Everything Masai Ujiri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
    I haven't read the article yet. Does he define "investment" vs "charity" or is it semantics?
    Yes he does. Investment is expecting a financial return. (I realize the article is a subscription thing)

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

read the article lol
      OK I did. Yes and no
      It was a little more surface than I was hoping but the passion he has for Africa opportunities shines through
      Last edited by G__Deane; Fri May 28, 2021, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• I guess that was a message to MLSE
        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
          I guess that was a message to MLSE
          That was my thought too. NBA teams have their own G league teams and the next step is to push MLSE to make and investment and buy or invest in an NBA Africa team.

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post

That was my thought too. NBA teams have their own G league teams and the next step is to push MLSE to make and investment and buy or invest in an NBA Africa team.
            Great idea. But I wonder if that contravenes the agreement the owners sign when they get into the NBA? Something about having too much influence on young players. But it does work with G League. Allowing involvement would really help get the league off to a quick start. And might attract a ton of additional African fans to the affiliated NBA team.

Comment

• Hmmmm....I was leaning WNBA team but you might be on to something. Asking them to believe what he believes in them and invest. But I agree, not sure of the competitive rules around that

Comment

• Masai did a similar thing when the Nuggets hired him as GM. He asked them to contribute a significant amount ($1M??) to his African initiatives. He was willing to walk away if they didn’t do it. If this is the ask and MLSE balks... Masai walks?

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                  Masai did a similar thing when the Nuggets hired him as GM. He asked them to contribute a significant amount ($1M??) to his African initiatives. He was willing to walk away if they didn’t do it. If this is the ask and MLSE balks... Masai walks?
                  What about player empowerment? A couple of them should buy a team too. lebron could own the Kabale Klutch
                  Why should the NBA owners get all the glory?

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

Great idea. But I wonder if that contravenes the agreement the owners sign when they get into the NBA? Something about having too much influence on young players. But it does work with G League. Allowing involvement would really help get the league off to a quick start. And might attract a ton of additional African fans to the affiliated NBA team.
                    It would be interesting if MLSE bought the team in Masai's name. As part of the new deal, so that no money comes out of his pocket. If lebron can own multiple sports teams (albeit not basketball), I don't see why Masai can't own a African basketball team. I don't know if thats kosher, but it would be cool if that's the cherry that gets him to resign.

Comment

• Shredder wrote: View Post

It would be interesting if MLSE bought the team in Masai's name. As part of the new deal, so that no money comes out of his pocket. If lebron can own multiple sports teams (albeit not basketball), I don't see why Masai can't own a African basketball team. I don't know if thats kosher, but it would be cool if that's the cherry that gets him to resign.
                      Of course, owners of an NBA team situated in North America purchasing a team located on the African continent would be open to claims of "colonialist mindset" or something similar. If they took a minority ownership and had an African born front office and a lot of the staff and coaching positions were African born, then they would clearly be investing in the enterprise. If the ownership group arranged for collaborative activities between the US/Canadian staff and the African staff, it would be a great thing. It wouldn't take long before it was a hands off deal, with close connections between professionals.

Having said all that I have no idea of the number of Africans trained and experienced in the different aspects of running a sports franchise. Certainly there is experience with regards to soccer. Tasks would be roughly similar.

Comment

• When can we expect Masai to make his decision? he's currently a free agent right? so is he going to be a part of the draft process?
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                          When can we expect Masai to make his decision? he's currently a free agent right? so is he going to be a part of the draft process?
                          Pretty sure his contract runs through June.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                            When can we expect Masai to make his decision? he's currently a free agent right? so is he going to be a part of the draft process?
                            Monday Night..when Leafs lose..that's one way 2 get the heat of Maple Laughs..than you'll c Masai sign 😉
                            "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                            My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

• Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post

Monday Night..when Leafs lose..that's one way 2 get the heat of Maple Laughs..than you'll c Masai sign 😉

Comment

• I love that "Masai" is trending after the Boston news breaks

Comment

Working...
                                X