What would YOU pay Lowry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CT2010 wrote: View Post
    I thought that the cap hit was averaged out over the duration of a contract. Landry's contract was backloaded to prohibit NY from matching, but we take a 6mil cap hit each season despite the contract. Isn't that right?
    ya know...I'm not 100% sure on that. I thought poison pill contracts were averaged out.
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• dzoni71 wrote: View Post
      Indiana has plenty of tradeable players that can be used to clear cap space to teams with cap room or trade exceptions (Scola, Hill, West) which when packaged with sweeteners (picks, cash) would be appealing to other teams. It's not a question of can Indiana do it, but rather would they?
      If I was Indiana's GM I would strongly consider this route as I truly feel Lowry teamed with George, Stephenson, Hibbert + West and/or Scola is a prime candidate for a ring.
      You have to also include the fact that Indiana is a small market team that does not want to pay the tax.

So giving up "sweeteners" is a very dangerous game, because the easiest way to keep talent stocked is to draft it. If Indiana stays basically capped out (especially if they bring back one or both of Stephenson/Turner), they can't really add to their core if have sacrificed some picks to put their team together.

And then there are possible chemistry concerns. That was already a problem for Indy this year, and adding another very strong personality in Lowry could just make things worse.

I don't know. I don't see Indiana as a threat. Think they're in a tough spot.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
        ya know...I'm not 100% sure on that. I thought poison pill contracts were averaged out.
        Yep, poison pills are the ones that are averaged out (except when poison pill gets matched by the player's old team). Normal frontloaded contracts are not.

Comment

• I don't know why you completely ignored the Lakers as a possibility, it makes the most sense. The only other team that's a possibility, barring a sign and trade or some trade to clear space to get Lowry is Detroit. Since, there is talk of moving Jennings to shooting guard, maybe Jennings can turn into a poor man's Ellis.

But, no, outside the Lakers throwing more money at Lowry than Toronto can afford. And going on a free agent spending spree like getting Stephenson and Ariza to attract Lowry. He will re-sign with Toronto. Also, anybody know where his kid is going to school? Is it at home in Philly? Since, that is a big deal for players and something fans too often overlook. And, also why I won't be surprised if the Raptors find a way to get Chuck Hayes back to Sac-town for that reason.

Edit: As to your rhetorical question as to who would sign a big contract with the worst team in the league? Al Jefferson is your answer .
          -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
          -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

• Make no mistake, Lowry will be our point guard for the next 3+ years. But I remember many years ago we had a warrior of a point guard who played strong and played through injuries, and if I recall correctly, that bit him in the ass and cut short his career. He was no all-star, the possibility remains that age/injuries will catch up eventually.

It's probably been said, but I would look to figure out the most that anyone else would be willing to pay him. What I'd add to that is maybe "throw in" another $1.5M as reward because <3 Lowry, and then make it so that the contract is slightly frontloaded. I doubt his style of play will be as effective when he's 32 or 33. He could evolve, sure, but we don't know that.
            your pal,
            ebrian

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
              Make no mistake, Lowry will be our point guard for the next 3+ years. But I remember many years ago we had a warrior of a point guard who played strong and played through injuries, and if I recall correctly, that bit him in the ass and cut short his career. He was no all-star, the possibility remains that age/injuries will catch up eventually.

It's probably been said, but I would look to figure out the most that anyone else would be willing to pay him. What I'd add to that is maybe "throw in" another $1.5M as reward because <3 Lowry, and then make it so that the contract is slightly frontloaded. I doubt his style of play will be as effective when he's 32 or 33. He could evolve, sure, but we don't know that.
              Exactly.

I have no problem paying him $10-12M now and 1-2 years but I don't want to be paying him over $10M when he is 30+.

Hopefully he recognizes the benefits to front loading for him and the team.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                Exactly.

I have no problem paying him $10-12M now and 1-2 years but I don't want to be paying him over $10M when he is 30+.

Hopefully he recognizes the benefits to front loading for him and the team.
                It's beneficial for Lowry. If it's beneficial for the team or not depends on Ujiri's free agency plans. Front loading would sacrifice some cap space in 2015, and if Ujiri is targeting that summer, that's obviously not a good thing.

Comment

• Every once in a while, I have memories of people complaining about giving up a 12th pick for Lowry.....and then I laugh hysterically.

