Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffer
    replied
    If this pandemic thing starts looking like it isn't being brought to a significant close, we're going to have to put Masai in charge of the Canadian effort. He's not a virus expert, but he IS a systems guy and pattern recognition expert with excellent management skills. He's not afraid to make big trades and is attracted to talent. This may mean that some of the country's top players will be moved, just to open up some flexibility. But sometimes, that's what has to be done.

Leave a comment:

• GOLDBLUM
    replied
    Jclaw wrote: View Post
    Wasn't sure which thread to post in but this might be the one. I was listening to an old podcast (Malcolm Gladwell) where he was talking about Wilt Chamberlain. It's about 4 years old so maybe the story has already been told. While the broad concept was about Wilt, the bulk of it was "why do some good ideas go unused". It talked about the fact that during Wilt's 100 pf game, he went 28 for 32 on free throws. For his career he shot 51% on free throws. But, for that game, he shot free throws underhand. Rick Barry was also interviewed (shot all his free throws underhand). The overall statement is that shooting underhand is the more efficient way to shoot but players are embarrassed to do this. The podcast then went on to talk about there often needs to be a critical mass of people doing something for someone else to consider doing it. Teams are always looking to exploit market inefficiencies. What if Masai or Nick just said "if you're a Raptor, you shoot your free throws underhanded". Here's looking at you Pascal in the final minutes of game 3 against the Bucks. Could this every happen? We've been known to be janky before
    That’d be awesome.
    Raptors repeat as Champs with the underhanded tactic of underhanded free-throws.

The jankiest Back to Back of all.

Hope you’re reading this, Nick.

Leave a comment:

• Jclaw
    replied
    Wasn't sure which thread to post in but this might be the one. I was listening to an old podcast (Malcolm Gladwell) where he was talking about Wilt Chamberlain. It's about 4 years old so maybe the story has already been told. While the broad concept was about Wilt, the bulk of it was "why do some good ideas go unused". It talked about the fact that during Wilt's 100 pf game, he went 28 for 32 on free throws. For his career he shot 51% on free throws. But, for that game, he shot free throws underhand. Rick Barry was also interviewed (shot all his free throws underhand). The overall statement is that shooting underhand is the more efficient way to shoot but players are embarrassed to do this. The podcast then went on to talk about there often needs to be a critical mass of people doing something for someone else to consider doing it. Teams are always looking to exploit market inefficiencies. What if Masai or Nick just said "if you're a Raptor, you shoot your free throws underhanded". Here's looking at you Pascal in the final minutes of game 3 against the Bucks. Could this every happen? We've been known to be janky before

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    Tmac2darak wrote: View Post
    https://www.thestar.com/amp/sports/r...ud-report.html
    Sheriff’s deputy behind Masai Ujiri lawsuit was convicted of insurance fraud: report
    Probably doing it again with his latest "injuries"

Leave a comment:

• Tmac2darak
    replied
    https://www.thestar.com/amp/sports/r...ud-report.html
    Sheriff’s deputy behind Masai Ujiri lawsuit was convicted of insurance fraud: report

Leave a comment:

• bertarapsfan
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post

Kenny sounds a little sketchy here, its been a pretty poorly kept secret that he's been wanting a high profile job for an NBA team the last couple years, and the quotes sound very one sided and self serving..

https://www.forbes.com/sites/shlomos.../#12702d822b5c

Soooo, Ujiri had no idea you had aspirations to be a GM, he just called you one day, and said "hey man, could I mentor you? I think you'd be great at this, and I could never do your TV stuff!"

