Everything Masai Ujiri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.R. wrote: View Post
    Nah, Masai took his swings at re-signing Kawhi then at Giannis and he whiffed and it cost the team some lost opportunity. Some of you guys who are now blaming Masai for a middling team are glossing over his two attempts in the last two years to get top 5 players here. Those attempts came with a cost.

He could have played it safe, secured more talent (but not top 30 talent), but he swung for the fences and here we are. Presumably working their way back to the plate for the next swing.

I won't even bother speculating what he does next, I have no idea.
    To be fair, when you swing and miss, you gotta be prepared to take the heat for the whiff .....

Comment

• https://www.si.com/nba/raptors/news/...rt-masai-ujiri

Apologies if this has already been posted. Believed Bobby's deal is done and closing in on a short-term deal for Masai

Comment

• Fuchan wrote: View Post
        https://www.si.com/nba/raptors/news/...rt-masai-ujiri

Apologies if this has already been posted. Believed Bobby's deal is done and closing in on a short-term deal for Masai
        awesome link. Hopefully it's true. Good news
        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

awesome link. Hopefully it's true. Good news
          it's good news about bobby but not sure about masai. the quote makes it sound like he's biding his time for a better opportunity, though i have no idea who jonah sidel is or how reliable his sauces are

Comment

https://www.si.com/nba/raptors/news/...rt-masai-ujiri

If the give Webster a 3-5 year deal and Masai takes a 1 year extension, it doesn't instill much confidence frankly

Comment

• It's hard for me to take Doug Smith seriously. He lost his insight into the team once Colangelo got fired and Masai cleaned house. And from the quote it seemed like he was just providing his own observation and isn't presenting any kind of fact.

Let's hope he's right about Bobby and wrong about Masai. A short term deal for Masai would actually really suck. That's literally one foot out the door then.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Let's hope he's right about Bobby and wrong about Masai. A short term deal for Masai would actually really suck. That's literally one foot out the door then.
                Maybe, maybe not. If I were him I'd certainly leave my options open....doesn't mean I'd necessarily leave but I would want the bargaining power if nothing else, especially cause you can only play that card once or twice and then ownership is going demand a commitment one way or another. He's in the driver seat now but that doesn't last forever.....

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Maybe, maybe not. If I were him I'd certainly leave my options open....doesn't mean I'd necessarily leave but I would want the bargaining power if nothing else, especially cause you can only play that card once or twice and then ownership is going demand a commitment one way or another. He's in the driver seat now but that doesn't last forever.....
                  I can see Masai maintaining his bargaining power. His stock has never been higher right now, doesn't make sense to lock himself up long term unless it's a sweetheart deal. If Masai wants ownership stake, MLSE should be falling over themselves to get this done, which I hope is the case.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                    It's hard for me to take Doug Smith seriously. He lost his insight into the team once Colangelo got fired and Masai cleaned house. And from the quote it seemed like he was just providing his own observation and isn't presenting any kind of fact.

The Seattle NBA expansion with Tim Lieweke recruiting Masai makes a ton of sense. After stoking the expansion fires recently, Adam Silver just announced that they wouldn’t be looking at expansion again until 2022. Masai has probably been waiting on clarity of timing before re-upping. He’ll be like Lebron and keep signing a 1+1 every year, Lol.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

The Seattle NBA expansion with Tim Lieweke recruiting Masai makes a ton of sense. After stoking the expansion fires recently, Adam Silver just announced that they wouldn’t be looking at expansion again until 2022. Masai has probably been waiting on clarity of timing before re-upping. He’ll be like Lebron and keep signing a 1+1 every year, Lol.
                      Hey, when you have an elite talent, you give them whatever they want. I'll take however many years Masai wants to give.

But I do think when he leaves, it will probably be for bigger things, not the same stuff with another team.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Hey, when you have an elite talent, you give them whatever they want. I'll take however many years Masai wants to give.

But I do think when he leaves, it will probably be for bigger things, not the same stuff with another team.
                        Well, if MLSE isn't open to giving an ownership stake, and Seattle is offering founder level equity in a new franchise, then that's definitely a new level for Masai.

Comment

I can see Masai maintaining his bargaining power. His stock has never been higher right now, doesn't make sense to lock himself up long term unless it's a sweetheart deal. If Masai wants ownership stake, MLSE should be falling over themselves to get this done, which I hope is the case.
                          Masai still has all the bargaining power but "his stock has never been higher" is untrue. There are actually cracks in the armour now and he's facing his first minor but well deserved criticism as to how he's handled Gasol/Serge/Giannis/Len/Baynes and the contract for Bobby and himself. His next test will be handling the trading/re-signing or losing of Lowry and my biggest fear (more than letting him walk) is to overpay him on a multi year contract to avoid the optics of yet another star player walking for nothing.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Masai still has all the bargaining power but "his stock has never been higher" is untrue. There are actually cracks in the armour now and he's facing his first minor but well deserved criticism as to how he's handled Gasol/Serge/Giannis/Len/Baynes and the contract for Bobby and himself. His next test will be handling the trading/re-signing or losing of Lowry and my biggest fear (more than letting him walk) is to overpay him on a multi year contract to avoid the optics of yet another star player walking for nothing.
                            Well Lowry has already re-signed with the Raptors before. I'd say its illogical to expect every star player the Raptors get to stay with the team until they retire.

Obviously best case scenario would be either you trade him for assets or you bring him back on a good deal.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

He would be sought after by 29 teams if he became available. The idea that he's never faced criticism before is bizarre. He was hammered in the local press for cleaning house within weeks of arriving! He was criticized for how he handled the Derozan deal, Casey, etc. Ujiri's image is only tarnished right now among a small slice of the hard core fan base that has particular ideas about where the team should be headed....

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

He would be sought after by 29 teams if he became available. The idea that he's never faced criticism before is bizarre. He was hammered in the local press for cleaning house within weeks of arriving! He was criticized for how he handled the Derozan deal, Casey, etc. Ujiri's image is only tarnished right now among a small slice of the hard core fan base that has particular ideas about where the team should be headed....
                                I didn't say he's never faced criticism before. It's the first real time since the chip and the idea that he can do no wrong is changing.
                                Bringing Giannis here would have cemented him as a small g basketball god in Toronto. Now he just has to build this back into a serious ECF or finals contender which I don't think they are except in an anything-can-happen NBA way.

And I don't think he was really criticized over DD or Casey, most fans knew it had to happen and almost everyone recognized that he had even given them one year longer to try try again. DD for Kawhi especially was understood as too bad but 100% understandable, you do that 100X out of 100 regardless of the outcome. Still, he was uber fortunate it worked out.
                                Last edited by G__Deane; Tue Jan 26, 2021, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X