No announcement yet.

Everything Masai Ujiri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this dude is also suing the NBA. i wonder how taking on the NBA's lawyers will go for him?

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

Violent predisposition sound like a subtle racist descriptive to me. Seems to me this guy didn't think a well dressed black man could be the president of the Toronto Raptors and tried to prevent him from entering the court.
      Wish there was more video footage of this cause i bet if the full encounter came out on tape this guy would be fucked
      I agree with everything but your first sentence.

Saying he's also suing "Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment (MLSE) and the NBA, arguing that "they knew, or should have known" that Ujiri "had a violent predisposition and propensity for physical violence" sounds more like his lawyer has unearthed something in Masai's past (likely minor) like a fight or altercation they can use to show prior character. It's not an unusual action to take and would have been, had Masai been black, white or purple.

The only reasonable question is whether Masai's credentials were visible (from all reports I read, they were not immediately), whether the idiot cop used excessive force to block him and was it moreso than if Masai was white and then whether Masai assaulted a uniformed police officer in anything other than self defense.

I know we all love Masai and want to believe he was assaulted by a racist police officer and did absolutely zero to provoke that reaction and never laid a hand on the police officer in return.....but I'll wait until the facts come out; as we said at the time, someone has video which is likely why they never pursued charges in the first place.

Immediately jumping to the race card (from the quote) in this case is not called for. It could well be from the event. jmo

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Saying he's also suing "Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment (MLSE) and the NBA, arguing that "they knew, or should have known" that Ujiri "had a violent predisposition and propensity for physical violence" sounds more like his lawyer has unearthed something in Masai's past (likely minor) like a fight or altercation they can use to show prior character. It's not an unusual action to take and would have been, had Masai been black, white or purple.

The only reasonable question is whether Masai's credentials were visible (from all reports I read, they were not immediately), whether the idiot cop used excessive force to block him and was it moreso than if Masai was white and then whether Masai assaulted a uniformed police officer in anything other than self defense.

I know we all love Masai and want to believe he was assaulted by a racist police officer and did absolutely zero to provoke that reaction and never laid a hand on the police officer in return.....but I'll wait until the facts come out; as we said at the time, someone has video which is likely why they never pursued charges in the first place.

Immediately jumping to the race card (from the quote) in this case is not called for. It could well be from the event. jmo
        https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/...me-6-incident/

Why didn't DA office pursue the issue?

California prosecutors announced Tuesday that they won’t charge Toronto Raptors president Masai Ujiri for shoving a sheriff’s deputy after the decisive Game 6 of the NBA Finals on June 13.

The Alameda County district attorney’s office announced the decision as the Raptors were in Toronto receiving their championship rings for defeating the Golden State Warriors.

The DA’s office said it met with Ujiri and his attorneys on Monday and decided the matter was better handled "outside of the courtroom."
        An effort to contact a spokesman for the Sheriff’s Office on Tuesday was unsuccessful. Messages to the Deputy Sheriffs’ Association of Alameda County seeking comment from the deputy weren’t immediately returned.

Ujiri attorney Robert Beles said his client is gratified and said the DA’s office conducted a thorough investigation.

"It was definitely the right conclusion," he said, calling Ujiri "a decent human being and a good man."
        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• This is going to be thrown out or settled. The whole thing is based off of assault the criminal case has already been thrown out.

the officer doesn’t have a leg to stand on. I am sure faces were given to or should have been given to all enforcement during that game. Them detaining MU was their error or his.

it’s was a money grab plain and simple and mlse can drag this out in court if needs be. I think the officer is more liking trying to keep his job. His union has to fight for him
          Last edited by grindhouse; Tue Feb 11, 2020, 02:32 AM.

Comment

• Details keep getting more murky instead of clarified:

"Ujiri went onto the court to join his celebrating team, when Strickland stopped him because Ujiri didn’t provide the proper on-court credential, leading to a shoving match that was partially captured on video.

Several bystanders intervened and Ujiri got onto the court without displaying any credentials."

The story previously was Masai had the credentials in his hand and not hanging around his neck as required.