And then I'm reminded of some who thought Calderon was the better player.....and then I need to be resuscitated.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    Every once in a while, I have memories of people complaining about giving up a 12th pick for Lowry.....and then I laugh hysterically.

And then I'm reminded of some who thought Calderon was the better player.....and then I need to be resuscitated.
                    I was all for trading the pick at first.

Then Lowry had another year of unfulfilled potential and thought differently.

I think it will be clear to all if it was a good trade or not next year.

If Lowry signs elsewhere or suffers the fate of so many others in contract years, I will forever look longingly at 'Po.

Comment

Every once in a while, I have memories of people complaining about giving up a 12th pick for Lowry.....and then I laugh hysterically.

Actually, I was really scared and upset about it when it looked like we might've made the playoffs last year and the pick would be conveyed a year later. Then we would have traded a 2014 pick for the Lowry we got last year....and I was struggling to breathe.

Comment

I was all for trading the pick at first.

Then Lowry had another year of unfulfilled potential and thought differently.

I think it will be clear to all if it was a good trade or not next year.

If Lowry signs elsewhere or suffers the fate of so many others in contract years, I will forever look longingly at 'Po.
                        white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        Actually, I was really scared and upset about it when it looked like we might've made the playoffs last year and the pick would be conveyed a year later. Then we would have traded a 2014 pick for the Lowry we got last year....and I was struggling to breathe.
                        And then I remember that I was for the Gay trade.....and so I sit down and be quiet.

Comment

On the other side of the coin (just because it's Friday and chaos is fun), if Lowry were to walk with no return for Toronto...

- Toronto gave up a 2013 1st round pick for nothing, which would have been an even better pick without Lowry on the roster

- The Gay trade may never have happened (Toronto would have kept their 2013 2nd round pick, which would have been in the 31-39 range)

- Toronto would have definitely tanked this season, providing a much higher lottery pick in the strong 2014 draft

- In addition to dumping Gay (if that trade happened in the first place), other assets might have been cashed-in for who know what, to help the tank/rebuild along

- Toronto would have a ton of cap space, starting last offseason, to build around Valanciunas, Ross, DeRozan, and the 2 high lottery picks from 2013 & 2014

For the record, I was fine with the Lowry trade. It looks even better with the benefit of hindsight.

It's just fun to speculate what unknown alternate realities may have looked like, and wonder which one would have resulted in a higher ceiling for the team this season, next season, the season after that, 5 seasons from now, etc...

As for the topic of the thread, I still have a hard time giving Lowry anything more than $10M per season. The only way I'd do more if it was something like 4 yrs / $40M (12, 10, 10, 8), ideally with the last year (or 2 if it's a 5 yr / $50M deal) being a team option.
                          Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri May 2, 2014, 12:51 PM.

Comment

God that trade looks wonderful. Lowry for Steven Adams when we already have JV? That is the single smartest trade of the BC era.
                            @Boymusic66

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                              On the other side of the coin (just because it's Friday and chaos is fun), if Lowry were to walk with no return for Toronto...

- Toronto gave up a 2013 1st round pick for nothing, which would have been an even better pick without Lowry on the roster

- The Gay trade may never have happened (Toronto would have kept their 2013 2nd round pick, which would likely have been in the 30-35 range)

- Toronto would have definitely tanked this season, providing a much higher lottery pick in the strong 2014 draft

- In addition to dumping Gay (had that trade happened in the first place), other assets might have been cashed-in for who know what, to help the tank/rebuild along

- Toronto would have a ton of cap space, starting this upcoming offseason, to build around Valanciunas, Ross, DeRozan, and the 2 high lottery picks from 2013 & 2014

For the record, I was fine with the Lowry trade. It looks even better with the benefit of hindsight.

It's just fun to speculate what unknown alternate realities may have looked like, and wonder which one would have resulted in a higher ceiling for the team this season, next season, the season after that, 5 seasons from now, etc...
                              Thank goodness for accelerated rebuilds otherwise known as a GM with an expiring contract.

Comment

Thank goodness for accelerated rebuilds otherwise known as a GM with an expiring contract.
                                It looks muuuuuuch better when compared to the alternate reality that would have seen Nash sign with Toronto... Nash and Fields for a combined $15-16M per season... now that's something to really shudder about!

Comment

Working...
                                X