X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stooley
    replied
    magoon wrote: View Post
    At this point, if we beat Brooklyn and Lowry performs well against Miami, I think anything less than $12m per year for four years is a pipe dream. When Miami's Big Three opts into the final year of their contracts (almost certain) and Dirk and Duncan resign with Dallas and San Antonio (definite), Lowry is going to end up the biggest free agent in 2014 after Carmelo Anthony, possibly third team All-NBA, and SOMEBODY is gonna offer him a giant deal. He might sign with us for less because here he's the leader and he knows he's a good fit, but if somebody offers him sixteen per year for four years - and that seems quite plausible to me - you have to wonder what happens.
    The only team that even can offer that is the lakers. But theyre gonna be gunning for KLove and Westbrook next year, I don't necessarily see them blowing their load so early.

But yeah, otherwise you're right. Fingers crossed.

Leave a comment:

• magoon
    replied
    At this point, if we beat Brooklyn and Lowry performs well against Miami, I think anything less than $12m per year for four years is a pipe dream. When Miami's Big Three opts into the final year of their contracts (almost certain) and Dirk and Duncan resign with Dallas and San Antonio (definite), Lowry is going to end up the biggest free agent in 2014 after Carmelo Anthony, possibly third team All-NBA, and SOMEBODY is gonna offer him a giant deal. He might sign with us for less because here he's the leader and he knows he's a good fit, but if somebody offers him sixteen per year for four years - and that seems quite plausible to me - you have to wonder what happens.

Leave a comment:

• Raps76
    replied
    Make no mistake Lowry will be signed by Masai this offseason!

Ideally we want to give Lowry as little as possible to benefit our team financially going forward and people may say you use his history of attitude problems and injuries, or that it's not a great market so maybe we can do $8-9mil. I say zero chance of that happening after this incredible year of exuding so much leadership including this playoff run. Regardless of where this run ends and the fact he's breaking out in his 7th year (also a contract yr) Masai is going to reward him for putting this team on his back, playing the right away, and being such a heart & soul player. He'll get between 10M-12.5M over 4yrs (team option on the 4th yr) would be my guess.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    It looks muuuuuuch better when compared to the alternate reality that would have seen Nash sign with Toronto... Nash and Fields for a combined $15-16M per season... now that's something to really shudder about!
    Yeah, but Nash would've won his 3rd MVP here....and would've suited up for TFC.

Leave a comment:

• TSF
    replied
    5 year 52 mil is perfect. Plus (as much as I hate saying this) in the later stages, a 2 year, 18 million dollar deal with a team option for an above average starting point guard is a good trade chip.

(Great table btw)

Leave a comment:

• OldSkoolCool
    replied
    Ok so I came up with three deals we could offer Lowry and calculated the cost against cap. All of them 5 years front loaded with maximum signing bonuses of 15% of total compensation with 4 years guaranteed with the fifth as a team option. I used the Early Bird Exception in order to have a salary decrease of 7.5%. First = $60,258411.72. Second = $55,954239.45. Third = $51,650067.19

Deal 1
    Year Base Salary Signing Bonus Against Cap Total Against Cap
    1 11,740,309.56 2,259,690.44 14,000,000
    2 10,690,309.56 2,259,690.44 12,950,000
    3 9,719,059.56 2,259,690.44 11,978,750
    4 8,820,653.31 2,259,690.44 11,080,343.75
    5 - TO 10,249,317.97 - 10,249,317.97
    Total 51,219,649.96 9,038,761.76 60,258,411.72
    Deal 2
    1 10,901,716.02 2,098,283.98 13,000,000
    2 9,926,716.02 2,098,283.98 12,025,000
    3 9,024,841.02 2,098,283.98 11,123,125
    4 8,190,606.65 2,098,283.98 10,288,890.63
    5 - TO 9,517,223.83 - 9,517,223.83
    Total 47,561,103.54 8,393,135.92 55,954,239.45
    Deal 3
    1 10,063,122.48 1,936,877.52 12,000,000
    2 9,163,122.48 1,936,877.52 11,100,000
    3 8,330,622.48 1,936,877.52 10,267,500
    4 7,560,559.98 1,936,877.52 9,497,437.50
    5 - TO 8,785,129.69 - 8,785,129.69
    Total 43,902,557.11 7,747,510.08 51,650,067.19
    Personally, Deal #3 is perfect. Lowry gets a 5 year 52 mil deal while in the latter stages of his deal we are only paying out 10.2, 9.5 and a team option of 8.7 mil. Those are excellent numbers against the cap

Deal number 2 isn't bad as his 4th year is only worth 10.2, and the team option is at 9.5.