And now for some lawyer-speak:
            Strickland, however, alleged at the time he suffered a concussion in the altercation. The lawsuit alleges that Ujiri acted "despicably, maliciously, fraudulently and oppressively with the wrongful intent of injuring (Strickland) for an improper and evil motive amounting to malice, and in conscious disregard of the plaintiff’s rights."

So, Masai is now an evil-doer

And finally a dose of humour:
            "The lawsuit also claimed that Kelly Strickland has been deprived of companionship and care as a result of her husband’s alleged injuries."

Sounds like when the cop needs to pop a woody, all he can see is Masai's face on his wife's body lol

"Strickland and his wife, Kelly Strickland, are seeking US$75,000 in general damages, as well as other compensation including punitive damages, lost wages, current and future medical expenses and legal costs."
            Last edited by G__Deane; Tue Feb 11, 2020, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Details keep getting more murky instead of clarified:

"Ujiri went onto the court to join his celebrating team, when Strickland stopped him because Ujiri didn’t provide the proper on-court credential, leading to a shoving match that was partially captured on video.

Several bystanders intervened and Ujiri got onto the court without displaying any credentials."

The story previously was Masai had the credentials in his hand and not hanging around his neck as required.
              Nah, this is all the same as it always has been. The cops always said he didn't display credentials, while the bystanders said (and video footage clearly showed) he had his credentials in his hand.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• What a fucking dickface. These people, no, leeches always get my blood boiling. It's obviously false, concussion??? He obviously experienced it way before because he wasn't in his right mind in the event or was hunting for this situation knowing exactly who Masai is and what he wants to happen.
                Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

The "violent black man" is more than just a racist trope in America, white people actually disproportionately and unnecessarily fear black people - even black kids - a fact we know from disproportionate police violence vs blacks and also from plenty of psychological research re: white reactions to blacks in controlled studies. That this asshat of a cop is actually using a racist stereotype as legal grounds to sue Masai Ujiri is insane. The first judge to look at this should light it on fire and drop it in a trash can.

"This process of dehumanization often leads Americans to view African-American men as larger and more fearsome than they are. This pattern of misperception is troubling. Police officers are often exonerated for killing civilians on the premise that they fired their weapons out of fear for their lives. This issue famously came up in the 2014 killing of Dontre Hamilton, an unarmed black man in Milwaukee who was shot 14 times by Officer Christopher Manney. Officer Manney later portrayed Mr. Hamilton as hulking and muscular, saying he feared being “overpowered.” An autopsy showed that Mr. Hamilton was actually of modest build — 5 feet, 7 inches tall and 169 pounds.

The tragedy of 12-year-old Tamir Rice, who was killed by a Cleveland police officer in 2014 while playing with a toy gun, fits this pattern. An officer at the scene described him as being 20 years old. Black children are often seen as significantly older and more menacing than they actually are. And, research suggests, the automatic presumption of threat provoked by a black face applies even the when the face belongs to a 5-year-old child.

Mr. Goff and his colleagues published a striking set of studies the year Tamir was killed. They found that when a group of mainly white college students were shown photographs of white, black and Latino boys, they overestimated the ages of black boys ages 10 to 17 by an average of 4.5 years. In other words, they perceived 13-year-old boys as adult men — and viewed black children as more culpable for crimes."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/17/o...acks-apes.html
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Nah, this is all the same as it always has been. The cops always said he didn't display credentials, while the bystanders said (and video footage clearly showed) he had his credentials in his hand.
                    Sorry but in court that's the same thing and is actually corroboration evidence. Credentials in your hand means you weren't displaying them. Idiot cop will say they're supposed to be readily viewable using the supplied lanyard around your neck. And he's unfortunately right. It doesn't excuse what happened subsequently but imo, the idiot cop will win the first point debated. That's why it's reported that several bystanders intervened and Ujiri got onto the court without displaying any credentials."

Then you're stuck with fans saying "he should have known who Masai was"

If you've ever been to a political event or trade show where you have to wear your credentials, they stop you EVERY time if you're just carrying them. That's their job.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

The "violent black man" is more than just a racist trope in America, white people actually disproportionately and unnecessarily fear black people - even black kids - a fact we know from disproportionate police violence vs blacks and also from plenty of psychological research re: white reactions to blacks in controlled studies. That this asshat of a cop is actually using a racist stereotype as legal grounds to sue Masai Ujiri is insane. The first judge to look at this should light it on fire and drop it in a trash can.

