No announcement yet.

GAME 1, 2019 Playoffs, Orlando Magic @ Toronto Raptors, 5pm EST, Sportsnet One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OG's had a rough season. On and off the court.

Comment

After watching Casey teams for the last bit, you saw him run the team great throughout the regular season. But by doing so, by putting so much weight on the regular season, you didn't really have a next gear to ramp up to come playoff time.

That's where this teams seams different. It feels like they have almost been jogging out there for stretches of the season. Go up big, take the foot off the gas, lose the lead and then claw it out for a scrappy win (most of the time).

When we really needed a stop, thats where this team looks straight up scary. If that becomes the norm not the exception, this teams will go far. All year I've been salivating at a OG, Kawhi, Siakam lineup. (OG! Man I feel for you kid, come back stronger!) I guess that will have to wait till further down the road.

I even thought about a Green, Kawhi, OG, Siakam, Gasol lineup where Siakam brings the ball up and passes to Gasol to start the offence. This as well will have to wait.

Those are not our only lineups, in fact those aren't really our best lineups. Our starting lineup is solid, like rock solid. Serge and FVV off the bench can allow our starters to get a breather. Obviously Serge for Gasol, but when needed Siakam. Obviously FVV for lowry, but also green and Kawhi (FVV has shown that he can play beside lowry well) Throw in Norm where you need and that's a tight 8 man rotation. If OG comes back strong, sick, he can help out with the bigs rest, If McCaw comes back strong, sweet he can help out with the wings.

Our bench is no longer as strong as a hockey rotation. However we are strong enough to allow our starters rest, and oh man our starters are solid.

I've been a Raptors fan since jump. I was a kid then, that was playing rep ball and was excited to have a local team. Those years sucked, I was stoked to see us be one of the few teams that beat the historical Bulls team, but that was one game in the season. We suffered through a lot. The early years, the Carter years, the post Carter years, The Bosh years, Bargnani, Casey, Derozan. Some good, some bad.

Nonetheless, this year I'm the most optimistic. We finally have a go to # 1 threat. Not a flashing player, like Carter. A bonafide top 5 talent, that alone can take over games. We have a scrappy, competitive point guard that wants a chip more than we know. We have a high IQ, sniper at 2 who can play D like no ones business. We have a mobile 4 that is blowing people's minds on how much he's accomplished this year. A passing big, one of the forefathers of bigs playing outside the paint, who can play D, pass, and score when need be, and he's hungry. We all know he's past his prime, but he's not done yet. He know's like the rest of these players that Championships don't come easy, if at all, and this crew has most of the ingredients. We have a chippy, undersized point guard that has shown that heart matters more than height, and a big off the bench that could start for most of the teams in this league. Our coach is in his rookie season, but he's already shown he can adapt to teams by looking at his success given all the obstacles he has faced this year.

We are a competitive, competent, high IQ, mix of vets and vigour, that has been eloquently orchestrated by one of the best front offices in the business.

We don't know will happen on July 1st. Frankly I'm not even thinking about it (too much). I'm savouring our best chance in franchise history. I'm enjoying the way basketball should be played.

I can't wait for this ride to begin.

Comment

The Great One wrote: View Post
        Teams usually just use 8 players in the playoffs. Starting 5 + VV, Ibaka, Powell.

Again, not that big a deal.
        Yeah.... It has been a really tough year for OG..
        As the season closed it was between him and Norm for the 8th spot in what might be a 8 man playoff rotation and on play.. Norm won the 8th spot.

He brings more size to the table but no disrespect..this is a minor flesh wound. noticeable to be sure. .but not crushing.

He should be back in for round 2 at some point...
        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
        - TGO

Comment

Maury wrote: View Post
          I'm only gonna be able to watch the first half of this game. Can't wait though. Reading the starting lineup is actually incredible, this is one of the most well rounded and accomplished lineups we've seen in the league in a while and would be a surefire title favourite if not for Golden State.
          I think they're 60-40 to beat the Sixers or Celtics and 50/50 to beat the Bucks. What ever the numbers plus the Rockets and Nugs, Rockets etc, I don't see any surefire title even without Golden State.

Comment

Maury wrote: View Post
            How long will OG be out for?
            I had this operation earlier this year, almost burst, in and out same day and back to work, no painkillers.
            Wussy athletes lol
            Last edited by G__Deane; Fri Apr 12, 2019, 09:33 PM.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post

Basketball is not hockey, but these guys all got back in less than 2 weeks. I also read Rafael Nadal missed a month of tennis with it. Really depends on the surgery. Maybe hear some news later today...it's big blow, we'll need him badly after the first round

I'm thinking that there are movements in basketball that are quite foreign to hockey. Jumping vertically, raising your arms above your head, moving laterally, backing up...not sure which or if any of these would make recovery take longer, but it seems that a lot of those moves would call on your midsection to anchor or initiate a muscle motion. As noted in another post, laparoscopy could be quite a bit different than cutting.

Comment

“With the playoffs, you're playing the same team and probably playing more minutes, the focus level is there, so you might shoot a better percentage than you do in an 82-game season,” Leonard said. “So that’s where it comes from, it’s just wanting to win and the shorter period of games and more minutes.”
                my god what a confident quote. Our best player finds playoffs EASIER than regular season.
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post

my god what a confident quote. Our best player finds playoffs EASIER than regular season.
                  I can't imagine how ape shit our fan base will be if kawhi drops 40 game 1.
                  To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

I can't imagine how ape shit our fan base will be if kawhi drops 40 game 1.
                    On a scale of 1 to 10......prolly 12
                    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                    - TGO

Comment

Any chance Markelle Fultz gets some burn?

Comment

Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
                        Seems like he's been shut down for good this year.

Comment

Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
                          No, He wears street clothes on the bench. Only burn he's getting is in his social media mentions
                          To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

I'm a little late to the party.
                            HOLY SHIT INTHEPAINT
                            Best. Thread. Ever.

THE TIME IS NOW.
                            LET'S FUCKIN GET DIS SHIIIIIIIIIIT

Comment

Shredder wrote: View Post
                              After watching Casey teams for the last bit, you saw him run the team great throughout the regular season. But by doing so, by putting so much weight on the regular season, you didn't really have a next gear to ramp up to come playoff time.
                              Yep same thing just happen in Detroit. Blake Griffin is hopping on one leg and just like Lowry did in previous years, the number 1 guy on the team is tired or injured for the playoffs.

Bucks are going to steam roll over Detroit
                              in 4 games, coach Bud is going to run circles around Casey.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                                I vote Meeks as OG's replacement. Meeks is a pro.

I love Miller but he's still a bit green. Would rather have Meeks get the playing time.

Absolutely no way do I want to see Lin out there.. he's garbage. And Norm worries me. He's so damn inconsistent.
                                I like the idea of Norm as the 8th man and Meeks as the 9th man. Don't need any more than that. Meeks has actually been pretty consistent since coming here, and he's a veteran. Norm has actually been looking pretty good again to me the last couple of weeks. Coming in hitting shots and being aggressive without too much out-of-control. A bit like the old Norm before last season.

Edit: Most of the difference I've seen between Norm and Lin recently is that Norm may be inconsistently good, but Lin is consistently bad.
                                Last edited by veda-parabolist; Sat Apr 13, 2019, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X