Everything Masai Ujiri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

What scenario is the more likely to result in getting shot in a sea of 20,000 screaming fans?
    -Hands out "I'm Masai Ujiri, President of the Toronto Raptors" my credentials are here in my hand/pocket....
    -"Out of my way!" pushes by the mall cop, gets pushed back, slam the cop harder

I think it's fair to say that "standing down" and de-escalating the situation may have been a tad more effective in this case....I want to see the tape....
    "Just do what the officer tells you to do and you wont get hurt, boy"
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• The fact that Masai was clearly singled out, isn't getting enough attention....

I also spoke with Raptors game announcer Leo Rautins, who described the Alameda Sheriff’s Office version of events as complete nonsense. “There is no way this isn’t a racial profile at best. I did a fast walk by security and no one cared,” Rautins said. “Masai was with his security, and team personnel, who all have credentials. How many men in a suit, with security and credentials, are trying to get on the court for a trophy presentation?”
      https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/the-...f-masai-ujiri/

Comment

What scenario is the more likely to result in getting shot in a sea of 20,000 screaming fans?
        -Hands out "I'm Masai Ujiri, President of the Toronto Raptors" my credentials are here in my hand/pocket....
        -"Out of my way!" pushes by the mall cop, gets pushed back, slam the cop harder

I think it's fair to say that "standing down" and de-escalating the situation may have been a tad more effective in this case....I want to see the tape....
        By all accounts (except the police) option A is what Masai went with until the cop pushed him.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
          The fact that Masai was clearly singled out, isn't getting enough attention....

https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/the-...f-masai-ujiri/
          I posted this link earlier and received a strawman rebuttal. Some see past it .

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
            What a tough situation. Ujiri was obviously amped and trying to get to the court. Did he even realize in that moment he was dealing with Oakland PD? Was he looking at this guy or just trying to get past this guy? The celebration had already started, think of the frame of mind he'd be in, in that crowd, at that moment.

Police getting aggressive pisses me off. Ujiri had team credentials but not the purple ones with the gold armband? WTF is this, border patrol? The cop is "protecting" the court for the celebration of the goddamn NBA Finals and he has the credentials of the President of the Toronto Raptors, who just won the Finals, right in front of him. So he decides to give this guy a shove because his credentials are the wrong colour? Fuck off. That rationale is completely out of line for initiating violence in that context.

What I do know is in the video where Lowry grabs Ujiri, Ujiri was clearly rattled. This was not a routine traffic stop situation. It was crazy. It was the Finals. ALSO, Ujiri got on the floor because a bunch of people waved their arms and Lowry pulled him over. So apparently a purple pass and a gold armband are not a mandatory document required for entrance to the court. Apparently you can use your head and see that everybody is yelling that this guy belongs on the floor and realize maybe the purple pass doesn't matter. And they obviously, obviously were not carding everybody in that situation. We know this.

The cops always have some rationale for their behaviour. Always. It doesn't mean they were right. Context especially means a lot.

As for standing down - unarmed men have literally been shot in the back while lying down in that country. Police violence is a huge, huge issue.
            I agree with most of what you said. But let's not make this entirely a US/CDN thing, when we have black youth with a knife on a bus get shot 20X by multiple officers with no one near him or in any immediate danger....
            Last edited by G__Deane; Thu Jun 20, 2019, 03:03 PM.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

"Just do what the officer tells you to do and you wont get hurt, boy"
              Don't you dare try to lay that on me. You have no idea.

Comment

• What feels most suspicious to me is a reporter saying that the officer's superior confirmed that he was fine after the supposed scuffle, but now he has a concussion.

Also, I love Deadspin:

But according to police spokesperson Sergeant Ray Kelly, Ujiri showed his identification “in a very threatening kind of way,” and “was violating [the officer’s] personal space,” and that while the officer’s shove was merely a “level 5,” Ujiri’s retaliatory shove was a very uncool “level 10.” Alas, lacking body camera footage, you will just have to imagine for yourself what crucial nuances differentiate the various levels of shoving, and what it looks like to present identification in a very threatening manner.
                Presumably an armed police officer can defend himself against a laminated piece of paper....

