Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post
    Masai is also an official Canadian. He's one of us

There's making a commitment to a fan base, and then there's MAKING A COMMITMENT!

Comment

• So...do you think Masai would run for political office in Canada? Election year, he's taking photos with our troops in Kuwait. Cozying up to JT. Obv I think he's too good for politics but I don't know what's up with this trip.
      Last edited by Rudy Bargnani; Wed Feb 12, 2020, 10:08 PM.

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
        So...do you think Masai would run for political office in Canada? Election year, he's taking photos with our troops in Kuwait. Cozying up to JT. Obv I think he's too good for politics but I don't know what's up with this trip.
        By the way was I the only one who saw that clip and thought "Wait, we have Canadian troops in Kuwait still?" Bruh I honestly had no idea.

Comment

• nba_4_life wrote: View Post

If players can be paid 20,30,40 million... then so can the best GM in the sport
          Considering that the average NBA franchise is currently worth $2.14 B and they’re talking about the next TV deal in 2025 to be ~ double the last deal, then $20m for a guy who creates as much enterprise value as Masai is literally peanuts in the grand scheme.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Yeah, selfishly I'd like him to stay with the Raptors, but it's almost like Masai really should be doing something bigger than basketball as his full-time gig.
            MLSE lets him do all the other stuff during the season. He is doing bigger things. But lets not underestimate how much the guy likes to be a basketball executive.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Yeah, selfishly I'd like him to stay with the Raptors, but it's almost like Masai really should be doing something bigger than basketball as his full-time gig.
              Masai loves basketball, same as all of us. He has his dream job. Everybody keeps trying to graduate him to his next job until hes president of the world. Hes a basketball Ops president, his passion, and hes got such a great staff under him and so much leeway and good standing built up that he can do it part time and leave Bobby in charge while he goes and improves Africa, his other passion. Dude is where hes content.
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Zak24gege wrote: View Post
                It would be wise for the Raptors ownership to make sure Masai is content. The only question I would have at this point is the same one Grange posed in a recent piece. How much longer does Masai want to continue with the basketball gig. He's an ambitious guy with interests in areas beyond sports. Fortunately, his salary and position allows him the means to play a leadership role in some of these areas. Hard to match $'s in the public domain.
                I didn't read the aforementioned Grange piece, but in a nutshell, what did he feel were Masai's aspirations beyond those tied into sports. Everything I have read says he has great aspirations for Africa but they entirely involve basketball. You think he's qualified to be CEO of FEDEX or APPLE?

Comment

So...do you think Masai would run for political office in Canada? Election year, he's taking photos with our troops in Kuwait. Cozying up to JT. Obv I think he's too good for politics but I don't know what's up with this trip.
                  There's no money in politics (if you're clean)

Comment

No downside for his Giants of Africa and African Basketball League if he gets to spend more time hobnobbing with the leaders of African nations alongside Trudeau.

Comment

• This is pretty hilarious, from The Ringer...

Savage off the top, and then watch the sketch as well... 🤣

Comment

• Any truth to the rumor that Masai offered to mentor Kenny the Jet Smith for a front office role with the Raptors. Apparently this was last season during the title run.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                          Any truth to the rumor that Masai offered to mentor Kenny the Jet Smith for a front office role with the Raptors. Apparently this was last season during the title run.
                          Don't think it's a rumor. Smith says Ujiri called him and made the offer.

Comment

• I had no idea this actually happened. I wonder what the motive was for Ujiri, as Smith doesn't strike me as a numbers guy or that is particularly well connected with players.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Don't think it's a rumor. Smith says Ujiri called him and made the offer.
                              Kenny sounds a little sketchy here, its been a pretty poorly kept secret that he's been wanting a high profile job for an NBA team the last couple years, and the quotes sound very one sided and self serving..

https://www.forbes.com/sites/shlomos.../#12702d822b5c

“He called me one day,” Smith said Thursday in Chicago at the House Of Blues, “and I didn’t know him,”

It was last season during Toronto’s championship run, Smith said, that Ujiri hit him up with a fascinating proposal.

“He was like ‘hey man, do you mind if I mentor you’” Smith said, “because I think you’d be good at this.’”

His unique success story made what Smith said Ujiri told him even more surprising.

“‘The things that I could do, I think you could do,’” Smith said, recalling his conversation. “‘And some of the things I see on television, I could never do.’”

Whether or not the 54-year-old Smith ever ends up leaving Inside The NBA for a managerial role, he clearly has the desire for it. And though he didn’t take up the offer to be mentored, at least this time, that’s what made last season’s unprompted phone call from Ujiri so shocking to him.

“I always had the aspiration,” Smith said, “but to have a guy like that call you out of the blue, not even knowing what my aspirations were? That was intriguing.”
                              Soooo, Ujiri had no idea you had aspirations to be a GM, he just called you one day, and said "hey man, could I mentor you? I think you'd be great at this, and I could never do your TV stuff!"

I'm sure there was a conversation, but Kenny makes it sounded very one sided, like people are dying to work with Kenny.
                              Last edited by KeonClark; Wed Feb 19, 2020, 02:13 PM.
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Kenny sounds a little sketchy here, its been a pretty poorly kept secret that he's been wanting a high profile job for an NBA team the last couple years, and the quotes sound very one sided and self serving..

https://www.forbes.com/sites/shlomos.../#12702d822b5c

Soooo, Ujiri had no idea you had aspirations to be a GM, he just called you one day, and said "hey man, could I mentor you? I think you'd be great at this, and I could never do your TV stuff!"

I'm sure there was a conversation, but Kenny makes it sounded very one sided, like people are dying to work with Kenny.
                                i think if we know the kenny wants to be a GM. masai would too. Dudes been talking about it on national tv for the past 3 years. its no secret ken
                                To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

Working...
                                X