Everything Masai Ujiri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post

Yes, the smart teams sell every player on their championship roster as soon as the parade is over to make sure none of them leave without getting a pick back.

I can think of several ways in which the Philly deadline offer could be worse than this.
    Ok Dan ya just let your all star players contracts expire 👍🏻

Comment

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post

Relax man first of all. Bosh Vince Tmac? Nothing to do with this current organization. Second of all Raptors turned their best asset in Derozan into Kawhi.,
      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

I know what a board is... which is why I found it odd that the presser didn't just say Vice Chairman of MLSE. That's a really big deal. Otherwise, it's kind of a symbolic title. I hope it really is MLSE.

Either way, great for Masai and great for us. Never in doubt.
        As i understand it, MLSE is a company and has a board of directors. The directors provide oversight and advice to MLSE, the company which has a CEO, President, VP and the various Presidents of the Leafs, the Raptors, etc. There is no Vice Chairman of MLSE, but there is a Vice Chairman of the MLSE Board of Directors.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

As i understand it, MLSE is a company and has a board of directors. The directors provide oversight and advice to MLSE, the company which has a CEO, President, VP and the various Presidents of the Leafs, the Raptors, etc. There is no Vice Chairman of MLSE, but there is a Vice Chairman of the MLSE Board of Directors.
          Yeah, I know all that and how it works. I've chaired corporate boards before. But there is no mention of MLSE in relation to Masai's Vice-Chair title... only Raptors. That's what I found odd. Like PM said, there is no "Raptors Board of Directors".

A vice-chairman position or even a non-chair board seat on MLSE's BoD is pretty damn heavyweight. It's usually family members of major shareholders (e.g. Rogers family, Tanenbaum), CEOs, and some high-end mover/shakers (e.g. Lastman) as independents. Usually you will need a strong business background to get one of those seats on an organization like MLSE.

My question is: which BoD is Masai actually on? If it really is MLSE's BoD, then that's a huge breakthrough and I'm thrilled for Masai and MLSE for being so progressive.

Comment

• They made up a position for Masai. Don't really care if it's symbolic or not as long he's here

Comment

• Would be great if it's the MLSE Board + ownership stake, also wonder if it's vice chair of the foundation, their work aligns with a lot of what Masai's about https://www.mlsefoundation.org/about-us/who-we-are
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Yeah, a shame how they just let Vince Carter's deal expire.

But, also, yeah. Keep your star players for as long as you can. There is value inherent in having talent on the roster.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Bosh and Vince both re-signed with the Raptors and I disagree with them being included in 'not wanting to be in Toronto' takes. They gave the franchise years and multiple contracts and the team sucked and eventually they wanted out, that happens anywhere. T-Mac I think the fairly consensus take was he was in a 'want my own team' situation in an era where every guard and wing player was trying to be the next MJ, it wasn't about Toronto.

The real issue is if you have too many Steve Francis/Grizzlies type situations. Otherwise Toronto as a FA destination (or not) is in the same boat as 85% of the NBA. A couple franchises have an advantage and the rest don't, it's that simple.
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                    Bosh and Vince both re-signed with the Raptors and I disagree with them being included in 'not wanting to be in Toronto' takes. They gave the franchise years and multiple contracts and the team sucked and eventually they wanted out, that happens anywhere. T-Mac I think the fairly consensus take was he was in a 'want my own team' situation in an era where every guard and wing player was trying to be the next MJ, it wasn't about Toronto.

The real issue is if you have too many Steve Francis/Grizzlies type situations. Otherwise Toronto as a FA destination (or not) is in the same boat as 85% of the NBA. A couple franchises have an advantage and the rest don't, it's that simple.
                    T-Mac was also literally a CBA-changing event. They introduced restricted free agency after that.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Yeah, I know all that and how it works. I've chaired corporate boards before. But there is no mention of MLSE in relation to Masai's Vice-Chair title... only Raptors. That's what I found odd. Like PM said, there is no "Raptors Board of Directors".