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                  What a tough situation. Ujiri was obviously amped and trying to get to the court. Did he even realize in that moment he was dealing with Oakland PD? Was he looking at this guy or just trying to get past this guy? The celebration had already started, think of the frame of mind he'd be in, in that crowd, at that moment.

Police getting aggressive pisses me off. Ujiri had team credentials but not the purple ones with the gold armband? WTF is this, border patrol? The cop is "protecting" the court for the celebration of the goddamn NBA Finals and he has the credentials of the President of the Toronto Raptors, who just won the Finals, right in front of him. So he decides to give this guy a shove because his credentials are the wrong colour? Fuck off. That rationale is completely out of line for initiating violence in that context.

What I do know is in the video where Lowry grabs Ujiri, Ujiri was clearly rattled. This was not a routine traffic stop situation. It was crazy. It was the Finals. ALSO, Ujiri got on the floor because a bunch of people waved their arms and Lowry pulled him over. So apparently a purple pass and a gold armband are not a mandatory document required for entrance to the court. Apparently you can use your head and see that everybody is yelling that this guy belongs on the floor and realize maybe the purple pass doesn't matter. And they obviously, obviously were not carding everybody in that situation. We know this.

The cops always have some rationale for their behaviour. Always. It doesn't mean they were right. Context especially means a lot.

As for standing down - unarmed men have literally been shot in the back while lying down in that country. Police violence is a huge, huge issue.
                  Everyone is quoting the eyewitness fan, Greg Weiner so .....

"Wiener says Ujiri's credentials were in his hands and not clearly visible to the deputy when he tried to go onto the court. The deputy stopped him and Ujiri stepped back, before trying to go forward again. When Ujiri was stopped by the deputy again, Wiener said Ujiri pushed the deputy in the chest with two hands.

Police spokesman Kelly:

“There is a credentialling policy that the NBA has in place. Everybody from the top executives all the way down ... know that you must wear credentials to get on the court,” he said.

“We would expect more from a team president.”

Again....I want to see the tape.

Comment

• Leveling the pushes by an arbitrary system of grading is hilarious. Is it a scale of a 1-10? 1-50? What level is an acceptable push?

the cops sound like schoolyard kids describing what went down to their principal

"I pushed him level 5 but then he pushed me level a thousand! I mean level a million!"
                    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• schmemily wrote: View Post
                      What feels most suspicious to me is a reporter saying that the officer's superior confirmed that he was fine after the supposed scuffle, but now he has a concussion.

Also, I love Deadspin:

Presumably an armed police officer can defend himself against a laminated piece of paper....
                      Off all the details, there's no doubt (imo) that the officer is milking the "injury" and there is no concussion. But to be fair, there was another quote that sai dhe was fine but complained about a sore jaw. I hope the tape shows zero jaw/head contact.

Comment

Police spokesman Kelly:
                        ....is the same guy who also said Ujiri presented his ID "in a threatening manner."

Comment

Off all the details, there's no doubt (imo) that the officer is milking the "injury" and there is no concussion. But to be fair, there was another quote that sai dhe was fine but complained about a sore jaw. I hope the tape shows zero jaw/head contact.
                          Same.

I realize it's dumb to apply my own experience to this story, but I was once in a car accident that caused a temporary loss of consciousness and two black eyes. I hit my head pretty hard but didn't have a concussion.

Comment

• Cop was being a tight asshole if he knew who Masai is, saw credentials but shoved him away because of technicality.
                            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• If this case ever makes it to trial, there are countless cameras showing that the cop is just fine. What a waste of taxpayers' money.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                                Cop was being a tight asshole if he knew who Masai is, saw credentials but shoved him away because of technicality.
                                In this case, "credentials" means that you're wearing a gold armband or a white face. Or orange face, if you're Leo Rautins, which allows a 6-8 person to run (not walk) straight past security into a heavily enforced secure area.

Comment

Working...
                                X