ends with better police training and internal discipline. A subdued man in cuffs got 10 minutes of a knee to the neck while he begs for mercy. By the sounds of things, this cop should have been fired, and perhaps arrested, long before he met floyd. The old boys club protecting each other gives cops in America entirely too much leeway to abuse. You can execute your Job safely and protect yourself without suffocating a harmless person to death. There's no overlap or grey area here.

There's no room for a single bad apple in policing. The bad apple spoils the bunch.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X