What would YOU pay Lowry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiggins wrote: View Post
    I'm sure ujiri has much more sense than most people. There's almost no market for Lowry and he's had a career year, which wasn't even that great and very little to no room to improve. How many players have their career year 7/8 years in and keep improving? In addition, there's a perfectly viable, much cheaper option sitting on the bench that has much higher potential. The idiots screaming to resign him for 10-12m are going to be the same whiners complaining about it later and wondering how to get rid of it when he returns to his average. Every year of his contract will likely be worse than this year. He would be a nice piece at a decent price but that won't happen.
    Woo! Your posts are so rare, it's like seeing big foot. And equally as fantastic.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• Wiggins wrote: View Post
      I'm sure ujiri has much more sense than most people. There's almost no market for Lowry and he's had a career year, which wasn't even that great and very little to no room to improve. How many players have their career year 7/8 years in and keep improving? In addition, there's a perfectly viable, much cheaper option sitting on the bench that has much higher potential. The idiots screaming to resign him for 10-12m are going to be the same whiners complaining about it later and wondering how to get rid of it when he returns to his average. Every year of his contract will likely be worse than this year. He would be a nice piece at a decent price but that won't happen.
      Woo! Your posts are so rare, it's like seeing big foot. And equally as fantastic.
      "Bruno?
      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• dzoni71 wrote: View Post
        Actually I am most worried about Indiana. True, they do not have cap room, but that does not mean they cannot create cap room if they really wanted (non-guaranteed contracts, cap exemptions). They look like a total failure this year, have no solution at PG and a champion contender. They sign Lowry and that puts them over the top.
        I can't see how they would clear cap space, short of trading Hibbert or something.

Comment

• BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
          I can't see how they would clear cap space, short of trading Hibbert or something.
          They might if they get bounced early.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
            Let's rule out who already has a significant investment in a point guard.

Atlanta - Jeff Teague (coming into his own at roughly 8m per year)
            Boston - Rajon Rondo (healing up nicely at north of 10m a year)
            Brooklyn - Deron Williams (3 years 60 million left) also fuck Brooklyn
            Charlotte - Kemba Walker (coming into his own still on rookie deal)
            Cleveland - Kyrie Irving
            Chicago - Derrick Rose (maxed out)
            Denver - Ty Lawson (good contract)
            Detroit - Brandon Jennings (not great but tied up financially)
            Golden State - Steph Curry (all star on a favorable contract)
            Los Angeles Clippers - Chris Paul (all star maxed out)
            New Orleans - Jrue Holiday (locked up)
            Memphis - Conley (good contract-great player-great fit)
            Minnesota - Ricky Rubio (still on rookie deal)
            Oklahoma - Westbrook (all star maxed out)
            Philadephia - MCW (rebuilding - good to great player in the making)
            Phoenix - Goran or Bledsoe (take your pick, either way PG is locked up)
            Portland - Damian Clutch Lillard (not going anywhere)
            San Antonio - Tony Parker is showing no signs of slowing down
            Washington - John Wall having a breakout year

By my estimate that takes 19 teams out of the market for Kyle Lowry's services

Rebuilding

Orlando - haven't heard any rumblings of wanting him but they certainly aren't ready to compete.
            Utah - Drafted Trey Burke, who knows if he will work out...still a project in the very competitive west
            Milwuakee - Brandon Knight would best be served as a sixth man. However who the hell would willingly sign for the worst team in the league during the prime of their career?
            Los Angeles Lakers - Got a year tied up in Steve Nash, no coach they have the money but not a likely destination.

So that leaves 7 teams
            Houston
            Miami
            Sacramento
            New York
            Toronto
            Indiana
            Dallas

Of those teams the Knicks, Pacers, and Heat are capped out

That leaves Houston, Dallas, Toronto and Sacramento

Houston could be tricky because McHale is still there.
            Sacramento is a perennial failure.

In my estimation only Dallas with its veteran core, cap space offer an attractive landing spot.

