No announcement yet.

Everything Masai Ujiri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple things. First, not clear he is a California resident. Two, exchange rate and cost of living not accounted for in the analysis. Not sure those wipe out the whole difference but it makes a difference.

This is also assumes no other tax planning. I am no expert on it but I find it hard to believe there are no shelters available at all.

Comment

• I don't believe that guy's numbers for a second. Seems very US-biased, focuses on US tax breaks and dismissive of Canadian ones e.g. the signing bonus. Losing $11m in a 4 year contract would be an even bigger issue than players currently make this out to be.
      ​​​​​​
      Financial post comes up with completely different numbers - https://business.financialpost.com/p...jamie-golombek
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Tmac2darak wrote: View Post
        Whatever happened with Masai & that cop at the championship game in Oakland? Things have been mighty quiet.
        I was thinking the same thing yesterday. Seems pretty damn quiet, almost as if nothing ever happened

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
          Couple things. First, not clear he is a California resident. Two, exchange rate and cost of living not accounted for in the analysis. Not sure those wipe out the whole difference but it makes a difference.

This is also assumes no other tax planning. I am no expert on it but I find it hard to believe there are no shelters available at all.
          He recently bought a house in CA (and a fancy one at that). I believe this a major consideration re residency for tax and of course voting purposes.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

This writer for Forbes specializes in sports tax issues and he says that the problem is real. If you can refute it, please do....

https://www.forbes.com/sites/seanpac.../#49df58b51d8d
            US working on relief for US citizens working abroad.

https://business.financialpost.com/p...ving-in-canada

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

This writer for Forbes specializes in sports tax issues and he says that the problem is real. If you can refute it, please do....

A compelling breakdown. However in the big scheme that while the numbers show an approx. of $12 mill. over 4 yrs. shortfall ($3 mill. per) what are the other opportunity revenue possibilities outside of the NBA salary accruing to a Kawhi Leonard level star ? I am thinking enhanced shoe/merch deals etc. China is possibly much more reachable from Canada than the US as with other international opportunities That 3 mill. shortfall may not be so difficult to bridge.

On a lighter note ... what if MLSE housed him in a super condo across the Niagara River in US state and he got helicoptered to the ACC for practices and games only? (/sarc). The point being I'd like to see if there were other professional arguments on the tax issue. And this is Kawhi... he walked away from a super max. possibility in SA.
              Last edited by Bendit; Thu Jul 4, 2019, 10:44 AM.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                Couple things. First, not clear he is a California resident. Two, exchange rate and cost of living not accounted for in the analysis. Not sure those wipe out the whole difference but it makes a difference.

And this is not my understanding at all:
                "California does not allow a credit for taxes paid to foreign countries or provinces, so Leonard would be on the hook for California taxes on 100% of his income."

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

And this is not my understanding at all:
                  "California does not allow a credit for taxes paid to foreign countries or provinces, so Leonard would be on the hook for California taxes on 100% of his income."
                  If the tax issue was real, why would Derozan re-up with Raps. Same with Kyle and Ibaka?

Comment

• Zak24gege wrote: View Post

If the tax issue was real, why would Derozan re-up with Raps. Same with Kyle and Ibaka?
                    I suppose it would depend on where each player was domiciled.

Let's suppose you spend 4 months of the year living "at home" wherever that is. You pay the marginal tax rate of your home State (or Province for 4 months and the rest at the tax rate of the team you're with for 40 games and then the tax rate of the states you're in the other 40 games. You're deemed to have "earned" that portion of your pay where you actually played the games.

I used to have a business that operated out of Canada but sold in 22 states. The CRA cares where the deals for sales were actually consumated or else the US could lay claim to some. Who knows how it operates for athletes but I'm pretty sure California doesn't get 40% and Canada 54% lol

Comment

• There's going to come a point where we have to address what exactly happened with the Kawhi negotiations so I might as well get the ball rolling with what (little) information we have.

All signs are pointing to a scenario which put us with our backs up against the wall by Kawhi's camp with zero guarantees of any resigning. Furthermore, it sounded at best that it would just help them leverage a situation that would help land them at the clippers in an ideal position. I think that we can all agree that Masai cant take any blame for not taking the cheaky bait. Woj, who is leaking out small details every interview, said and I'm paraphrasing " it probably would have never been enough to keep him in Toronto ". So with that being said, I think any criticism of Masai is reactionary and unwarranted. If hes going to have the attitude that no player is greater than the team, its more than okay by me. Its commendable.

Personally, I'm extremely grateful today that MLSE decided 6 years ago to take a chance on Denver's GM. Through everything, he's always had our backs and tried to do the right thing for the organization first. He has never bent on that and we should be extremely confident in our chances as long as he is still with us.

Comment

• Who's criticizing Masai?

Comment

• There have been some people (dreamers) who believe if we had shown greater interest in Russ/PG, the outcome would have been different. That wasn't really what I was trying to say. My point was more to compliment him from a fans point of view and discuss how the organization approached this.

Comment

• Ya, I think we all think Masai and the franchise did all they could. If a player wants to be close to home he wants to be home.

we’re the f*cking CHAMPS!

Comment

• Thank you Masai!

Comment

• Wonder if Masai is thinking of building a team of international players. They did everything right, won a title and Kawhi wanted to go home to California. I’m sure it’s going through his mind that a team of guys from Africa and Canada won’t flock to LA.

Comment

Working...
                                X