A vice-chairman position or even a non-chair board seat on MLSE's BoD is pretty damn heavyweight. It's usually family members of major shareholders (e.g. Rogers family, Tanenbaum), CEOs, and some high-end mover/shakers (e.g. Lastman) as independents. Usually you will need a strong business background to get one of those seats on an organization like MLSE.

My question is: which BoD is Masai actually on? If it really is MLSE's BoD, then that's a huge breakthrough and I'm thrilled for Masai and MLSE for being so progressive.
                      My point was, if there's only one Board associated with MLSE, and none with the individual sports entities, that might explain why they didn't specify which Board he was appointed Vice Chairman to. Unless they secretly created a new Board and are keeping it quiet, while announcing his vice chairmanship of it. The fact that it is a huge promotion might be one of the reasons why it took so long to come through.

Comment

Im talking after the championship obviously. You guys think the Lowry situation was handled well? His value went down each day after the championship. Theres no way the philly deadline offer was worse than this
                        No, not obviously, this is what you said:

"but bosh, tmac, vince now lowry and 32 all star appearances for basically nothing in return. Cant keep doing that"

Bosh, Tmac, Vince, were all WAY before the championship, not after.

How in the world would anyone interpret what you wrote as talking about after the championship?

Not to mention Masai was not the GM for any of those guys except Lowry, and he won a championship with Lowry.

How many 36 year old guards have you seen bring a better return via S&T than what we just got for Lowry? Hell, 30+ year old guards?

We almost went to the championship again the year after, it didn't make sense to blow the team up right away. After that the team was too old and the old guys declined too hard so we started to rebuild.

The best argument I could give in support of your complaint is we could have traded Lowry before last season to get a better return, but that would be some cold shit to do to Lowry, our greatest player ever.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

No, not obviously, this is what you said:

"but bosh, tmac, vince now lowry and 32 all star appearances for basically nothing in return. Cant keep doing that"

Bosh, Tmac, Vince, were all WAY before the championship, not after.

How in the world would anyone interpret what you wrote as talking about after the championship?

Not to mention Masai was not the GM for any of those guys except Lowry, and he won a championship with Lowry.

How many 36 year old guards have you seen bring a better return via S&T than what we just got for Lowry? Hell, 30+ year old guards?

We almost went to the championship again the year after, it didn't make sense to blow the team up right away. After that the team was too old and the old guys declined too hard so we started to rebuild.

The best argument I could give in support of your complaint is we could have traded Lowry before last season to get a better return, but that would be some cold shit to do to Lowry, our greatest player ever.
                          People were saying lowry got us a championship and i said trade after the championship.

i know the other players were before masai im just saying as an organization in general this team doesnt sell high. For the record I was on message boards saying trade vince way before he was traded. I said we got vince and our second best scorer was mopete averaging 12.5 pts a game. There was no money and we were in no mans land for draft seeding. Of course everyone said no way we were just in the playoffs cant blow the team up now. Then the drama and injuries and all that and we wound up with shit all for vince then years of bad ball. Bosh saying he was going to consider all his offers meanwhile he knew exactly where he was gonna go. As soon as he didnt sign the extension he shudda been on the trading block. TMac said same hed consider all offers then didnt even have a meeting with grunwald. And sure masai traded DD I said we’d never win (no team will) with DD as their primary scorer. But ya a lot of people were pissed because DD loved Toronto.

yes lowry shudda been traded earlier its not a cold thing to do he said he wanted money he wasnt being warm and fuzzy - or make sure your giving him an offer he cant refuse. One or the other

all im saying is I was at skydome game 1 in 95 and over the years we could have gotten more for our stars. The only time this team did take a chance with one of our stars we won a championship

Comment

• Dude if Masai could have traded Lowry for a Kawhi Leonard he would have.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Ugh

Comment

Ugh
                                you wanted to trade Lowry in 2019-20 season when we were 2nd in the East before bubble and covid hit? i'm calling bullshit

Comment

Working...
                                X