Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game 2, Playoffs Round 1: Orlando Magic @ Toronto Raptors - Tuesday April 16th 8pm ET, TSN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wall-e wrote: View Post
    Do you guys remember when Kyle Lowry used to drive to the hole, or post up (he had a mean fade-away), and shoot 3's. Bascially score at will from anywhere on the floor, and take over games, now he just settles for 3's all game. what happened to the man?
    Father Time + Walking Drive Thru = Thiccccc L zero wry

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post
      I see a lot of posters saying some variation of if "we are not true contenders unless we win convincingly tonight or take this series down in 5" or whatever. I don’t know what they’ve seen out of either us or Orlando to make them think this series would be easy, but think they might be disappointed.

How many teams in the entire league have we struggled more against this year than the Magic? Maybe two? They crushed us twice and the other three were rock fights. There’s a reason Danny Green ranked them last out of potential first round playoff opponents he wanted to face, and admitted we struggle against them.

That team is just uniquely constructed to counter most of the things we do best at an extremely high level. We are the most efficient team in transition and they are near tops at stopping that. We have been the best 3pt shooting team since we acquired Gasol and they are great with rotations and contesting shots with their length. Game 1 looked a lot like the first half start of the season, where even though we got some open shots they were not coming in rhythm off multiple passes being pinged around, as we have been doing the last few weeks.

I think we’ll win this series in 6 or 7 but the only way that’s happening is if we consistently play the type of suffocating defense we’ve only reched a couple of times this season for brief (minutes long) stretches to put games away. I don’t think there will be any blowouts. I expect them to look a lot like game 1, though hopefully with a couple more lowry makes and heavier minutes for the starters. And I don’t think that makes us any less of a contender.
      People keeps finding an excuse about the Raptors poor performance in G1. Newsflash - regular season head to head matchup means nothing.

The Raptors EASILY swept the Wizards in their regular season series in 2015. Y'all remembered what happened in the playoffs that year right?

The Magic are not a good team people. Those guys barely made the playoffs.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

People keeps finding an excuse about the Raptors poor performance in G1. Newsflash - regular season head to head matchup means nothing.

The Raptors EASILY swept the Wizards in their regular season series in 2015. Y'all remembered what happened in the playoffs that year right?

They were 8-2 in their last 10 games, best in the conference. Had the same record as the Raps since Jan 1, a huge sample size. They're not a bad team. Not great but certainly not bad

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

They were 8-2 in their last 10 games, best in the conference. Had the same record as the Raps since Jan 1, a huge sample size. They're not a bad team. Not great but certainly not bad
          8-2 against teams like NYK, Hornets, Pistons, Hawks, Heat.

Of all the teams battling for a playoff spot they had the easiest sked.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post
            I see a lot of posters saying some variation of if "we are not true contenders unless we win convincingly tonight or take this series down in 5" or whatever. I don’t know what they’ve seen out of either us or Orlando to make them think this series would be easy, but think they might be disappointed.

How many teams in the entire league have we struggled more against this year than the Magic? Maybe two? They crushed us twice and the other three were rock fights. There’s a reason Danny Green ranked them last out of potential first round playoff opponents he wanted to face, and admitted we struggle against them.

That team is just uniquely constructed to counter most of the things we do best at an extremely high level. We are the most efficient team in transition and they are near tops at stopping that. We have been the best 3pt shooting team since we acquired Gasol and they are great with rotations and contesting shots with their length. Game 1 looked a lot like the first half start of the season, where even though we got some open shots they were not coming in rhythm off multiple passes being pinged around, as we have been doing the last few weeks.

I think we’ll win this series in 6 or 7 but the only way that’s happening is if we consistently play the type of suffocating defense we’ve only reched a couple of times this season for brief (minutes long) stretches to put games away. I don’t think there will be any blowouts. I expect them to look a lot like game 1, though hopefully with a couple more lowry makes and heavier minutes for the starters. And I don’t think that makes us any less of a contender.
            Thats all fine and dandy but we blew the doors off the magic literally 2 weeks ago when they were playing desperate ball. We are the favorite to reach the finals before playoffs started in many eyes. I don't wanna hear about transition defense. Go out, play to your potential, and put this game away BEFORE the final few possessions can decide it on a fluke shot from a journeyman
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

8-2 against teams like NYK, Hornets, Pistons, Hawks, Heat.

Of all the teams battling for a playoff spot they had the easiest sked.
              In that same span they also beat Boston, Philly and Indiana, but keep cherry-picking and pushing your narrative.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

In that same span they also beat Boston, Philly and Indiana, but keep cherry-picking and pushing your narrative.
                Indiana without Oladipo, Sixers with a not 100% Joel Embiid and the Celtics late in the year weren't really taking any teams seriously.

Next.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Sometimes bad players can play over their expectations. Basketball is a random sport. You control what you can control and hope the other team doesnt shoot 50% from three, Orlando shot 50% from three. It happens, move on.

Comment

Indiana without Oladipo, Sixers with a not 100% Joel Embiid and the Celtics late in the year weren't really taking any teams seriously.

Next.
                    Yeah have to agree with this Indiana limped to the end of the season, Philly was a mess with Embiid ailing and the Celtics didn't give a shit that game. (I know I watched it)

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post

Sometimes bad players can play over their expectations. Basketball is a random sport. You control what you can control and hope the other team doesnt shoot 50% from three, Orlando shot 50% from three. It happens, move on.
                      Yeah but Lowry needs to get more than ZERO points. I don't care that he did all this other normal stuff. Nurse needs to be better too. He played Kawhi less than his regular season average. He had 3 minutes spans where none of Pascal, Kawhi or Gasol were on the court. Can't do that.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                        Marc fucking Davis. Fuck NBA
                        The odds of either Davis or Tony Brothers reffing tonight were roughly one million percent.
                        "Stop eating your sushi."
                        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post

Great post. In hindsight I was probably too optimistic about our prospects, because I think their talent level is fairly shit, but they overcame it with defense and scrappiness.

We'll need to absorb and utilize some of that same grit in the later rounds and especially the Finals if we get there.
                          Yeah I'm banking on clichéd playoff altruism "talent trumps everything" to endure over clichéd playoff altruism "it's a game of match ups" but it won't be a walk in the park

Comment

• Mitchell Duong wrote: View Post

Yeah but Lowry needs to get more than ZERO points. I don't care that he did all this other normal stuff. Nurse needs to be better too. He played Kawhi less than his regular season average. He had 3 minutes spans where none of Pascal, Kawhi or Gasol were on the court. Can't do that.
                            Yes I agree, just trying to counter the whole “They BAD we TRASH!!” narrative. Magic played very well relative to how good they should typically play, they deserve some credit for that. They arent a good team, but they are playing well.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post

Yes I agree, just trying to counter the whole “They BAD we TRASH!!” narrative. Magic played very well relative to how good they should typically play, they deserve some credit for that. They arent a good team, but they are playing well.
                              I think just like the Kyle Lowry arguments of the last couple days, both sides of this are missing the happy medium. Yes, the Magic are tough, and each game will likely be tough. NO, we should not need 7 games, or buzzer beaters every game.

The truth, as usual, is somewhere in between.
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Mitchell Duong wrote: View Post

Yeah have to agree with this Indiana limped to the end of the season, Philly was a mess with Embiid ailing and the Celtics didn't give a shit that game. (I know I watched it)
                                Thank you. They had an easy sked to end the season.
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X