Everything Masai Ujiri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    To me Lowry and Vince are the no-brainers. Once each is retired the jerseys should go up.

The one year makes Kawhi tough. Statue might be the better way to go there.
    I actually find a statue to be a bigger honour than a retired jersey. Retired jerseys are a dime-a-dozen throughout the league. But statues are reserved for the truly special ones.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post

I actually find a statue to be a bigger honour than a retired jersey. Retired jerseys are a dime-a-dozen throughout the league. But statues are reserved for the truly special ones.
      I think they are also about different things. Statues (especially sports statues) almost by definition are often celebrations of a moment, an act, as they often depict that act. Jerseys are more a recognition of the overall contribution by the player.

A statue of Kawhi crouching after the Shot would be appropriate as a descriptor of the glory of last season, and arguably a higher honour than anything Vince or Lowry would get, but also as a different thing than the honour they would get, which was more to do with body of work.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• A statue is a little too much. I don't really believe in them but if we had to have one, it would be Masai yelling "F@ck Brooklyn". That's the statue I want.

Comment

• Raptors already honored Kawhi. Banner is in Scotiabank Arena with all of the names. The only reason people want to honor Kawhi is championship right? So we're done. Banner is up.
          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
            Raptors already honored Kawhi. Banner is in Scotiabank Arena with all of the names. The only reason people want to honor Kawhi is championship right? So we're done. Banner is up.
            He was the main reason why we won that championship though and his name on the banner isn't any bigger than the other names on it. He deserves a better honor. In 15-20 years, people should know it was Kawhi that brought us that banner.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

He was the main reason why we won that championship though and his name on the banner isn't any bigger than the other names on it. He deserves a better honor. In 15-20 years, people should know it was Kawhi that brought us that banner.
              From management perspective wouldn't "Raptors won the championship in 2019" be better than "Kawhi won it for Toronto"?

Comment

From management perspective wouldn't "Raptors won the championship in 2019" be better than "Kawhi won it for Toronto"?
                Yeah but it also shows other stars what type of honour you might get here if you play for Toronto. Great sales pitch actually.

Comment

Yeah but it also shows other stars what type of honour you might get here if you play for Toronto. Great sales pitch actually.
                  Do FA really look for that? Winning a championship is a first priority. I don't think winning in Toronto is somehow more special than winning in New York or LA if we're being completely honest.

Comment

Needing to have an opinion on everything does not often lend itself to this type of common sense.....

Comment

Didn't he get awarded the NBA Finals MVP? He wouldn't have won the title without the other guys, don't forget that. They won as a team and he was the star player on that team. No one is ever going to forget Kawhi Leonard's 2019 playoff performance. Its up there with any of Jordan's seasons. His legacy is sealed.

Comment

Do FA really look for that? Winning a championship is a first priority. I don't think winning in Toronto is somehow more special than winning in New York or LA if we're being completely honest.
                        We're talking about jersey retirement though. If Raps retired #2, than you could say to other stars.. win here as the best player and we'll do the same for you. LA may not even retire Lebron's number even if he wins it all. NY might... no idea what Dolan would do though.

Comment

We're talking about jersey retirement though. If Raps retired #2, than you could say to other stars.. win here as the best player and we'll do the same for you. LA may not even retire Lebron's number even if he wins it all. NY might... no idea what Dolan would do though.
                          ... Why do they care though? We have an emotional tie to Toronto but why them as a sales pitch?

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

Didn't he get awarded the NBA Finals MVP? He wouldn't have won the title without the other guys, don't forget that. They won as a team and he was the star player on that team. No one is ever going to forget Kawhi Leonard's 2019 playoff performance. Its up there with any of Jordan's seasons. His legacy is sealed.
                            Yeah sure.. but we're talking about a Raptor honour. He brought us that championship. Yeah he had help. Jordan's number is retired. Steve Kerr's and Dennis Rodman's aren't.

Jordan was an easy decision.. he played there for his entire career (sort of) and is a GOAT. But my point is, Raptors may never win another. And Kawhi got us that one. He was Jordanesque. He should deserve more than just a name on the banner with everyone else's. Statue is way too much. His jersey should be retired IMO.

Comment

Yeah sure.. but we're talking about a Raptor honour. He brought us that championship. Yeah he had help. Jordan's number is retired. Steve Kerr's and Dennis Rodman's aren't.

Jordan was an easy decision.. he played there for his entire career (sort of) and is a GOAT. But my point is, Raptors may never win another. And Kawhi got us that one. He was Jordanesque. He should deserve more than just a name on the banner with everyone else's. Statue is way too much. His jersey should be retired IMO.
                              Jordan posted dominate numbers for 1,200 games for the Bulls.
                              Kawhi Leonard posted dominate numbers for 84 games for the Raptors.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                                ... Why do they care though? We have an emotional tie to Toronto but why them as a sales pitch?
                                Having your jersey retired anywhere has to be a big time honour right?

Comment

Working...
                                X