I'm sure there was a conversation, but Kenny makes it sounded very one sided, like people are dying to work with Kenny.
    i think if we know the kenny wants to be a GM. masai would too. Dudes been talking about it on national tv for the past 3 years. its no secret ken

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post

Don't think it's a rumor. Smith says Ujiri called him and made the offer.
    Kenny sounds a little sketchy here, its been a pretty poorly kept secret that he's been wanting a high profile job for an NBA team the last couple years, and the quotes sound very one sided and self serving..

https://www.forbes.com/sites/shlomos.../#12702d822b5c

“He called me one day,” Smith said Thursday in Chicago at the House Of Blues, “and I didn’t know him,”

It was last season during Toronto’s championship run, Smith said, that Ujiri hit him up with a fascinating proposal.

“He was like ‘hey man, do you mind if I mentor you’” Smith said, “because I think you’d be good at this.’”

His unique success story made what Smith said Ujiri told him even more surprising.

“‘The things that I could do, I think you could do,’” Smith said, recalling his conversation. “‘And some of the things I see on television, I could never do.’”

Whether or not the 54-year-old Smith ever ends up leaving Inside The NBA for a managerial role, he clearly has the desire for it. And though he didn’t take up the offer to be mentored, at least this time, that’s what made last season’s unprompted phone call from Ujiri so shocking to him.

“I always had the aspiration,” Smith said, “but to have a guy like that call you out of the blue, not even knowing what my aspirations were? That was intriguing.”
    Soooo, Ujiri had no idea you had aspirations to be a GM, he just called you one day, and said "hey man, could I mentor you? I think you'd be great at this, and I could never do your TV stuff!"

I'm sure there was a conversation, but Kenny makes it sounded very one sided, like people are dying to work with Kenny.
    Last edited by KeonClark; Wed Feb 19th, 2020, 01:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LJ2
    replied
    I had no idea this actually happened. I wonder what the motive was for Ujiri, as Smith doesn't strike me as a numbers guy or that is particularly well connected with players.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    LJ2 wrote: View Post
    Any truth to the rumor that Masai offered to mentor Kenny the Jet Smith for a front office role with the Raptors. Apparently this was last season during the title run.
    Don't think it's a rumor. Smith says Ujiri called him and made the offer.

Leave a comment:

• LJ2
    replied
    Any truth to the rumor that Masai offered to mentor Kenny the Jet Smith for a front office role with the Raptors. Apparently this was last season during the title run.

Leave a comment:

• GOLDBLUM
    replied
    This is pretty hilarious, from The Ringer...

Savage off the top, and then watch the sketch as well... 🤣

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
    So...do you think Masai would run for political office in Canada? Election year, he's taking photos with our troops in Kuwait. Cozying up to JT. Obv I think he's too good for politics but I don't know what's up with this trip.
    No downside for his Giants of Africa and African Basketball League if he gets to spend more time hobnobbing with the leaders of African nations alongside Trudeau.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
    So...do you think Masai would run for political office in Canada? Election year, he's taking photos with our troops in Kuwait. Cozying up to JT. Obv I think he's too good for politics but I don't know what's up with this trip.
    There's no money in politics (if you're clean)

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    Zak24gege wrote: View Post
    It would be wise for the Raptors ownership to make sure Masai is content. The only question I would have at this point is the same one Grange posed in a recent piece. How much longer does Masai want to continue with the basketball gig. He's an ambitious guy with interests in areas beyond sports. Fortunately, his salary and position allows him the means to play a leadership role in some of these areas. Hard to match $'s in the public domain.
    I didn't read the aforementioned Grange piece, but in a nutshell, what did he feel were Masai's aspirations beyond those tied into sports. Everything I have read says he has great aspirations for Africa but they entirely involve basketball. You think he's qualified to be CEO of FEDEX or APPLE?

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

Yeah, selfishly I'd like him to stay with the Raptors, but it's almost like Masai really should be doing something bigger than basketball as his full-time gig.
    Masai loves basketball, same as all of us. He has his dream job. Everybody keeps trying to graduate him to his next job until hes president of the world. Hes a basketball Ops president, his passion, and hes got such a great staff under him and so much leeway and good standing built up that he can do it part time and leave Bobby in charge while he goes and improves Africa, his other passion. Dude is where hes content.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X