GAME 1, 2019 Playoffs, Orlando Magic @ Toronto Raptors, 5pm EST, Sportsnet One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

octothorp wrote: View Post
    Sucks, especially on top of McCaw, but we can manage it. A bit more Powell at SF, maybe even a bit of Boucher at PF?

just gonna have to rotate Siakam Gasol and Ibaka as the bigs. maybe some kawhi at the 4 too. Bouch ain't ready for this moment
    To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

How long will OG be out for?

Comment

We got this.

(OG probably out for 4 weeks?)

Comment

What's wrong with McCaw?

Comment

Maury wrote: View Post
            Sounds like 2-3 weeks is typical for players who have this operation.

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
              What's wrong with McCaw?
              Thumb
              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Maury wrote: View Post
                Basketball is not hockey, but these guys all got back in less than 2 weeks. I also read Rafael Nadal missed a month of tennis with it. Really depends on the surgery. Maybe hear some news later today...it's big blow, we'll need him badly after the first round

Hours after his appendectomy, Jonathan Ericsson had a doctor drive him to Joe Louis Arena, where he rode in on a wheelchair to watch his Detroit Red Wings teammates win the Western Conference title. Three days later, the defenceman was back in the lineup for Game 1 of the 2009 Stanley Cup final.

“We had really good doctors and they told me I could play, nothing worse was going to happen if I played,” Ericsson said. “It was just going to hurt. And it did hurt.”

Ericsson’s rapid recovery may serve as inspiration for Ryan Callahan of the Tampa Bay Lightning, who had an emergency appendectomy Monday night. Coach Jon Cooper said he “wouldn’t rule anything out” about when Callahan could return, and several recent examples show it’s not impossible for an NHL player to be back on the ice soon after that operation.

Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty missed four games and returned eight days after his appendectomy in January 2013. Dallas Stars winger Jamie Benn missed five games and was back within two weeks of his procedure in January 2012.

So when Cooper said Tuesday he’d put Callahan’s return “closer to the days than the weeks,” there’s precedent.

“I think it’s going to be a pain tolerance thing,” Cooper said. “I think it’s something that just because of the way medical practices are today, it’s much easier to come back from than I think in the past.”

Ericsson knows that well. Before his surgery he imagined a big, 10-centimetre scar and a long recovery period, but instead doctors made three small cuts to keep the scarring to a minimum.

It hurt him to walk around without anaesthesia, but once Ericsson got that and returned to the ice two days after the appendectomy, skating was somewhat of a relief because he could make smooth strides. His body got a break from the impact caused by walking.

Any time he stretched he felt the pain, but he trusted doctors when they said he couldn’t make the problem worse by playing.

“It was just a matter of discomfort and there was only a couple of games left,” Ericsson said in a phone interview Tuesday. “There wasn’t really anything to think about.”

The same was true for Brad Richardson in April 2012 when he missed three Los Angeles Kings playoff games before coming back nine days later. Nick Schultz missed five Minnesota Wild playoff games in 2008 and came back 12 days later.

Hall of Fame goaltender Patrick Roy missed a 1994 playoff game with appendicitis before returning to play four more games. He didn’t have his appendix removed until the Canadiens were eliminated.

Because his appendectomy happened mid-season, Benn didn’t have the urgency of getting back for a playoff game. But after a short hospital stint and a few days of pain he was ready to play again.

“Whenever anyone has surgery, they’ve got a lot of drive to get back in the game and to get back pretty quick,” Benn said in a phone interview Tuesday. “It was just something I’d never really felt before. It was definitely nice to get back on the ice and feel like you’re moving in a different way other than just walking around and kind of being stiff all day.”

Pacioretty skated on the Canadiens’ top line with David Desharnais and Erik Cole in his first game back from his appendectomy. He said at the time he let his linemates do “the heavy lifting early on” but had an assist and played like he didn’t miss a step.

Those comebacks could give Callahan hope of doing the same even later this week, but Ericsson cautioned that it’s not a one-size-fits-all situation.

“It worked out for me, but it’s probably different for everyone’s that doing it,” he said. “Everyone’s probably not feeling exactly the same things.”

Cooper said doctors removed Callahan’s appendix before it ruptured, just like with Ericsson and Benn. It would have been a more serious situation had that not happened.

Callahan was released from a Tampa hospital on Tuesday and was feeling “really good,” according to Cooper. It’s playoff time, so there’s no return that would seem too soon.

“If he can get back in a few days, that would be pretty impressive,” Benn said. “It’s that time of year and he’s a big part of that team over there. It’s the playoffs and he’ll do whatever it takes to get back, I’m sure.”
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post

Sounds like 2-3 weeks is typical for players who have this operation.
                  Really depends on whether they were able to do it with laparoscopy or if it required the knife. Recovery period is much quicker for laparoscopy.

Comment

Oh my god I feel so bad for OG. I hope he feels better soon
                    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Damn, I was looking forward to watching OG bounce back in the Playoffs. He played really well last Playoffs and had a lot happen throughout this season.

Comment

Our PF rotation is thin as is.. might have to see some Serge/Gasol action. Would prefer that over Moreland at the 4. Or go really small with Kawhi at the 4.

That sucks.. hope OG is fine for the 3rd or 4th rounds.

Comment

I assume this means one of Lin, Meeks or Miller will see some run. I hope it’s Miller
                          The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Usually these days, Appendectomies are done laparoscopic meaning very small incision guided with ultrasound to remove the appendix.

only when there is abscess or perforation that appendectomies are done as an open surgery.

so recovery is very short for Lap AP. But as an athlete playing a very strenuous sport, may take a bit more time.

2nd round or finals most likely.

heal well OG

Comment

Meh not really that big a loss.
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

Huge blow, what a rough year for OG. Hopefully he can come back by the second round, but who knows how bad his condition is.

I would prefer Nurse runs 8 guys with spot minutes to Meeks or Miller than to actually replace OG. Sure once Raps pull meaningfully ahead go to a 9 man rotation, but I don’t trust anyone else to get real minutes.

Can we just get started !?

Comment

Working...
                                X