Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2
    replied
    I had no idea this actually happened. I wonder what the motive was for Ujiri, as Smith doesn't strike me as a numbers guy or that is particularly well connected with players.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    LJ2 wrote: View Post
    Any truth to the rumor that Masai offered to mentor Kenny the Jet Smith for a front office role with the Raptors. Apparently this was last season during the title run.
    Don't think it's a rumor. Smith says Ujiri called him and made the offer.

Leave a comment:

• LJ2
    replied
    Any truth to the rumor that Masai offered to mentor Kenny the Jet Smith for a front office role with the Raptors. Apparently this was last season during the title run.

Leave a comment:

• GOLDBLUM
    replied
    This is pretty hilarious, from The Ringer...

Savage off the top, and then watch the sketch as well... 🤣

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
    So...do you think Masai would run for political office in Canada? Election year, he's taking photos with our troops in Kuwait. Cozying up to JT. Obv I think he's too good for politics but I don't know what's up with this trip.
    No downside for his Giants of Africa and African Basketball League if he gets to spend more time hobnobbing with the leaders of African nations alongside Trudeau.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    So...do you think Masai would run for political office in Canada? Election year, he's taking photos with our troops in Kuwait. Cozying up to JT. Obv I think he's too good for politics but I don't know what's up with this trip.
    There's no money in politics (if you're clean)

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    Zak24gege wrote: View Post
    It would be wise for the Raptors ownership to make sure Masai is content. The only question I would have at this point is the same one Grange posed in a recent piece. How much longer does Masai want to continue with the basketball gig. He's an ambitious guy with interests in areas beyond sports. Fortunately, his salary and position allows him the means to play a leadership role in some of these areas. Hard to match $'s in the public domain.
    I didn't read the aforementioned Grange piece, but in a nutshell, what did he feel were Masai's aspirations beyond those tied into sports. Everything I have read says he has great aspirations for Africa but they entirely involve basketball. You think he's qualified to be CEO of FEDEX or APPLE?

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

Yeah, selfishly I'd like him to stay with the Raptors, but it's almost like Masai really should be doing something bigger than basketball as his full-time gig.
    Masai loves basketball, same as all of us. He has his dream job. Everybody keeps trying to graduate him to his next job until hes president of the world. Hes a basketball Ops president, his passion, and hes got such a great staff under him and so much leeway and good standing built up that he can do it part time and leave Bobby in charge while he goes and improves Africa, his other passion. Dude is where hes content.

Leave a comment:

• Truth Teller
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

Yeah, selfishly I'd like him to stay with the Raptors, but it's almost like Masai really should be doing something bigger than basketball as his full-time gig.
    MLSE lets him do all the other stuff during the season. He is doing bigger things. But lets not underestimate how much the guy likes to be a basketball executive.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    nba_4_life wrote: View Post

If players can be paid 20,30,40 million... then so can the best GM in the sport
    Considering that the average NBA franchise is currently worth $2.14 B and they’re talking about the next TV deal in 2025 to be ~ double the last deal, then $20m for a guy who creates as much enterprise value as Masai is literally peanuts in the grand scheme.

Leave a comment:

• Rudy Bargnani
    replied
    By the way was I the only one who saw that clip and thought "Wait, we have Canadian troops in Kuwait still?" Bruh I honestly had no idea.

Leave a comment:

• Rudy Bargnani
    replied
    Last edited by Rudy Bargnani; Wed Feb 12th, 2020, 09:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    Masai is also an official Canadian. He's one of us

There's making a commitment to a fan base, and then there's MAKING A COMMITMENT!

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    Zak24gege wrote: View Post
    It would be wise for the Raptors ownership to make sure Masai is content. The only question I would have at this point is the same one Grange posed in a recent piece. How much longer does Masai want to continue with the basketball gig. He's an ambitious guy with interests in areas beyond sports. Fortunately, his salary and position allows him the means to play a leadership role in some of these areas. Hard to match $'s in the public domain.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Masai is also an official Canadian. He's one of us

Leave a comment:

Working...
X