Everything Masai Ujiri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

I mean according to climate change scientists by 2035 Toronto is going to become a Mediterranean climate region.
    Bronny James II 2035!!
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

Lol.
      You do realize that it's the exec that makes many of those things happen.
      Lol. No dude, the exec is not going to affect the overall quality of life in the city (as seen by the player), brand exposure in the market, family desires, even minutes/role (that's primarily the coach). All the other stuff more under the exec control (development program, coach selection, winning culture, medical staff etc..) we're already around the top of the league. It's California/NY/Miami vs the rest son. Have you seen a player say they want out of their current team to go play in Minnesota or Utah? I don't like it either but it's the way it is. Put Masai in LA and Jerry West here for 7 years and see who gets more quality free agents. Spoiler: it won't be jerry west I can tell you that.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

The attraction wasn't the executive in of itself, it was the market. If Masai is in La or Miami, there are free agents falling on his lap too, you can bet
        I wasn't talking about adding big name/superstar free agents. We already know the Raptors are not a free agent destination. I was talking about bench players and role players.

The best player Masai has signed in his 9 years here is Bismack Biyombo.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Can Masai turn up the heat in the city? it's -20
          Kyle and DeMar learned to love the city.
          One of them even took it really hard when we traded him away.
          Before Riley went and brought success to Miami, were they a destination? No!
          If it's all about that fine weather, why are there zero free agents that's lining up in Orlando? Or Dallas, or San Antonio?
          New Orleans is a fine city but no big names are dying to get there coz they don't take good care of their players.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

Kyle and DeMar learned to love the city.
            One of them even took it really hard when we traded him away.
            Before Riley went and brought success to Miami, were they a destination? No!
            If it's all about that fine weather, why are there zero free agents that's lining up in Orlando? Or Dallas, or San Antonio?
            New Orleans is a fine city but no big names are dying to get there coz they don't take good care of their players.
            "learned to love"

I believe in Toronto's ability to resign players. Specifically because of Masai and organization but they are not attracting dudes not familiar with city and organization.

That's why for Raptors it's trading and drafting.

Comment

"learned to love"

I believe in Toronto's ability to resign players. Specifically because of Masai and organization but they are not attracting dude not familiar with city and organization.
              Just wait until Murray, Shai or Barrett want to come home

Comment

• Raptors will never be a destination. Don't even start about it. Get that thought out of you for the rest of your life. Because it will never happen.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

Just wait until Murray, Shai or Barrett want to come home
                  Yeah that's last hope.

Comment

Yeah that's last hope.
                    it will happen but we are looking at waiting a LONG time.

Comment

• You can argue that Toronto itself isn't a FA destination (foreign country, weather) or that Masai has done everything possible (Giants of Africa, overall management group, coaching staff, medical group, ownership willing to spend, 2019 chip etc) but results are results and overall a solid D grading and I'm not expecting a thing this off season except nibbling around the edges again and bench tweaks. Even there, his results are less than stellar. He and Bobby need to hit on a few diamonds in the rough that actually pan out.

External Free Agents signed under Masai (minimum $5M). Am I missing anybody?
                      1/ Aaron Baynes (2 years $14.3M, 2020)
                      2/ Stanley Johnson (2 years, $7.5M, 2019)
                      3/ Jared Sullinger (1 year $6M, 2016)
                      4/ DeMarre Carrol (4 years $60M, 2015)
                      5/ Cory Joseph (4 years $30M, 2015)
                      6/ Tyler Hansbrough (2 years 47.5M, 2013)

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                        You can argue that Toronto itself isn't a FA destination (foreign country, weather) or that Masai has done everything possible (Giants of Africa, overall management group, coaching staff, medical group, ownership willing to spend, 2019 chip etc) but results are results and overall a solid D grading and I'm not expecting a thing this off season except nibbling around the edges again and bench tweaks. Even there, his results are less than stellar. He and Bobby need to hit on a few diamonds in the rough that actually pan out.

Hansbrough was 6.5 over 2, definitely not 24m a year haha

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post

Hansbrough was 6.5 over 2, definitely not 24m a year haha
                          Whoops not sure where that typo came from lol

Comment

You can argue that Toronto itself isn't a FA destination (foreign country, weather) or that Masai has done everything possible (Giants of Africa, overall management group, coaching staff, medical group, ownership willing to spend, 2019 chip etc) but results are results and overall a solid D grading and I'm not expecting a thing this off season except nibbling around the edges again and bench tweaks. Even there, his results are less than stellar. He and Bobby need to hit on a few diamonds in the rough that actually pan out.

So, we should probably fix that Hansbrough number first! I thought that was closer to $2 million per season.

It's hard to judge free agency because they've really had no cap room since 2015, so that means you're playing a small pool with lots of other fish.

The Carroll signing made lots of sense at the time but the guy was damaged goods, which is certainly partly on them but also just unlucky. The Baynes deal looked okay to me when they signed him but it turned out he was as washed as Gasol and Ibaka.

Other than that, they've been signing backups and low-cost guys to fill out the roster and be stop-gaps, so that's unlikely to look all that good at the end of the day.

I do think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the guys they want to come to Toronto don't want to come to Toronto and so they are often left with picking from a list of guys who aren't in demand for a reason. Looking at the '22 free agency pool, hard to see that changing.

Comment

You're missing his best free agent signing with your completely arbitrary $5M cutoff (which also would exclude Hansbrough). A rather huge omission.

Fred Van Vleet (2 years $1.8M, 2016)

Here are some more you missed and I'm going to ignore the completely unnecessary $5M cutoff.

James Johnson (2 years $5M, 2014)
                              Luis Scola (1 year $2.9M, 2015)
                              Bismack Biyombo (1 year $2.8M, 2015)
                              Chris Boucher (2 years $2M, 2018)
                              Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (1 year $2.5M, 2019)
                              Terrence Davis (2 years $2.4M, 2019) [turned into a 2nd round pick]
                              Matt Thomas (2 years $2.4M, 2019) [turned into a 2nd round pick]
                              OShae Brisset (2 years, $430K, 2019)

I'd also note he flipped Sullinger for PJ Tucker at the trade deadline, which was a clear win for Toronto.

Considering we never have cap space setting a cutoff for the contracts you look at makes no sense. These are the kind of deals that are going to be available to us this offseason so they seem quite relevant to me as predictors of what Masai and Bobby may do.

Comment

• Even if the Raptors of today would still struggle to land big fish in free agency, it doesn't matter because it's not how Masai builds a team. He doesn't need to pay big fish in free agency to build a winner and the way he builds a team leads to greater longevity. He built a system to develop studs instead of depending on freeing up space to lure other teams' studs. There's more than one winning formula.

If I were to guess, I don't think Toronto would be a highly sought after spot for an American star NBA free agent and that's perfectly fine. The Raptors don't need that appeal to be successful.

Comment

Working...
                                X