"This process of dehumanization often leads Americans to view African-American men as larger and more fearsome than they are. This pattern of misperception is troubling. Police officers are often exonerated for killing civilians on the premise that they fired their weapons out of fear for their lives. This issue famously came up in the 2014 killing of Dontre Hamilton, an unarmed black man in Milwaukee who was shot 14 times by Officer Christopher Manney. Officer Manney later portrayed Mr. Hamilton as hulking and muscular, saying he feared being “overpowered.” An autopsy showed that Mr. Hamilton was actually of modest build — 5 feet, 7 inches tall and 169 pounds.

The tragedy of 12-year-old Tamir Rice, who was killed by a Cleveland police officer in 2014 while playing with a toy gun, fits this pattern. An officer at the scene described him as being 20 years old. Black children are often seen as significantly older and more menacing than they actually are. And, research suggests, the automatic presumption of threat provoked by a black face applies even the when the face belongs to a 5-year-old child.

Mr. Goff and his colleagues published a striking set of studies the year Tamir was killed. They found that when a group of mainly white college students were shown photographs of white, black and Latino boys, they overestimated the ages of black boys ages 10 to 17 by an average of 4.5 years. In other words, they perceived 13-year-old boys as adult men — and viewed black children as more culpable for crimes."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/17/o...acks-apes.html
                      Understand what violent predisposition means in this case. These words are very carefully chosen.
                      The have something goofy Masai did in college or in a bar or a locker room that allows them to say "predisposition"
                      If it ever goes to court, it will come out, it will be something minor (to us) but you'll understand.

The cop may be racist but the language in the suit was written by a team of lawyers and words were carefully chosen. jmo
                      Do you really believe a lawyer would suggest that "he's black so obviously has a natural tendency towards violence"???

Comment

Sorry but in court that's the same thing and is actually corroboration evidence. Credentials in your hand means you weren't displaying them. Idiot cop will say they're supposed to be readily viewable using the supplied lanyard around your neck. And he's unfortunately right. It doesn't excuse what happened subsequently but imo, the idiot cop will win the first point debated. That's why it's reported that several bystanders intervened and Ujiri got onto the court without displaying any credentials."

If you've ever been to a political event or trade show where you have to wear your credentials, they stop you EVERY time if you're just carrying them. That's their job.
                        Ya but does Bernie sanders get stopped for his credential or just his staffers and media members? I think big question would be what other people were able to enter the court. Other front office etc. I'm pretty sure one of the beat reporters (I think Micheal Grange) said he just walked onto the court without even coming into contact with anyone and had no one stop and try to check his credentials. With how much footage and people filming is at an NBA finals you would think there is some footage floating around somewhere that shows the entire interaction.
                        To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

I don't think anyone is debating that Masai didn't have his credentials around his neck. The argument from the fans in the area, if I recall correctly, was that plenty of other people without lanyards were getting through no problem, and that upon being stopped, Masai presented the credentials and was still stopped (rather excessively), which initiated the shoving match. I think even the cop's report at the time said he showed his credentials, and called into question which credentials were shown (I believe it was worded that he showed them "aggressively").

In any case, my point was that this is all the same as it has ever been, nothing is new here or muddy compared to before. It's the exact same information that led to the DA not pursuing charges against Masai in the first place.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Alameda County district attorney office dropped the charges and this guy will eventually will. He's just trying to get that settlement money.
                            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                              Alameda County district attorney office dropped the charges and this guy will eventually will. He's just trying to get that settlement money.
                              The problem with the US is that you can file almost any type of lawsuit on contingency, if you can get a lawyer behind you. In Canada, you can only use contingency for certain situations, like wrongful dismissal, car accidents, workplace injury, etc....

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

The problem with the US is that you can file almost any type of lawsuit on contingency, if you can get a lawyer behind you. In Canada, you can only use contingency for certain situations, like wrongful dismissal, car accidents, workplace injury, etc....
                                Footage of the lawyer representing the cop.

To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

Working...
                                X