Leave a comment:

• TSF
    replied
    It looks muuuuuuch better when compared to the alternate reality that would have seen Nash sign with Toronto... Nash and Fields for a combined $15-16M per season... now that's something to really shudder about!
    I would be praying that some team hired David Kahn.

Leave a comment:

• JimiCliff
    replied
    Tanktastic!

Leave a comment:

• white men can't jump
    replied
    I think I just threw up a bit in my mouth...

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Thank goodness for accelerated rebuilds otherwise known as a GM with an expiring contract.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    On the other side of the coin (just because it's Friday and chaos is fun), if Lowry were to walk with no return for Toronto...

- Toronto gave up a 2013 1st round pick for nothing, which would have been an even better pick without Lowry on the roster

- The Gay trade may never have happened (Toronto would have kept their 2013 2nd round pick, which would likely have been in the 30-35 range)

- Toronto would have definitely tanked this season, providing a much higher lottery pick in the strong 2014 draft

- In addition to dumping Gay (had that trade happened in the first place), other assets might have been cashed-in for who know what, to help the tank/rebuild along

- Toronto would have a ton of cap space, starting this upcoming offseason, to build around Valanciunas, Ross, DeRozan, and the 2 high lottery picks from 2013 & 2014

For the record, I was fine with the Lowry trade. It looks even better with the benefit of hindsight.

It's just fun to speculate what unknown alternate realities may have looked like, and wonder which one would have resulted in a higher ceiling for the team this season, next season, the season after that, 5 seasons from now, etc...
    Thank goodness for accelerated rebuilds otherwise known as a GM with an expiring contract.

Leave a comment:

• TSF
    replied
    Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Every once in a while, I have memories of people complaining about giving up a 12th pick for Lowry.....and then I laugh hysterically.
    God that trade looks wonderful. Lowry for Steven Adams when we already have JV? That is the single smartest trade of the BC era.

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    Every once in a while, I have memories of people complaining about giving up a 12th pick for Lowry.....and then I laugh hysterically.

And then I'm reminded of some who thought Calderon was the better player.....and then I need to be resuscitated.
    On the other side of the coin (just because it's Friday and chaos is fun), if Lowry were to walk with no return for Toronto...

- Toronto gave up a 2013 1st round pick for nothing, which would have been an even better pick without Lowry on the roster

- The Gay trade may never have happened (Toronto would have kept their 2013 2nd round pick, which would have been in the 31-39 range)

- Toronto would have definitely tanked this season, providing a much higher lottery pick in the strong 2014 draft

- In addition to dumping Gay (if that trade happened in the first place), other assets might have been cashed-in for who know what, to help the tank/rebuild along

- Toronto would have a ton of cap space, starting last offseason, to build around Valanciunas, Ross, DeRozan, and the 2 high lottery picks from 2013 & 2014

For the record, I was fine with the Lowry trade. It looks even better with the benefit of hindsight.

It's just fun to speculate what unknown alternate realities may have looked like, and wonder which one would have resulted in a higher ceiling for the team this season, next season, the season after that, 5 seasons from now, etc...

As for the topic of the thread, I still have a hard time giving Lowry anything more than $10M per season. The only way I'd do more if it was something like 4 yrs / $40M (12, 10, 10, 8), ideally with the last year (or 2 if it's a 5 yr / $50M deal) being a team option.
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri May 2, 2014, 12:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    I was all for trading the pick at first.

Then Lowry had another year of unfulfilled potential and thought differently.

I think it will be clear to all if it was a good trade or not next year.

If Lowry signs elsewhere or suffers the fate of so many others in contract years, I will forever look longingly at 'Po.
    white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Actually, I was really scared and upset about it when it looked like we might've made the playoffs last year and the pick would be conveyed a year later. Then we would have traded a 2014 pick for the Lowry we got last year....and I was struggling to breathe.
    And then I remember that I was for the Gay trade.....and so I sit down and be quiet.

Leave a comment:

• white men can't jump
    replied

And then I'm reminded of some who thought Calderon was the better player.....and then I need to be resuscitated.
    Actually, I was really scared and upset about it when it looked like we might've made the playoffs last year and the pick would be conveyed a year later. Then we would have traded a 2014 pick for the Lowry we got last year....and I was struggling to breathe.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X