• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masai was also interviewed by CTV News:
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/time-f...ests-1.4964715

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      Kareem is still the GOAT and it ain't even close. Has MJ even said anything yet?
      "Murderous cops buy sneakers too"
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Kareem is still the GOAT and it ain't even close. Has MJ even said anything yet?

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...ed-to-the-edge
        He's got a video and a statement up on his Twitter account - http://twitter.com/Jumpman23

Politics & social engagement have never been in his wheelhouse, he won basketball games and sold shoes and Gatorade.

Players are different. This is a general statement and not directed at you golden, but I get uncomfortable with the shift to an expectation for everybody to make statements and to make certain kinds of statements. The social pressure means you can trust anybody's authenticity after that point. Who's saying what they mean and who's had PR help to avoid brand damage? You can't know anymore once you demand everybody say something. Even Fox News is releasing statements at this point.
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...ed-to-the-edge
          When we're talkin about "GOAT" we're talkin about "basketball" GOAT right? just checkin.

If you're talkin about SPORTS HUMANITARIAN GOAT - and I think that's what you're talking about here then it's Muhammad Ali.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

He's got a video and a statement up on his Twitter account - http://twitter.com/Jumpman23

Politics & social engagement have never been in his wheelhouse, he won basketball games and sold shoes and Gatorade.

Players are different. This is a general statement and not directed at you golden, but I get uncomfortable with the shift to an expectation for everybody to make statements and to make certain kinds of statements. The social pressure means you can trust anybody's authenticity after that point. Who's saying what they mean and who's had PR help to avoid brand damage? You can't know anymore once you demand everybody say something. Even Fox News is releasing statements at this point.
            With great power comes great responsibility. Sorry MJ... that's the deal.

The world has just finished fellating MJ for the past month or so. After decades of doing already doing that. The least MJ could do is take even a lukewarm stand and call out the cops. You know, like offend somebody who deserves to be offended. Show that you really care. Like, just for once, MJ. The world has given you love and billions. It's the least you can do.

I do get what you're saying.... MJ is just being authentic, as always with boilerplate platitudes. And that authenticity continues to reveal his true character.... which looks a lot like shallowness, greed and petty ego.

Comment

• It's an idiotic argument. Just like MJ, Wayne Gretzky never speaks on social issues. Ever. Evander Kane on the other hand is pretty active about this situation that is going on right now. Is Kane now the NHL GOAT? some people here seriously need to use their brain man.

Roberto Clemente is a legend, great humanitarian just like Kareem. MLB even named an award for him. Great baseball player but GOAT? better than Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb? Willie Mays? Ted Williams? Mickey Mantle? no.

Is Jaylen Brown in the GOAT debate now too? Brown > MJ?
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• And I know some here will bring up Kareem's stats again. And this will be the last that I'm going to talk about this. He won 5 championships in LA, all of them as Magic's sidekick. These are just facts. "Showtime Lakers" was Magic's team. They called it Showtime because of Magic lol.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Media will make you believe a lot of things. They gravitated towards Magic because of his talent and personality. But without James Worthy and Kareem "Showtime" wouldn't work. Defensively Kareem was elite defender , shot blocker. Numerous all defensive first team and second team. 3rd leading all time rebounder. Third all time in blocks. 6 MVPs, 2 FMVP with Bucks and Lakers.
                  Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

With great power comes great responsibility. Sorry MJ... that's the deal.
                    Naw, I disagree there. On any topic, some people (for whom the subject matter is not their day job) are thoughtful and worth listening to and some aren't. I don't care if the thoughtful ones speaking out on race and police violence are basketball players or not.

My Twitter feed is pretty diverse. I've got journalists, politicians, athletes, sports execs, community activists, veterans, authors, comedians, regular people, etc. I follow the people whose opinions and thoughtfulness I value. I try to keep some diversity in the feed to keep myself out of feedback loops. Michael Jordan isn't somebody I follow on any form of media and I don't really care. He played basketball, he won rings, he sold shoes. He's great at those things. He's (probably) nobody's civil rights hero. I don't have an issue with that and it doesn't affect the basketball GOAT conversation at all for me. I guess I can understand for some if some level of community leadership is a component of your basketball GOAT argument? I wouldn't agree but I suppose you could make a case for that.

And for sure I'd say something like, from the distance I'm at, I respect someone like Masai as a man and a human being more than I do MJ. But that MJ was a severe competitor to the point of making him fairly flawed as a man is pretty well acknowledged, I think. The guy has personal beefs that last decades. The same trait made him great on the basketball court. I'm a pretty big fan of Michael Jordan the basketball player. I don't need him to be something he's not in his personal life (as long as there's a minimum level of decency, obviously).
                    Last edited by S.R.; Tue Jun 2, 2020, 02:57 PM.
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                      Media will make you believe a lot of things. They gravitated towards Magic because of his talent and personality. But without James Worthy and Kareem "Showtime" wouldn't work. Defensively Kareem was elite defender , shot blocker. Numerous all defensive first team and second team. 3rd leading all time rebounder. Third all time in blocks. 6 MVPs, 2 FMVP with Bucks and Lakers.
                      Except it worked. Magic's already won TWO championships before Worthy arrived. His first championship, his rookie year, Worthy wasn't even in the league yet. Game 6 close out game against Philly in the Finals, Kareem didn't play because of an injury, that was the game were Magic played center. I think he finished with 42/15/7 in that game.

As I said, Magic was Showtime. They called it Showtime because of his style of play. Not because of Kareem's skyhook lol. Magic was the one that transformed that franchise. The Lakers were just another team before he arrived.
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

Except it worked. Magic's already won TWO championships before Worthy arrived. His first championship, his rookie year, Worthy wasn't even in the league yet. Game 6 close out game against Philly in the Finals, Kareem didn't play because of an injury, that was the game were Magic played center. I think he finished with 42/15/7 in that game.

As I said, Magic was Showtime. They called it Showtime because of his style of play. Not because of Kareem's skyhook lol. Magic was the one that transformed that franchise. The Lakers were just another team before he arrived.
                        You've said this many times, magic was the big dog in the 80s in LA, conveniently leaving out that Kareems greatness was made in the 70s, a lot of that in Wisconsin
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

You've said this many times, magic was the big dog in the 80s in LA, conveniently leaving out that Kareems greatness was made in the 70s, a lot of that in Wisconsin
                          yup. 5.5 of his 6 mvp's were in the 70's.

apart from kareem, is there another player in the top 30 or 40 nba players of all time who played his best years in the 70's, other than two great years of bill walton? it's easily the worst decade of nba competition after the 50's.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

He's put up great numbers there no doubt. But it's not like he's won 6 chips in his 6 years there. He's only won one. But back to his Lakers career. Look at the Lakers record with him as "the man" from 75 to 79. 40-42, 53-29, 45-37, 47-35. They were mediocre. ONE 50 win season. Zero championships. Heck, the Raptors had 3-4 50 win seasons with Kyle Lowry as the man.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• If you're great you gotta be able to lead your team to multiple championships as the man. That's why MJ, Bird, LeBron, Magic and Duncan are my top 5 players of all time. MJ's Bulls, Bird's Celtics, Magic's Lakers and Duncan's Spurs team became a dynasty because of them. LeBron was never part of a dynasty but 8 straight NBA Finals appearance as the main guy? that will never happen again.
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Meh nothing has convinced me that Kareem isn't up there in GOAT convo. Longevity like Lebron James. Defense. Offense. Accolades. Championships.
                                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Working...
                                X