So you see we should not be shitting the bed, because we are almost exclusively bidding against ourselves
            Sacramento is capped out as well.

Dallas is an interesting idea. A wing or a center would make more sense for that team. The Calderon/Monta combination provides many of the same things that Lowry would provide minus defense. But if they can't get a center or a wing I could see them looking at Lowry.

I'm not sure why you ruled out Los Angeles. They seem like the team to worry about. Yes, they have Steve Nash and no coach, but they'll get a coach and Nash isn't reliable at all.

Detroit might be a sleeper option. They have cap space and they are going to have a new GM. Dumars' job depended on the Jennings experiment. The new GM doesn't have to continue it. It might make more sense to bench Jennings and use him as the 6th man and sign a good point guard.

But the Lakers and the Rockets are two teams I worry about the most.

Comment

• bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
              They might if they get bounced early.
              We'll see. It sounds like a fantasy scenario. Fans trade every player after a bad series, GMs hardly ever do it. Even the most unpatient GMs -- and Bird is one of the patient ones.

Comment

• And just how are the Rockets going to be able to afford Lowry? Parsons is going to demand a big contract and Lin and Asik are really hard to trade with their PP contracts.

Lowry I don't think would head to Detroit either. Jennings+Smith is a combo I don't think anyone wants to play with (at least I wouldn't)

Comment

• BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                  Indiana has plenty of tradeable players that can be used to clear cap space to teams with cap room or trade exceptions (Scola, Hill, West) which when packaged with sweeteners (picks, cash) would be appealing to other teams. It's not a question of can Indiana do it, but rather would they?
                  If I was Indiana's GM I would strongly consider this route as I truly feel Lowry teamed with George, Stephenson, Hibbert + West and/or Scola is a prime candidate for a ring.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                    And just how are the Rockets going to be able to afford Lowry? Parsons is going to demand a big contract and Lin and Asik are really hard to trade with their PP contracts.

Lowry I don't think would head to Detroit either. Jennings+Smith is a combo I don't think anyone wants to play with (at least I wouldn't)
                    Parsons has another year on his contract. Judging by the rumors, they could've traded Asik easily, but they wanted picks in return. I imagine Lin is much harder to move.

Comment

• Was not aware that Parsons had a team option for $960,000....damn that sucks for him.

And picks for Asik is not happening. Though Miami should really look hard at him this offseason.

Comment

• Hey Wiggins...don't call me an idiot.
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• dzoni71 wrote: View Post
                          Indiana has plenty of tradeable players that can be used to clear cap space to teams with cap room or trade exceptions (Scola, Hill, West) which when packaged with sweeteners (picks, cash) would be appealing to other teams. It's not a question of can Indiana do it, but rather would they?
                          If I was Indiana's GM I would strongly consider this route as I truly feel Lowry teamed with George, Stephenson, Hibbert + West and/or Scola is a prime candidate for a ring.
                          Tbh, I don't think Hill or West are tradable for cap space. That's a lot of money, long contracts. And teams would simply extort them when they see that the Pacers are desperately trying to move one of those.
                          I suppose if they add 5 1st round picks, maybe something happens, but I'll start worrying when I see it.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                            Was not aware that Parsons had a team option for $960,000....damn that sucks for him.

And picks for Asik is not happening. Though Miami should really look hard at him this offseason.
                            I don't know if they can get picks or not but in the scenario we are talking about -- they want cap space for Lowry, not necessarily picks -- he shouldn't be hard to move.

Comment

Hey Charlie V was a stud...............................
                              In Grade School!!

Comment

Id backload both Vasquez and Patterson as I believe their best basketball is ahead of them. That should offset the frontloading, and become increasingly irrelevant as the cap increases
                                I thought that the cap hit was averaged out over the duration of a contract. Landry's contract was backloaded to prohibit NY from matching, but we take a 6mil cap hit each season despite the contract. Isn't that right?

Comment

Working...
                                X