• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preach!
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
      Masai Ujiri coming to Toronto has got to be one of the best things to ever happen in Canadian sports history. This guy is the most important figure in Raptors franchise history. Jerry Krause has a banner hanging from the rafters at the the UC. Masai deserves to have his own banner one day and a statue outside of ACC.

"The conversation can no longer be avoided because it is hard. We have to have it. Now."
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

"The conversation can no longer be avoided because it is hard. We have to have it. Now."
        I'm mixed race from West Indies and have medium-dark skin and I'm really deflated that we still need to have these "conversations" in 2020. I grew up in the 70s & 80s and remember my parents driving by a police car and then cops doing a 180 and pulling us over. 2 suburban parents and 4 kids on the way to family picnic or just going home. It happened multiple times.

Fortunately, nothing deadly ever happened and things are definitely better now, but to this day I still get a feeling of panic whenever a see a police car in my rear view mirror.... like I'm guilty of something for no reason. That feeling absolutely sucks. Any of my Caucasian brothers & sisters out there get that same feeling when you see a cop? Or do you feel more protected?

F*ck conversations, just starting doing. It's really quite simple:

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. "

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

I'm mixed race from West Indies and have medium-dark skin and I'm really deflated that we still need to have these "conversations" in 2020. I grew up in the 70s & 80s and remember my parents driving by a police car and then cops doing a 180 and pulling us over. 2 suburban parents and 4 kids on the way to family picnic or just going home. It happened multiple times.

Fortunately, nothing deadly ever happened and things are definitely better now, but to this day I still get a feeling of panic whenever a see a police car in my rear view mirror.... like I'm guilty of something for no reason. That feeling absolutely sucks. Any of my Caucasian brothers & sisters out there get that same feeling when you see a cop? Or do you feel more protected?

I'm caucasian and I do feel the same way, more paranoid than protected.
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

I'm caucasian and I do feel the same way, more paranoid than protected.
            Just knowing you from your posts, Keon, I get the feeling that you probably should be pulled over and searched. j/k.

I will say this: I don't know why everybody has been so anxious to shut down all the political talk here on RR. It's probably one of the best discussion boards going right now. Yeah sure, there are a few offensive words and subjects that get tossed out there from time-to-time, but it's well worth the lack of censorship to push the boundaries and get informed from different viewpoints.

This group is generally respectful and self-moderating for the most part, which is next to impossible to find on the internet, and that's all we need to do in real life.

Comment

That's my President!

Comment

• Sonny wrote: View Post

That's my President!
                I'm old enough to remember Obama wanting to have difficult conversations...…

Wouldn't a more effective line be "we need to stop talking and start implement difficult solutions to the problems and here are my specific suggestions"?

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Wouldn't a more effective line be "we need to stop talking and start implement difficult solutions to the problems and here are my specific suggestions"?
                  It starts and ends with better police training and internal discipline. A subdued man in cuffs got 10 minutes of a knee to the neck while he begs for mercy. By the sounds of things, this cop should have been fired, and perhaps arrested, long before he met floyd. The old boys club protecting each other gives cops in America entirely too much leeway to abuse. You can execute your Job safely and protect yourself without suffocating a harmless person to death. There's no overlap or grey area here.

There's no room for a single bad apple in policing. The bad apple spoils the bunch.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

+1000000 likes
                    Last edited by golden; Mon Jun 1, 2020, 03:52 PM.

Comment

... Any of my Caucasian brothers & sisters out there get that same feeling when you see a cop? Or do you feel more protected?

I am absolutely certain that I have never in my life had anything remotely like the feeling that people of colour have had to feel on a regular basis. I don't understand what goes on in a police officers head when they see a person of colour. I'm not judging, I just can't comprehend what it is. They do searches and take downs of skinheads, bikers, drug operations and domestic beating calls, and it seems like white people don't wind up getting shot. I find it hard to believe that any police officer gets up in the morning and looks for an opportunity to shoot down a person of colour, but it keeps happening. Calling police racist doesn't explain what is going on. Prejudice doesn't explain whatis goin on. I wish I could look into a shooter cops head. There is something broken in there. Until we can determine exactly what it is, and stop hiring cops that are broken that way, this shit will keep happening. All the sensitivity training in the world isn't going to change it. They need a better filter.

Comment

Just knowing you from your posts, Keon, I get the feeling that you probably should be pulled over and searched. j/k.

I will say this: I don't know why everybody has been so anxious to shut down all the political talk here on RR. It's probably one of the best discussion boards going right now. Yeah sure, there are a few offensive words and subjects that get tossed out there from time-to-time, but it's well worth the lack of censorship to push the boundaries and get informed from different viewpoints.

This group is generally respectful and self-moderating for the most part, which is next to impossible to find on the internet, and that's all we need to do in real life.
                        I think this generally is a very respectful forum in the overall scheme of things, especially now that the only source of conversations revolve around non-sports.

Regarding the deleted pages experienced here, I can almost guarantee some posters complained about the recent strange "communist" talk (I believe that poster was banned?) and wouldn't be surprised if someone else complained about Goldblum's and my differing opinions on the looting/rioting/demonstrating where at least one person sees everything in the world as racist these days.

I see other forums where the language (everything was f-bomb all the time around here awhile ago too) and personal attacks are brutal. But you have to imagine that out of every 100 posters, 10 are just teens or losers who like nothing better then to flame everything for the sport.

We have it pretty good here, all things considered but sports can't come back soon enough to level things out.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

I am absolutely certain that I have never in my life had anything remotely like the feeling that people of colour have had to feel on a regular basis. I don't understand what goes on in a police officers head when they see a person of colour. I'm not judging, I just can't comprehend what it is. They do searches and take downs of skinheads, bikers, drug operations and domestic beating calls, and it seems like white people don't wind up getting shot. I find it hard to believe that any police officer gets up in the morning and looks for an opportunity to shoot down a person of colour, but it keeps happening. Calling police racist doesn't explain what is going on. Prejudice doesn't explain whatis goin on. I wish I could look into a shooter cops head. There is something broken in there. Until we can determine exactly what it is, and stop hiring cops that are broken that way, this shit will keep happening. All the sensitivity training in the world isn't going to change it. They need a better filter.
                          There are some interesting psychology studies of how people respond to persons of various ethnicities. One of the details I remember is a study where whites consistently overestimate the age and size of black males. It's consistent and measurable, so people speculate a 160 lbs 16 year old kid is a 200 lbs 20 year old. Stuff like that.
                          ​​​​​
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

There are some interesting psychology studies of how people respond to persons of various ethnicities. One of the details I remember is a study where whites consistently overestimate the age and size of black males. It's consistent and measurable, so people speculate a 160 lbs 16 year old kid is a 200 lbs 20 year old. Stuff like that.
                            ​​​​​
                            To be fair, lebron DID look 35 and 250 lbs in 12th grade

Comment

• Greg Oden in high school looked like a 20 yr NBA vet.

KeonClark wrote: View Post

To be fair, lebron DID look 35 and 250 lbs in 12th grade

Comment

• Kareem is still the GOAT and it ain't even close. Has MJ even said anything yet?

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...ed-to-the-edge

Comment

Working...
                                X