Everything Masai Ujiri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't teach wingspan wrote: View Post
    This is all going to get cleared up quickly and Masai will remember what cops are like in the USA when Washington comes calling

[tweet https://twitter.com/rgilliescanada/s...07219547320320 /tweet]

Edit: gah this tweet embedding business
    Interesting replies in that thread. This is a Warriors fan too keep in mind:

9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Wow Cops... wrong? Shocking.

Also, Masai is staying. Talk out of Washington is they are not formally offering anything. (I don't think Raptors would let them anyways. Masai is under contract)

Comment

• I think the whole Washington thing is that they're in a really crappy place right now as a franchise, so they just want to be able to say to their fans, "hey look, we're trying to do something!"

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Interesting replies in that thread. This is a Warriors fan too keep in mind:

Why is there no official statement from the Warriors organization on this incident? What a disgraceful way to close down the storied Oracle... with a racial profiling of an NBA champion, robbing him of his moment of glory.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Why is there no official statement from the Warriors organization on this incident? What a disgraceful way to close down the storied Oracle... with a racial profiling of an NBA champion, robbing him of his moment of glory.
            Yeah theres further video where kyle hugs masai as he steps on the court and he looks really bothered and upset still. Now that I know most of the facts beyond last night hearing "masai punched cop"..this story is really pissing me off. Fuck that power tripping loser

Comment

When you stop and think about it hes actually criminally underrated

A lot of people dont understand that he did all of this.
              I think Masai is one of those guys who does something so new and different that it's hard for some people to wrap their heads around it.

I was one of those people. Before, it seemed like most champs were either grown out of lottery picks or via free agent superstars. So while I thought he made a lot of good individual moves, I didn't see it building to anything sustainable, because three key pieces this year are free agents.

Turns out if you win one championship then that's more than enough to justify one big godfather attempt of a season. Regardless of what happens now, Masai did something I've been hoping for and dreaming of for 24 years.

Obviously Masai is 100x smarter than me and we are incredibly lucky to have him. I feel like a moron for ever having doubted him. But somebody has to be wrong around here sometimes 😅

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post

I think Masai is one of those guys who does something so new and different that it's hard for some people to wrap their heads around it.

I was one of those people. Before, it seemed like most champs were either grown out of lottery picks or via free agent superstars. So while I thought he made a lot of good individual moves, I didn't see it building to anything sustainable, because three key pieces this year are free agents.

Turns out if you win one championship then that's more than enough to justify one big godfather attempt of a season. Regardless of what happens now, Masai did something I've been hoping for and dreaming of for 24 years.

Obviously Masai is 100x smarter than me and we are incredibly lucky to have him. I feel like a moron for ever having doubted him. But somebody has to be wrong around here sometimes 😅
                Dont feel too dumb, zach lowe agrees..
                article that came out today where he says exactly this, that masai and the raptors path to the top is probably the most unique title win in nba history. It's a fantastic article guys

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ust-pulled-off

edit: for the record, I always backed the exact path we took: stay the course, steady improvement, wait for an opportunity to acquire a star and pounce. But it didnt make me smart, I just believed in masai heavily. His skills are too brilliant to be wasted tanking

never forgetti we traded a year of greivis Vasquez to Milwaukee and got back picks that became anunoby and Powell. These little brilliant moves that all got us here
                Last edited by KeonClark; Fri Jun 14, 2019, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Yeah theres further video where kyle hugs masai as he steps on the court and he looks really bothered and upset still. Now that I know most of the facts beyond last night hearing "masai punched cop"..this story is really pissing me off. Fuck that power tripping loser
                  Witnesses are saying the entire cop story is bullshit. There are two videos with Masai holding his credentials in his hand.

It's one thing for the police to fuck up so bad that they stopped Masai with valid credentials, but it shows almost malicious intent to pursue charges for their own fuck up. A lot of American police departments are just a goddamn mess.

Comment

Scrap... it's all good. We had some real battles on that issue - whether it was possible to "build from the middle" as you called it. I was never worried. I had a hunch that Ujiri was pretty good because he reminded me a lot of Toronto Blue Jay's championship architect.... Pat Gillick.

Gillick was a superior evaluator of talent whose specialty was finding undervalued gems late in the draft, undrafted and from other team's rosters. He was also master at winning trades. He built consistently good but not great winning teams, tweaking around the fringes and excelled at young player development - but the Jays could never get over the hump in the playoffs. He acquired the moniker "Stand Pat" by those who felt he was risk averse and afraid to make big deals to win big. Turns out he was waiting for the opportunity to acquire the right kind of talent and pounced on a franchise altering deal...acquiring Robbie Alomar & Joe Carter. The rest is history. Sounds eerily familiar, no?

Masai Ujiri is the modern day Pat Gillick. And if history repeats itself, we're talking back-to-back championships all up in here.

Comment

He's conscious of what he's doing. He's not trying to follow some paint by numbers system like some other clubs. There is no system, he's making changes as opportunities present themselves. That's my take on it.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

He's conscious of what he's doing. He's not trying to follow some paint by numbers system like some other clubs. There is no system, he's making changes as opportunities present themselves. That's my take on it.
                        Masai is continuously building up an asset base through trades and the draft, while retaining enough flexibility to make opportunistic deals if the right upgrades present themselves. He's like a portfolio manager, always trying to increase the asset value, by buying low and selling high. And investing resources in his own players to make them more valuable. He will also never tank, because Masai understands that there is a premium placed on players from winning programs and big discount on players who are deemed career losers. What do you think FVV and Powell could net you in a trade right now? A heck of a lot more than if they played on the Knicks.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

Yep and while it may look like hes staying the course, he was always hunting for big fish to either add to Lowry and DeRozan or replace them. Including but not limited to Millsap, Paul George, and Jimmy butler. Kawhi was just the one that finally worked.

in the meantime, kept winning all the minor trades and re stocking the bench with late draft picks from small schools

Comment

...somebody has to be wrong around here sometimes 😅
                            God knows there are enough of them who "never are."

Comment

• I would say masai has literally made just 2 blunders since he got here: bruno and Carroll. And bruno still may become a player and I blame Carroll for a lot of it, he cashed out and just wanted to shop for pirate clothes.

Comment

• Re Masai's evaluation/trading skills... he apparently was quite vehement about not including either Pascal or OG in the Kawhi acquisition. Wonder if he would have actually nixed the deal if the Spurs held out. But then again he probably knew they didn't have a better offer. Poker faces all around but he held. I await Masai's memoirs

Comment

Working...
                                X